Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 11:53 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Cheaper and better health care for all.
Coal will come roaring back.
You will be sick of winning.
No Americans will be protecting oil....putting their lives on the line.
100's of miles of new wall will be built with Mexico paying.
Budget deficit will be erased.
No corruption will be present in his admin.

I could go on, but what is the point?
Please keep them coming , it's hilarious how none
of these things have come to pass.
The corruption comment is the best one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 12:14 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
The economy is so weak the Fed has now had to lower interest rates 3 meetings in a row.

If the economy were booming the Fed would be raising rates, not lowering them.

Lowering interest rates is a form of stimulus. Thus, the Fed is saying the economy needs stimulus because it is weak.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Please keep them coming , it's hilarious how none
of these things have come to pass.
The corruption comment is the best one!!
Infrastructure - will be amazing to see.

That's a big one I left out......

Now...we are doing so great that the Fed has to lower interest rates even more. NEVER done except when things are lagging.

Unfortunately, most people don't qualify for those rates anyway....and, if they did, they still couldn't afford to live even with 3% interest rates.

No doubt the forgotten masses are doing worse and worse. If you have over 3 or 4 million saved you are OK....but I don't think that represents most Americans. In fact, that's about 3% of the country. Even with 4 million...that will run out quickly at 120K a year for assisted living and other such costs (for a couple...plus the needs of their kids, etc. who may be disabled, etc.).....

Things are great....for the top 2% - stable for another 5-10% and suck for the rest who have to worry that normal life events will break them.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
He's a pathological liar; we all know that. But I can live with 3% growth, regardless of how mediocre the President.
Please explain.....that is, first of all we don't have that growth.

But more importantly, tell us why a higher cost of health care, education and the security state benefits you personally??

I mean.....I tend to look at higher cost health care for all Americans as a bad thing...not as "growth".

Old 10-30-2019, 01:27 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
He's a pathological liar; we all know that. But I can live with 3% growth, regardless of how mediocre the President.
It's not 3%.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:37 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
An aging population makes it very, very difficult for the US to achieve even 3% growth over the long run. Not enough consumers, not enough workers, the younger generations deep in debt and mired in stagnant wage growth as they are forced to compete with workers in India, China, and the Asian Pacific. (and I have no idea how AI is going to pley into this). It doesn't matter who the president is or which party holds Congress. A hard rain's gonna fall. Sucks to be young.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:51 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Prior to his claim in my OP, here is a similar claim he made in his 2016 campaign:

Trump: My plan is the most pro-growth ‘perhaps in the history of our country'
Quote:
Donald Trump thinks American GDP can grow more than 4 percent under his policies, more than double the average rate the U.S. has seen in this century.

“My great economists don’t want me to say this, but I think we can do better than that,” he said Thursday in a speech to the Economic Club of New York.

Earlier Thursday, his campaign said in a fact sheet that its planned tax cuts and deregulation will boost average annual GDP growth to 3.5 percent and “create as many as 25 million new jobs” in the next decade. The U.S. economy grew at roughly 2 percent in 2015 and last grew at a 4 percent annual rate in 2000.
I can't decide whether it's funnier that Trump believed that, or his Cultists believed it?

BTW, 25 million jobs in a decade would be an average of about 208,000 per month. Trump so far is averaging 187K per month - and that's BEFORE the half million jobs that will be subtracted from 2018's numbers take effect.

Last edited by James Bond 007; 10-30-2019 at 02:07 PM..

Old 10-30-2019, 02:10 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Quote:
Please explain.....that is, first of all we don't have that growth.
I never said we did. But, per the original post speaking of a 3% growth rate, I could live with that growth rate over the long term. 6% growth rates are probably going to be more common among newly-risen economies, but they aren't sustainable without some underlying strategic factor that constantly enhances the economic productivity. Tax cuts ain't it; you can only cut so far before it becomes damaging to the economy through failing infrastructure, crime, &c. We might achieve it through, say, automation, better education, new technologies, a cure for addiction, &c.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:18 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Yes, because you aren't looking where the growth is......

Health Care - means YOU pay more. Growth from "tax cuts" means larger debt for you and your children and grandchildren. More expenditures for the Security State don't prop up Joe and Jane six pack.

"Growth in the last number of years has been in the realm of 15%"

"Not only is that less than the 20% increase registered on a broad basket of goods over the span, but key costs that play an outsize role in middle-class budgets have increased much more: home prices are up 26%, medical care 33%, and college costs a whopping 45%."

So you can become much less confused when you realize that the harder you work, ,the further behind you are getting...when GDP comes from debt and from higher predatory health care costs that the gubment refuses to rein in.
Somehow I don't think that's the same argument that Pedro was making.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:28 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That is what Trump said on December 16, 2017. A video of him saying that is at the link.

Remember that? Be sure to read the comments by the Trump fans at the bottom of the article. They are a perfect example of just naiive Trump fans can really be. They actually thought that would happen, and ridiculed democrats and Obama for not being able to do it! One commenter was even more outrageous:

Nearly two years later, a dose of reality is due.

You can find quarterly real GDP growth here. Below are the numbers since Trump took office, with the quarter in which he uttered those words in red. You can also find the same data on the BEA website here.

2017-Q1: +2.3%
2017-Q2: +2.2%
2017-Q3: +3.2%
2017-Q4: +3.5%
2018-Q1: +2.5%
2018-Q2: +3.5%
2018-Q3: +2.9%
2018-Q4: +1.1%
2019-Q1: +3.1%
2019-Q2: +2.0%

Do you see any 4%? Any 5%? Any 6%?

No, you don't. Even with the tax cuts Trump said would usher in a period of mega-growth, we see nothing of the kind. All you see is rather mediocre 2's, a few 3's and one 1%, same as we saw under Obama.

The point here is to demonstrate the fantasy world Trump and his fans live in. Just because Trump says something is going to happen, does not mean it will.
Nope, I sure didn't see it. Now, some parts of the USA are doing better than others. When Trump had made that statement, I had been laid off and my unemployment benefits ran out 3 months earlier(Georgia only gives you UBI for 14 weeks). Trump is full of hot air. That is all the numbers tell me. "Make America Great Again" my foot. That is complete and utter bull feces. First of all, America hasn't been great for everybody, until about 1970. Second, when did America stop "being great"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies