Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 09:12 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
The reason intelligent people who don't stand to directly benefit from it would oppose it would be becaus

1. People aren't owed anything based on the color of their skin.

2. Giving things to people based on the color of their skin is fundamentally bigoted.

3. You'd be giving things to the defendants of slave owners paid for by the descendants of not only non slave owners, but also the descendants of those who fought to end slavery.

4. There is an economic level playing field, those who deserve it can succeed, that's all that anyone is owed.

I personally find it to be refreshing that so many black people oppose it honestly. We both know the gatekeeping and social pressure put on black people to ensure ideological homogeneity. For so many to stand on principle against rational self interest on top of those pressures is pretty amazing to me.
It would not be based upon THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN. It would be based upon being a descendant of enslaved and Jimmied (Jim Crowed) Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 09:14 AM

21,483 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yet you’re fine with the U.S. pouring billions into Israel. You’re fine in taking money from people who were oppressed IN THIS COUNTRY to give to your fellow Jews in Israel. Spare me the hypocrisy.

I’m in favor of putting the money given to Israel into giving free college education to descendants of American slaves and to improving the grade schools in predominantly African-American communities.
It’s funny that you single out aid to Israel when we give aid to many different countries. Why do you think only Israeli aid should be abolished?

Old 10-27-2019, 09:16 AM

4,512 posts, read 1,867,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Don’t try to tell me where I am from. I was born right here in the U.S. and to me, you’re playing the victim. My parents are immigrants. It’s not my fault these things happened but it is best to right the wrongs. Rather than a check, build up community schools. Give descendants free college education. There are numerous ways to accomplish this.
Unless money is directly given to each Black person in this country, there’s no hope of this argument going away. They have access to schools already. This is about cash for discretionary spending (iPhones, clothing, cars, etc).

Old 10-27-2019, 09:17 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,562,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Life is like an endless relay race. The gun went off, to start this race in America, hundreds of year ago. I hope you are intelligent enough to understand what a relay race is. If not, its a race of "teams" around an oval track. One member of the team starts at an equal position when the gun goes off. They then run a set distance and pass the baton to the next member of the team. The first team that gets its member past the finish line wins.

In life, there is no equal starting point, in this American relay. In life, there is no known "finish line" in this American relay. In life, each generation starts running from where the previous generation that handed them the bottom existed in the race. It's important to note that there is no FRESH START. There is no avoiding starting from whence your previous generation existed. If they are behind, the next generation inherits that deficit. Changes in rules or laws during the race does not reset all the teams back to equal starts from the point of the rule or change in laws. Rules are changed, but your position in the race does not get adjusted.

If things were unfair in the past to a team and the team is running behind as a result, they can theoretically NEVER catch up if they are EQUAL to those teams in front of them. The only way to catch or pass those in front is if you are actually SUPERIOR to them and or THEY ARE SLACKING. What a reparations effort would or should attempt is to remove the inherited deficit that the team accrued during a period where the team was treated unfairly.

Right now, white people are enjoying a lead born from the unfairness of others in the past. Black people, are suffering a deficit born from the unfairness to blacks in the past. Boosting blacks up does not change the absolute position of whites, only the RELATIVE position of whites. In other words, whites would not be hurt in an absolute metric....only in the relative metric of BEING OVER BLACKS.
That's an incredibly foolish way to look at things and is at odds with reality.

Apparently you only see people as merely members of identity groups rather than as individuals and I think that defeatist mindset is about the saddest thing I've seen today. Hopefully one day you realize the error of viewing the world as series' of teams based on arbitrary nonsense like skin color, ethnicity, or nationality.

There is nothing holding people back but the hurdles created by themselves and their families. No one owes anyone anything and failure cannot be blamed on skin color, ethnicity, or nationality.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Life is like an endless relay race. The gun went off, to start this race in America, hundreds of year ago. I hope you are intelligent enough to understand what a relay race is. If not, its a race of "teams" around an oval track. One member each team starts at an equal position when the gun goes off. They then run a set distance and pass the baton to the next member of the team. The first team that gets its member past the finish line wins.

In life, there is no equal starting point, in this American relay. In life, there is no known "finish line" in this American relay. In life, each generation starts running from where the previous generation that handed them the baton existed in the race. It's important to note that there is no FRESH START. There is no avoiding starting from whence your previous generation existed. If they are behind, the next generation inherits that deficit. Changes in rules or laws during the race does not reset all the teams back to equal starts from the point of the rule or change in laws. Rules are changed, but your position in the race does not get adjusted.

If things were unfair in the past to a team and the team is running behind as a result, they can theoretically NEVER catch up if they are EQUAL to those teams in front of them. The only way to catch or pass those in front is if you are actually SUPERIOR to them and or THEY ARE SLACKING. What a reparations effort would or should attempt is to remove the inherited deficit that the team accrued during a period where the team was treated unfairly.

Right now, white people are enjoying a lead born from the unfairness of others in the past. Black people are suffering a deficit born from the unfairness to blacks in the past. Boosting blacks up does not change the absolute position of whites, only the RELATIVE position of whites. In other words, whites would not be hurt in an absolute metric....only in the relative metric of BEING OVER BLACKS.
Well, my relay started from a poor white rural family who had no inherited wealth and suffered through the Depression, the Dust Bowl, and fighting in WWII. My mom had no advantages and neither did my dad. I grew up in the same conditions as many poor black people.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:22 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,913,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
This is SO true. I always hear advocates for black reparations talk about inherited white wealth as if white people are all wealthy due to their rich families.

My grandparents were dirt poor, and my parents are college graduates - who have lived an upper-middle class life. NO inherited wealth. In fact, the Millionaire Next Door reports that 93% of millionaires today inherited nothing from their parents. This whole bit about inherited wealth is just a myth.
Having access to advantages doesn't guarantee that your family was able to convert those advantages to your benefit. It doesn't guarantee success or that you won't fall victim to a calamity. The issue is people who never had access to those advantages in the first place.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:25 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
That's an incredibly foolish way to look at things and is at odds with reality.

Apparently you only see people as merely members of identity groups rather than as individuals and I think that defeatist mindset is about the saddest thing I've seen today. Hopefully one day you realize the error of viewing the world as series' of teams based on arbitrary nonsense like skin color, ethnicity, or nationality.

There is nothing holding people back but the hurdles created by themselves and their families. No one owes anyone anything and failure cannot be blamed on skin color, ethnicity, or nationality.
Logic is foolish? First you say people are not intelligent for supporting reparations....now you are saying I am foolish. I am starting to see a pattern here. To not agree with you is to lack intelligence or to be foolish.

What I am saying is "how did they identify a population to oppress them"? Is it not logical to use that same means of identification to REPAIR the damage that was done? Is it not logical to track the damage done from the oppression by looking at those with the identity markers used to oppress them?

Are you are "American" or just a self contained individual that is his own nation? Is not being an "American" an "Identity" that you willfully and proudly embrace? If YOU embrace an identity....then why are you saying it wrong that there are sub identities? You have no problem with AMERICAn interest around the world, even though you are an INDIVIDUAL. If someone told you that it was foolish and playing identity politics to see yourself as an American....and not as an individual in this world.....what would you say?

Old 10-27-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Having access to advantages doesn't guarantee that your family was able to convert those advantages to your benefit. It doesn't guarantee success or that you won't fall victim to a calamity. The issue is people who never had access to those advantages in the first place.
Except they already have advantages now. Do well in school and your kids will be able to go to just about any college they apply to, with grants.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:27 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,913,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Well, my relay started from a poor white rural family who had no inherited wealth and suffered through the Depression, the Dust Bowl, and fighting in WWII. My mom had no advantages and neither did my dad. I grew up in the same conditions as many poor black people.
If they fought in WWII, they had access to the GI Bill to better themselves. Whose fault is it that they didn't? Conversely, many black veterans were deliberately blocked from using this resource. Whose fault was that?

Old 10-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
If they fought in WWII, they had access to the GI Bill to better themselves. Whose fault is it that they didn't? Conversely, many black veterans were deliberately blocked from using this resource. Whose fault was that?
It sure isn’t my fault. And my granddad didn’t go to college. So what? He didn’t have to in his day. He died pretty young and my grandmother didn’t leave my mom anything. It’s okay. She needed to live on what was left to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies