Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2019, 04:17 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post

Are they killing each other? No. Nice try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 07:34 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Fights and fried chicken, like mom and apple pie I guess.
From the looks of these customers their physique would benefit from a bit less fried chicken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Are they killing each other? No. Nice try.
People are just dying to taste the fried chicken.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:08 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Hercules View Post
Have you read the posts on this thread. Go and read some of their other posts throughout this board. I didn’t see everyone hear was acting in a racist manner, but when you have people mentioning the people who shoot each other over shoes and mentioning fried chicken and watermelon. You don’t think that is racist or using dog whistles?
Like I said, racism exits from any and all melanin levels, even within similar melanin types. Always has, always will.

Deal with it.

If it's too much for you, stick to more benign web sites or those that are so rule bound they're pretty much just echo chambers.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:20 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Hercules View Post
Have you read the posts on this thread. Go and read some of their other posts throughout this board. I didn’t see everyone hear was acting in a racist manner, but when you have people mentioning the people who shoot each other over shoes and mentioning fried chicken and watermelon. You don’t think that is racist or using dog whistles?
Talking about fried chicken and watermelon without valid context is indeed crass dog whistles. I do not condone it.

But there is a segment of the American populace that do indeed rob and shoot each other for the latest fad sports shoes. Race is not related to it, but culture certianly is.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:28 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
When I worked at Harvard in the food service department, the staff was extremely heavy on people of colour. Our employee meals were whatever was leftover from feeding the students. One black cook always set aside some of the fried chicken for her son who also worked there. And if he said it once, he said it at least 50 times within my hearing that "no one gets between a negritto and his fried chicken"... so straight from the horse's mouth.

Chinese people love pork over other meats and duck is for special occasions. The Greeks love to eat lamb. Every culture has their favorite foods. In this day of liberals trying to be so politically correct, suddenly we have to pretend that there is no such thing as (black) Soul Food???? And wouldn't it be cultural appropriation for any other race to claim Soul Food as part of their heritage and culture? Even whites from the South aka the Bible Belt don't claim Soul Food.

And fried chicken is a very important aspect of African American culture's soul food.

And in googling "soul food", here is just ONE link about it:

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/9...out-soul-food/

Quote:
Although the term "soul food" has become shorthand for all African American cooking, it's really only one aspect of it. Soul food is the cuisine of the landlocked areas of the Deep South that millions of African Americans left behind when they moved North, Midwest, and West during "The Great Migration" (1910s to the 1970s).
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/05/d...andwiches.html

Quote:
In a Facebook post in August, Nadiyah Ali, a nurse from Katy, Texas, compared the sandwich to a rival’s: Chick-fil-A’s version, she wrote, tasted as if it were made “by a white woman named Sarah who grew up around black people.” The Popeyes sandwich, she added, tasted “like it was cooked by an older black lady named Lucille.”

Black people were saying they liked the chicken not just for its taste, but also for the feelings of home cooking it evoked. It was the type of chicken they could take to a family potluck and not get a side-eye.

“You most definitely can take a bucket of Popeyes chicken, and nobody’s going to say anything,” said Los, 27, who declined to give his last name as he left a Popeyes in Kansas City, Mo. “They’ll be like, ‘Ah, who cooked this?’ ”
And.... about watermelon, an interesting article from The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...-trope/383529/
How Watermelons Became a Racist Trope - Before its subversion in the Jim Crow era, the fruit symbolized black self-sufficiency.

Quote:
The trope came into full force when slaves won their emancipation during the Civil War. Free black people grew, ate, and sold watermelons, and in doing so made the fruit a symbol of their freedom.
Quote:
Slave owners often let their slaves grow and sell their own watermelons, or even let them take a day off during the summer to eat the first watermelon harvest. The slave Israel Campbell would slip a watermelon into the bottom of his cotton basket when he fell short of his daily quota, and then retrieve the melon at the end of the day and eat it. Campbell taught the trick to another slave who was often whipped for not reaching his quota, and soon the trick was widespread. When the year’s cotton fell a few bales short of what the master had figured, it simply remained “a mystery.”

Old 11-10-2019, 06:07 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I LOVE this guy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPT4IFJxOVo

Old 11-10-2019, 06:08 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
It is a fad, nothing more. Akin to the 'pet rock' fad, etc.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:24 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It is a fad, nothing more. Akin to the 'pet rock' fad, etc.
People weren’t killing each other over pet rocks.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:30 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Fried chicken brings out the Gangsta in some of us.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I have no idea.

But thought people were fighting over cutting in line or something. Don’t think that’s really about a sandwich. Anytime people wait in line for a long time and someone cuts, that’s a recipe for a fight.
It’s definitely the something else, but that something else is just as stupid of a reason for killing someone. The other day I read an article from my local NBC affiliate, where a guy was leaving his gym after a workout off of N. Bellfort and Hwy. 59 (not a nice area), and this guy cut him off in traffic so he flashed his lights at him and moved on. The two guys in the other car didn’t like that so they shot multiple rounds in this guy’s car. Thankfully he’s alright. But I go to the comments on the story and there were actually a couple of guys defending this action and putting half the blame on the guy who flashed his lights at them. How do you reason with stupid people like that that think they’re owed “respect” without earning it, and will kill you for any slight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies