Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it good or bad that the wealthiest 1% will have more wealth than the combined total of the entire
Good 11 6.15%
Bad 92 51.40%
doesn't matter/ makes no difference 76 42.46%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 01:31 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,220,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I never agreed to it, not once in my life. Where is the agreement that I signed, free from coercion or duress? Show it to me.

Or do you consider my acquiescence before an armed assailant the same as agreement?

democracy is simply tyranny of the majority and mob rule. Hell yes I have an issue with democracy. if 50.1% of the country decides tomorrow that I am a criminal and need to be locked in a cage for that which is legal today, then WHAM!, I am now a criminal and need to be locked in a cage. Yes...I have a problem with any form of involuntary governance where that is true.

Yes, the stateless society of voluntary association, property rights and non-aggression, also known as te absence of involuntary government.

Every monopoly in existence owes its existence and survival to the state. Monopolies cannot exist naturally and require external force and initiations of force to survive. What you consider a flaw of capitalism is actually a feature of statism.
You do realize that the concept of private property doesn't exist without a state, right?

Government (or state) is coercion

The state upholds my private property rights

I see the state upholding my property rights as a positive

Therefore coercion is acceptable, as long as it is in my favor

Now where do you draw the line on this coercion?

Old 11-13-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If I didn't vote for the representatives who represent us, I'm not being represented. Others' interests are being represented, but not mine.
Well I'm sorry. Would you like to amend the constitution to put in a provision so that you have your own representative in congress?

What other system other than a representative democracy, mixed in with a republic that recognizes the bill of rights, would you like?

Old 11-13-2019, 01:35 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,768 times
Until people realize that we are in a class warfare, they will continue to believe lies and vote against their own best interest.

The right wing actually does know that climate change is causing migration, but they only want to save themselves from its affects. We are now in climate change warfare because the ruling class did not want to do the right thing. If we relied on solar and wind, no one could have a corner on it. We need to get smart and teach our children critical thinking. The right wing spent the last 40 years destroying education because they wanted to take power away from the people.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:41 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Well I'm sorry. Would you like to amend the constitution to put in a provision so that you have your own representative in congress?

What other system other than a representative democracy, mixed in with a republic that recognizes the bill of rights, would you like?
A government that abides by the limitations set forth in Article 1 Section 8 of the US Constitution, which the Federal Government is supposed to do.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:42 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Elizabeth Warren is the richest of all the Dem candidates, so I heard.

Do as Dems say, not as they do

Old 11-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A government that abides by the limitations set forth in Article 1 Section 8 of the US Constitution, which the Federal Government is supposed to do.
Can you prove that they aren't following this article and section? Serious question.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:51 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
I had a friend who was obsessed with money. She had a distant rich relative whom she had met once. The woman had no kids. My friend was always whining, "She's old. What does she need all that money for? Why doesn't she give it to me? I'm poor."

Fast forward, my friend met and married the CEO of a mid sized company. They live in a big house and own rental properties and a vacation lake house. I tried to get her interested in a charity I was involved with at the time. She said, "Why should I give those people our money? We pay high taxes already."

Old 11-13-2019, 01:54 PM

13,620 posts, read 4,940,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Why would it matter? If I, as an upper-middle class person enjoy the accoutrements of an upper-middle class lifestyle - a beautiful home, plenty of nice clothes, those great Estee Lauder skin creams, world travel, theater tickets, fine dining, etc., etc. - why would I care that the 1% have more? "Comparison is the thief of joy." Did I mention the Estee Lauder skin creams?
Exactly so, which is why this particular statistic is not a good example: the top 1% richer than the entire upper middle class. Who cares? Not like upper middle class is suffering.

The more telling statistic is this: The top 1% control more wealth than the bottom 90%. That's a problem if you have millions of people struggling to get by while a few have more than they could possibly consume in 100 lifetimes.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:59 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
democracy is simply tyranny of the majority and mob rule. Hell yes I have an issue with democracy. if 50.1% of the country decides tomorrow that I am a criminal and need to be locked in a cage for that which is legal today, then WHAM!, I am now a criminal and need to be locked in a cage. Yes...I have a problem with any form of involuntary governance where that is true.

Find a better example. When accused of a crime the jury convicting you must be 100% of the jurors not 51%.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Find a better example. When accused of a crime the jury convicting you must be 100% of the jurors not 51%.
I wasn't talking about a jury, I was talking about the making of a law. If 50.1% of those with lawmaking power say a thing is now law, then it is. That's how it works. And things that were legal yesterday are illegal today, and too bad for you. Happens all the time. For more, please see "current arguments in favor of gun control" where the proponents seek to make criminals out of people who have broken no laws by making new laws that take today's lawful behavior and make it tomorrow's crime. Only need a bare majority for that, and then the agents of tyranny to enforce the new law at gunpoint.

How people DON'T have a problem with that boggles my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies