Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it good or bad that the wealthiest 1% will have more wealth than the combined total of the entire
Good 11 6.15%
Bad 92 51.40%
doesn't matter/ makes no difference 76 42.46%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 12:00 PM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I would call it living in a society where we have agreed upon basic services that a society provides.
I never agreed to it, not once in my life. Where is the agreement that I signed, free from coercion or duress? Show it to me.

Or do you consider my acquiescence before an armed assailant the same as agreement?
Quote:
It seems like you have an issue with democracy.
democracy is simply tyranny of the majority and mob rule. Hell yes I have an issue with democracy. if 50.1% of the country decides tomorrow that I am a criminal and need to be locked in a cage for that which is legal today, then WHAM!, I am now a criminal and need to be locked in a cage. Yes...I have a problem with any form of involuntary governance where that is true.
Quote:
Is there a different form of government that you believe in?
Yes, the stateless society of voluntary association, property rights and non-aggression, also known as te absence of involuntary government.
Quote:
It also seems like you have no issue of robbing people of opportunity when power and wealth is concentrated in few hands in certain sectors and we get fewer and fewer choices to make in our market place.
Every monopoly in existence owes its existence and survival to the state. Monopolies cannot exist naturally and require external force and initiations of force to survive. What you consider a flaw of capitalism is actually a feature of statism.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:06 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
So you want to get me on a technicality of personhood?
It’s not technicality. It just is.

Corporations aren’t people but they enjoy many rights like the 1st, 2nd and 4th Amendments.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:07 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I never agreed to it, not once in my life. Where is the agreement that I signed, free from coercion or duress? Show it to me.
I don't like democracy at all but this criticism is kind of two faced.

In a pure capitalist society private property would be just like the state.

If I am born under your property, then you have authority over my rights, and unless I leave, I have surrendered them to you involuntarily.

The government is the same way, they own the land and country, and lease it to citizens to be productive and increase revenue.

People have more wealth opportunities in a concentrated state so they stay. In fact the more complicated and developed a society becomes, the more top down control over individual behavior there will be. People need to work productively and consume to maintain wealth.

If America went the way you want natural business monopolies will form to keep the labor pool productive; monopolies aren't just big businesses, but also concentrations of capital through investors/land speculation.

If they keep market prices high (for public goods like housing/electricity/etc.) and average wages are low enough, people will need credit, and credit/loans can only come from a large pool of stable monetary funds. And eventually large holdings of private property laws will uphold that function of the state.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:12 PM

8,158 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
When you put a gun on people’s head and demand them to foot your bill, you are advocating slavery.

All of us should be paying the same amount of taxes. That equal and fair.

How is it not slavery when half of the country pays zero taxes and enjoy all the benefits?
Again this.

Ok, let's see. So the total collection from federal individual income taxes is about 1.82 trillion. Total population, let's say 330 million. So, that's about 5.5k per person, family of 4 - 22k. Wow, considering I was accused of money grab, I think I should just jump on this deal, this is so so much less than what we are paying now, lol.

Another great idea might be to also equalize the payroll taxes, they are taxes after all.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:38 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Ok, do you agree that democracy is coercion by the majority, dare I say maybe in you words "slavery" by the majority. We agree as a society what should be part of the public good.
When was there ever a vote on that?

Old 11-13-2019, 01:02 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Again this.

Ok, let's see. So the total collection from federal individual income taxes is about 1.82 trillion. Total population, let's say 330 million. So, that's about 5.5k per person, family of 4 - 22k. Wow, considering I was accused of money grab, I think I should just jump on this deal, this is so so much less than what we are paying now, lol.

Another great idea might be to also equalize the payroll taxes, they are taxes after all.
In case you don’t know, the income tax we should be paying is zero.

However, a sales tax is more than fair impose.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
I didn't read all of the posts, it is probably the same non sense repeated over and over in this forum. But I have a different idea. How about keeping the money rich people make away from the government, BUT give it to other entrepreneurs who can do something good with it? Once the people who accumulate wealth for the sole reason than putting in an offshore account and other tax havens then they lose their right to have it. The money will be given to people who can put it back to the economy where the money ORIGINALLY CAME FROM, AND SHOULD GO BACK TO.
What makes you think income US citizens earn and/or investments held in foreign banks and financial institutions isn't taxed? Never heard of FATCA?

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/corpo...r-us-taxpayers

Old 11-13-2019, 01:14 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

Or do you consider my acquiescence before an armed assailant the same as agreement?

democracy is simply tyranny of the majority and mob rule. Hell yes I have an issue with democracy. if 50.1% of the country decides tomorrow that I am a criminal and need to be locked in a cage for that which is legal today, then WHAM!, I am now a criminal and need to be locked in a cage. Yes...I have a problem with any form of involuntary governance where that is true.

Yes, the stateless society of voluntary association, property rights and non-aggression, also known as te absence of involuntary government.

Every monopoly in existence owes its existence and survival to the state. Monopolies cannot exist naturally and require external force and initiations of force to survive. What you consider a flaw of capitalism is actually a feature of statism.
Well fortunately we have a set of rights in the constitution that pretty much guarantees that being locked up won't happen to you without a fair trial. Can you show me this society that doesn't have a state? Has this ever existed? Maybe you can argue for the hunter-gatherer era, but it was also pretty collectivist amongst the tribes. So you must be for open borders, free movement of the labor? Why should I have to pay someone a higher wage when I have a set of workers who will work for a lower wage, that is an impingement on my rights to a free market place.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:21 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
When was there ever a vote on that?
It seems like we elect representatives to represent us you know. You're right we don't live in a straight down the board democracy. Good thing for you, you really wouldn't like it. We don't vote on every single measure in society. I don't know I think most people in society agrees that infrastructure, emergency services, national defense, etc. are public goods. You're opinion is in the minority. Apparently in your ideal society, none of this should be funded.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
It seems like we elect representatives to represent us you know.
If I didn't vote for the representatives who represent us, I'm not being represented. Others' interests are being represented, but not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.