Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it good or bad that the wealthiest 1% will have more wealth than the combined total of the entire
Good 11 6.15%
Bad 92 51.40%
doesn't matter/ makes no difference 76 42.46%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 05:08 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Hercules View Post
For starters we can reinstate the Glass-Steagall act. We can also get dark money out of politics, get rid of corporate PACs and pay close attention to corporations who are donating money to certain politicians. Definitely don't have all the answers, I just see something in society that could surmount to some issues going forth.
And who will enact all of those things with both groups benefitting from not doing it? We'd sooner have term limits enacted. I have no faith in any politician. To me the less they do the better.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:54 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,270,677 times
College, as structured in America, is another element of the middle class trap. Too many poor kids shell themselves thousands of dollars in loans studying worthless courses cause mommy and daddy told them to. Then they graduate, only to find that they have no good jobs lined up. So they are stuck having to wage-slave away in crummy jobs, anchored with a debt that increases on interest.

Even with high salary professions, that's even more years of school and debt to pay off. It wasn't too long ago that AOC herself made a student debt payment during the congressional hearing - and she has a $200k+ salary.

Just look at all the big CEOs and billionaires discussed in this thread - quite a few of them even dropped out of high school, topless of college. Because they took the opportunities as they presented themselves, rather than become cogs in the system.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
People who voted bad, "It's not fair they have so much more than me."

Call the waaaambulance.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:57 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That much wealth concentrated in 1% is an unhealthy situation, they are capable of having their way with dark money going to politicians. A healthy middle class is key to any democratic society, this type of tilt in the system is dangerous.
Where did you pull that from?

Old 11-10-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
College, as structured in America, is another element of the middle class trap. Too many poor kids shell themselves thousands of dollars in loans studying worthless courses cause mommy and daddy told them to. Then they graduate, only to find that they have no good jobs lined up. So they are stuck having to wage-slave away in crummy jobs, anchored with a debt that increases on interest.

Even with high salary professions, that's even more years of school and debt to pay off. It wasn't too long ago that AOC herself made a student debt payment during the congressional hearing - and she has a $200k+ salary.

Just look at all the big CEOs and billionaires discussed in this thread - quite a few of them even dropped out of high school, topless of college. Because they took the opportunities as they presented themselves, rather than become cogs in the system.
Easy. Don’t go to college.

I can give you a long list of billionaires who didn’t go to college.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:05 PM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Several thousand years of recorded history would be my guess.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Several thousand years of recorded history would be my guess.
Name one.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:30 PM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Plenty of people have indicated the same, do you remember the robber barrons.
Do you have any idea how many lobbyists there are, more lobbyists than government legislators and staffs. We don’t even low where the money is coming from most of the time. Do you like Soros and Koch running your government, does that look like democracy.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:56 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,270,677 times
Quote:
Easy. Don’t go to college.

I can give you a long list of billionaires who didn’t go to college.
I know, I said exactly that in my last paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Hercules View Post
Hahaha sounds like sound advice. I can give you a very long list of people who didn't who are constrained in their careers and opportunities.
I can do the same for those who went through college, up to Grad school even.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Plenty of people have indicated the same, do you remember the robber barrons.
Do you have any idea how many lobbyists there are, more lobbyists than government legislators and staffs. We don’t even low where the money is coming from most of the time. Do you like Soros and Koch running your government, does that look like democracy.
I don’t remember robber barons. Just because someone people are good at accumulating money, it doesn’t make them robber barons.

Michael Jordan was good at playing basketball. Does that make him a bad person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies