Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it good or bad that the wealthiest 1% will have more wealth than the combined total of the entire
Good 11 6.15%
Bad 92 51.40%
doesn't matter/ makes no difference 76 42.46%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 10:30 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Interesting, economic concentration being bad is officially in the lead.

If you love freedom, you should hate concentrated economic power.
By freedom, you mean slavery.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:41 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,220,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Do I have an issue with Democracy? No. But it is in fact true that those who pay little to nothing in taxes get the biggest bang for their buck as we all use the exact same infrastructure/systems to buy what we need to live: food, clothing, shelter, etc.
Ok, do you agree that democracy is coercion by the majority, dare I say maybe in you words "slavery" by the majority. We agree as a society what should be part of the public good. We agree what should be funded. The majority agrees that a progressive tax in society is good for the overall health of a given society. If Walmart makes billions off of trucking and logistics using the interstate highway system, you wouldn't say they gain more value from said infrastructure?

To answer your question, it is unfortunate that we have a large segment of society that doesn't pay income taxes, however, EITC is popular among some conservatives because it incentivizes labor force participation. However, it is also unfortunate that the lower 45 percent pays a larger proportion of their income to regressive taxes on essentials. Now would you say that it is unfortunate that companies like Walmart don't pay a livable wage and encourage their employees to go on the government dole to supplement their living situation.

Now can you answer my question that I asked earlier. Are you a supporter of free market capitalism?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/...-conservative/

Old 11-13-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
By freedom, you mean slavery.
Why should I pay taxes to a government that says corporations are people? Why should I pay taxes to a government that takes corporate tax money? Why should I pay taxes to a government to fund a military budget and wars that I don't agree with? This is slavery I tell you, why should my hard work and labor go to fund this nonsense?

We can keep arguing syllogisms until we are blue in the face.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:26 AM

8,155 posts, read 3,684,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Ok, do you agree that democracy is coercion by the majority, dare I say maybe in you words "slavery" by the majority. We agree as a society what should be part of the public good. We agree what should be funded. The majority agrees that a progressive tax in society is good for the overall health of a given society. If Walmart makes billions off of trucking and logistics using the interstate highway system, you wouldn't say they gain more value from said infrastructure?

To answer your question, it is unfortunate that we have a large segment of society that doesn't pay income taxes, however, EITC is popular among some conservatives because it incentivizes labor force participation. However, it is also unfortunate that the lower 45 percent pays a larger proportion of their income to regressive taxes on essentials. Now would you say that it is unfortunate that companies like Walmart don't pay a livable wage and encourage their employees to go on the government dole to supplement their living situation.

Now can you answer my question that I asked earlier. Are you a supporter of free market capitalism?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/...-conservative/
Yep, corporate welfare, plain and simple. The tax payer is expected to foot the bill.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:42 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Land is in short supply and may be very desirable. The reason why the land is desirable is not necessarily relevant, but the fact that it is highly desirable is.

Land is incredibly expensive in the Mount Adams neighborhood where I live. Why? Because you can sit on your balcony in the morning drinking a cup of java and have a breath-taking spectacular view of the Ohio River, the Ohio River Valley and the Cincinnati Skyline.

People are willing to pay a lot of money for exactly that purpose. Not every property in Mount Adams has a spectacular view of the Ohio River, but it is an historic district; it has no crime; the values, morals and ethics of the people who live there would never tolerate crime and will always cooperate with police in criminal matters; there's convenient access to services and retail; convenient access to downtown; and convenient access to I-71, I-74, I-75 and I-275, plus convenient access to Kentucky.

Other areas may be desirable for other reasons. Some measure of privacy until you exit the subdivision; low crime rate; the morals, values and ethics of the people in the subdivision do not tolerate crime and will always cooperate with police on criminal matters; good to excellent schools; good to excellent access to services and retail; and good access to interstates or major thoroughfares. Additionally, there is the greatest likelihood that property values will increase over time, so that one can recover the cost of the home and perhaps a profit when they sell.

Property that is not desirable is unkempt; high crime; the people have no morals, values or ethics and tolerate crime when they're not actually engaging in crime and refuse to cooperate with the police; glorify drug use; glorify prostitution; glorify violence; have poor schools; limited or no access to services and retail (usually because of crime); and no potential for increasing value.

As a landlord, why should I accept $500/month when I have 50 people ready and willing to pay $700/month? Why should I accept $1,500/month when I have 50 people ready and willing to pay $2,200/month?

As a homeowner, why should I accept $100,000 when I have 10 people ready and willing to pay $200,00? Why should I accept $750,000 when I have 10 people ready and willing to pay $1 Million?

You can't tell me that if you put your home for sale for $250,000 that if 5 people offered you $400,000 you'd say "no" because you're either a fool or a liar.

I get all that but I'm not asking to live by the beach or something like that. I mean I know it's a highly desirable city but there has to be some areas that are less desirable. You'd think I'd be able to find one piece of land that seems to be affordable in my intended city.
As I said the piece of land is nothing without the house. So if you have to pay a good amount for a decent sized mobile home then how are people okay with spending that much on just the land alone?
I mean I know how: they have marketable talents and are able to drop that much money because employers are lining up to hire them but at the same time I can't picture it myself because I wouldn't know what that's like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The global markets impede freedom by rising the costs of public goods (housing, medical care , etc.) beyond average wages so that people must partake in the loan/credit market which then expands their costs requiring them to work for a steady revenue.
Exactly and that's if they even qualify. Housing is ridiculous where I'm trying to move and while there are many opportunities where you can earn enough to live there the ones that don't require a significant amount of experience you'd be lucky to afford a studio apartment.

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-13-2019 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-13-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Why should I pay taxes to a government that says corporations are people? Why should I pay taxes to a government that takes corporate tax money? Why should I pay taxes to a government to fund a military budget and wars that I don't agree with? This is slavery I tell you, why should my hard work and labor go to fund this nonsense?

When you put a gun on people’s head and demand them to foot your bill, you are advocating slavery.

All of us should be paying the same amount of taxes. That equal and fair.

How is it not slavery when half of the country pays zero taxes and enjoy all the benefits?

Old 11-13-2019, 11:51 AM

1,675 posts, read 577,849 times
I didn't read all of the posts, it is probably the same non sense repeated over and over in this forum. But I have a different idea. How about keeping the money rich people make away from the government, BUT give it to other entrepreneurs who can do something good with it? Once the people who accumulate wealth for the sole reason than putting in an offshore account and other tax havens then they lose their right to have it. The money will be given to people who can put it back to the economy where the money ORIGINALLY CAME FROM, AND SHOULD GO BACK TO.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Corporation is not people. Only the dumb people and liars believe that.

It’s called personhood. It means corporations like individuals enjoy certain constitutional rights.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
When you put a gun on people’s head and demand them to foot your bill, you are advocating slavery.

All of us should be paying the same amount of taxes. That equal and fair.

How is it not slavery when half of the country pays zero taxes and enjoy all the benefits?
I just told you that they pay sales taxes and other taxes. I also mentioned that some conservatives support EITC, because it is a form of corporate welfare. Please also go back to my post about monopsony and how it relates to the minimum wage. In your fantasy world how would anything get funded?

You don't have to live in society. Have you thought about moving to the hinterlands in Siberia. You could probably get away with not paying taxes there. You still have not argued the point that walmart is gaining more value of taxpayer subsidized interstates than your average joe. Again do you support free market capitalism? Will you answer this question for me.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Corporation is not people. Only the dumb people and liars believe that.

It’s called personhood. It means corporations like individuals enjoy certain constitutional rights.
So you want to get me on a technicality of personhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies