Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 10:21 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
But Iran has already mastered that step and has already enriched to that level in the past. This is merely turning on a switch.

Of course, I bring this up to only show how the OP was incorrect, both as to the original assertion and to the attempted clarification.

Quite frankly, while I am not particularly keen on Iran having nuclear weapons, this is more so out of my desire to have no nation have them vs. me not trusting Iran. Iran knows what its use of nukes (or the tracing back of the use to Iran) would mean for the country. And, love or hate them, Iran is not a suicidal nation.
I agree that Iran is eventually going to have nukes whether we like that or not.

However, they will likely have them sooner since the US decided to abandon this agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 10:23 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
Quote:
Thanks to the internationally approved deal worked out by the Obama administration

Except it was never officially approved by the US.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:24 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Dropping nuclear bombs on civilian populations, instantly killing hundreds of thousands of innocents, and condemning large numbers of people to a slow and agonizing death for months afterward from the effects of burns, radiation sickness, and other bomb-related injuries, should never, ever be an acceptable tactic of war.

What kind of sadist are you? We were burning them up by the 10's of thousands every night and would have continued until they gave up..better to get it over with...........
Study up on the Firebombing missions we carried out...Operation Meetinghouse etc...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_ra...ombing_attacks
In Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Yokohama, Kobe, and Kawasaki, "over 126,762 people were killed ... and a million and a half dwellings and over 105 square miles (270 km2) of urban space were destroyed."[143] In Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya, "the areas leveled (almost 100 square miles (260 km2)) exceeded the areas destroyed in all German cities by both the American and British air forces (approximately 79 square miles (200 km2))."[143]

Old 11-10-2019, 10:39 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Please. Israel already caught Iran violating the terms of the agreement BEFORE President Trump withdrew the U.S. from the accord: https://news.un.org/en/story/2018/09/1021192

Only the left was fooled that Iran was abiding by the terms of the nuclear agreement.

Moreover, Iran is enriching to 20%, which is NOT weapons grade, so you'd be wrong there, too. Weapons grade uranium is enriched at 90%: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-ne...al-2019-09-07/
The Israeli claim was just that, a claim, not proof. I certainly wouldn't take his word for it.
Did anyone ever prove the claim? I don't think so.

Weapons grade or not, Iran is NOW moving towards it - which they WEREN'T before.

Ken

Old 11-10-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
But Iran has already mastered that step and has already enriched to that level in the past. This is merely turning on a switch...
And NOW they are going to do that
THANKS TRUMP!

Ken

Old 11-10-2019, 10:46 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The Israeli claim was just that, a claim, not proof. I certainly wouldn't take his word for it.
Did anyone ever prove the claim? I don't think so.

Weapons grade or not, Iran is NOW moving towards it - which they WEREN'T before.

Ken
I trust Israel more than the Mullahs of Iran. So Iran was already violating the agreement. All the agreement did was pad the country's wallet, legitimizing the regime in the process, and give them more MONEY to buy/obtain material to engage in sustained enrichment activities.

Note, I'm against sanctions generally, and that includes in the case of Iran. But if we are to have sanctions, I think it should be limited to the country imposing them, not to anyone doing business with other businesses in the imposing country.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I trust Israel more than the Mullahs of Iran. So Iran was already violating the agreement. All the agreement did was pad the country's wallet, legitimizing the regime in the process, and give them more MONEY to buy/obtain material to engage in sustained enrichment activities.

Note, I'm against sanctions generally, and that includes in the case of Iran. But if we are to have sanctions, I think it should be limited to the country imposing them, not to anyone doing business with other businesses in the imposing country.
I trust Israel, it's Netanyahu I don't trust. He's too much like Trump.

Ken

Old 11-10-2019, 11:16 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
I trust Israel, it's Netanyahu I don't trust. He's too much like Trump.

Ken
Netanyahu didn't pull that information out of his arse. That was the result of hard work by Israeli intelligence officials and agents.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:20 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
What an idiot Trump is proving himself to be. Thanks to the internationally approved deal worked out by the Obama administration, Iran had stopped it's nuclear enrichment process. Now that Trump violated that agreement - apparently just to undo anything Obama was involved with - Iran is now once again moving forward down the road to nuclear weapons (along with actively threatening the critical oil route through the Persian Gulf).
Intelligent people understand that Enrichment ≠ Nuclear Weapons.

Enrichment is just enrichment, unless you're enriching it to 90%.

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Do you even understand why the US and Russia prefer Pu-239 over U-235?

Do you understand the difference between fissionable and fissile?

U-238 is fissionable, but not fissile, because the fission of a U-238 nucleus does not release a sufficient number of neutrons to sustain a cascading chain reaction.

Pu-239 is preferred over U-235 because it releases more neutrons.

Every neutron does not coerce fission. It's all based on Probability & Statistics. There four possible outcomes of a free neutron and I'll list them from most-likely to least-likely:

1) the neutron flies around never striking a nucleus
2) the neutron has an inelastic collision with a nucleus causing the neutron to ricochet in a new direction
3) the neutron has an elastic collision with a nucleus causing it to be absorbed: U-235 becomes U-236 and Pu-239 becomes Pu-240
4) the neutron hits the "sweet spot" in an elastic collision and causes fission.

Do you understand the implication of that?

I show you a real-world example.

The US had a nuclear weapon with 10 pounds of Pu-239 with a max yield of 1.0 kt. It weighed 52 pounds.

The US had another nuclear weapon with 30 pounds of U-235 with a max yield of 0.1 kt weighing about 75 pounds.

Get it?

You should be able to deduce a few things from that. One, you need a helluva lot more U-235 to get the same results as Pu-239 and there's a limit to the amount you can use. That's called the limiting factor. The biggest Pu-239 warhead you can build in theory is 200 kt. To get more than that, you have to go fission-fusion. For U-235 it's 60 kt.

Iran doesn't have the ability to separate Pu-239 and its reactors aren't conducive to producing Pu-239 because they're not the same of reactors that North Korea has.

The biggest warhead Iran could make would be 60 kt. They have no aircraft to carry a beast like that, and to mount it on a missile, you'd need something equivalent to a Saturn V, which Iran does not have.

Iran could do what Pakistan does, and build 0.1 kt warheads for its field artillery guns, and 1-2 kt warheads for short-range missiles and 2 kt to 10 kt gravity bombs for delivery by aircraft and intermediate range missiles.

On the other hand, India has Pu-239 and their warheads are smaller in size, weigh less and have significantly higher yields than Pakistan's. Their short and intermediate range missiles and their aircraft can deliver 100 kt warheads.

Anyway, if you thought Iran would be raining 1 megaton warheads down on everyone, you're just fantasizing.

So what if Iran has 0.1 to 1 kt warheads? That would stop a US invasion, but they won't be bombing other countries.

That's really the whole point. The US wants to invade Iran, but it fears Iran's arsenal of surface-to-surface anti-ship missiles and adding small yield nuclear weapons to the mix doesn't advance the US cause.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

We went from Iran having no enrichment WITH inspections of their nuclear facilities to verify compliance

Only declared facilities already known to the inspectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies