Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 09:32 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Logic is foolish? First you say people are not intelligent for supporting reparations....now you are saying I am foolish. I am starting to see a pattern here. To not agree with you is to lack intelligence or to be foolish.

What I am saying is "how did they identify a population to oppress them"? Is it not logical to use that same means of identification to REPAIR the damage that was done? Is it not logical to track the damage done from the oppression by looking at those with the identity markers used to oppress them?

Are you are "American" or just a self contained individual that is his own nation? Is not being an "American" an "Identity" that you willfully and proudly embrace? If YOU embrace an identity....then why are you saying it wrong that there are sub identities?
There of course are identities and sub identities..... but they are irrelevant to the success or failures in your individual life.

Who your ancestors were simply does not matter... which is why no one is owed anything even if they think their ancestors were mistreated.

Don't look at someone else giving you a handout as your only path to success. Black people neither need nor deserve any assistance in succeeding in life, they'll either do it on their own as many have, or they don't deserve it just like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 09:37 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It’s funny that you single out aid to Israel when we give aid to many different countries. Why do you think only Israeli aid should be abolished?
No, it actually is not. Israel receives more aid than any other nation and this country has great sympathy about what Jews endured all the way in Germany. We do far more for Israel than we do others. Nowhere did I say it should be abolished.

However, no other nation should receive priority over American citizens whose ancestors were enslaved here and endured Jim Crow until the 1960s. Since Israel receives the most, start significantly cutting from them first.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:39 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Well, my relay started from a poor white rural family who had no inherited wealth and suffered through the Depression, the Dust Bowl, and fighting in WWII. My mom had no advantages and neither did my dad. I grew up in the same conditions as many poor black people.
When white folks tell stories like this, and I totally accept the veracity of your story, you are comparing yourself to other whites. My folks were born in the depression and they did not notice any difference than any other time. When depression was over they could not tell in their lives.

Do you honestly think that POOR white people and POOR black people were seen as EQUAL in the 1930's? All you had to do was break out of poverty.....all black people had to do was escape out of blackness. No amount of education or hard work would allow you to escape being black in 1930. This is not to suggest that SOME blacks did not manage to be successful. There are always the EXCEPTIONAL and the LUCKY in any population and therefore those who beat the odds. I am talking about the TYPICAL. The TYPICAL black person had no escape for blackness.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Unless money is directly given to each Black person in this country, there’s no hope of this argument going away. They have access to schools already. This is about cash for discretionary spending (iPhones, clothing, cars, etc).
No it isn’t. That’s your thought process because that is the mindset that you hold. I am of African descent and not a descendant or American slaves. There is a segment of the population just like me who are not looking for money because we are not African-American. So your claim about each black person fails easily based on that alone. There are ways to give back without a check.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:42 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yet you’re fine with the U.S. pouring billions into Israel. You’re fine in taking money from people who were oppressed IN THIS COUNTRY to give to your fellow Jews in Israel. Spare me the hypocrisy.

I’m in favor of putting the money given to Israel into giving free college education to descendants of American slaves and to improving the grade schools in predominantly African-American communities.
Wow. LIsten to this liberal ^^^ talk with disdain about me and my fellow Jews. As if we needed any more evidence as to the degree to which liberals harbor animosity toward Jews. (And thanks for demonstrating the overlap between the anti-Israel liberal attitude and the disdain toward Jews.)

Why bring Israel and Jews into this discussion at all?

Old 10-27-2019, 09:42 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
No, it actually is not. Israel receives more aid than any other nation and this country has great sympathy about what Jews endured all the way in Germany. We do far more for Israel than we do others. Nowhere did I say it should be abolished.

However, no other nation should receive priority over American citizens whose ancestors were enslaved here and endured Jim Crow until the 1960s. Since Israel receives the most, start significantly cutting from them first.
You did say take all the aid to Israel and give it to black people in the form of reparations. Not in those words of course, but see your reply to Rachel. Of all the aid to countries we give, we really only get quid pro quo from one of them in useful technology, and that is Israel. We give aid to Palestine too. And many African countries. And many Latin American countries. And many Middle East countries.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
It sure isn’t my fault. And my granddad didn’t go to college. So what? He didn’t have to in his day. He died pretty young and my grandmother didn’t leave my mom anything. It’s okay. She needed to live on what was left to her.
The fact is that they had the opportunity, whether they chose to better themselves or not. They were not blocked due to their race.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:44 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Actually, Jim Crow reparation is also being supported, as well as redlining, which was a thing in the north in places like Chicago. But, as the decades pass and that generation is dying off, that argument too will be nipped in the bud. It's a stalling tactic that is being played. In the next couple of decades the opposing side will then say " Nobody alive lived during Jim Crow". I can see why those who are so adamant in support (starting with the creators of #ADOS) for reparation are going hard for it now. If it doesn't happen in the next 5-10 years, I don't think it will happen. It's really now or never.
Focus on people who were actually victims and still alive. In other words, focus on Jim Crow and not slavery. Focusing on slavery makes the argument easy to be overtaken.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I apologize because I thought you said you were from the Caribbean. But I have already stated that those forms of reparations are already available to you so don’t expect anything more. Just listen to democrats who say they support reparations “studies” in Congress, which means they’ll study the issue and determine its unworkable, but they’ll say they tried. Reparations will not happen.
I am of Caribbean descent, born in the US.

There are no reparations and they would not not available to me. I am not African-American.

How hard is that to grasp?

SMH.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:46 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
As always, the biggest question is “where does the money come from.” USA is broke and teetering on a huge recession (as are other countries). We can’t simply add this to the top of our deficit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies