Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it good or bad that the wealthiest 1% will have more wealth than the combined total of the entire
Good 11 6.15%
Bad 92 51.40%
doesn't matter/ makes no difference 76 42.46%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 09:55 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Hercules View Post
This doesn't mention as to why people are short on their savings.
Like I said... *many people are "strapped" and have no savings, etc., because they've chosen to live beyond their means. A frugal lifestyle isn't glamorous and sacrifices have to be made. Too many people are unwilling to live within their means because of an utterly absurd sense of entitlement.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 PM

8,158 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Like I said... *many people are "strapped" and have no savings, etc., because they've chosen to live beyond their means. A frugal lifestyle isn't glamorous and sacrifices have to be made. Too many people are unwilling to live within their means because of an utterly absurd sense of entitlement.
Well, in most cases arrogance and frugal don't go together too well. So I assume you never did the frugal thing. Correct?

Old 11-10-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, in most cases arrogance and frugal don't go together too well. So I assume you never did the frugal thing. Correct?
Your question makes no sense, as I am not among the group that has no savings/investments.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:08 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
College, as structured in America, is another element of the middle class trap. Too many poor kids shell themselves thousands of dollars in loans studying worthless courses cause mommy and daddy told them to. Then they graduate, only to find that they have no good jobs lined up. So they are stuck having to wage-slave away in crummy jobs, anchored with a debt that increases on interest.

Even with high salary professions, that's even more years of school and debt to pay off. It wasn't too long ago that AOC herself made a student debt payment during the congressional hearing - and she has a $200k+ salary.

Just look at all the big CEOs and billionaires discussed in this thread - quite a few of them even dropped out of high school, topless of college. Because they took the opportunities as they presented themselves, rather than become cogs in the system.
If you seriously believe America turning into Latin America in terms of extreme inequality and oligarchy is because people are lazy and dumb, you're seriously deluded.

I'm sure you'd have a different opinion if Obama was still president, so why not just admit that the economic elites actually want to keep the vast majority desperate and powerless because they have the power to bribe the people you vote for and get their will.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
If you seriously believe America turning into Latin America in terms of extreme inequality and oligarchy is because people are lazy and dumb, you're seriously deluded.

I'm sure you'd have a different opinion if Obama was still president, so why not just admit that the economic elites actually want to keep the vast majority desperate and powerless because they have the power to bribe the people you vote for and get their will.
There is a huge difference between an extreme level of poverty and an extreme level of inequity.

There is extreme inequity between a person with $5 million and Jeff Bezosk, but the person with $5 million is still in good shape.

Only under extreme tyrrany will you ever have complete equity.

Why so many liberals would choose everyone in bread lines instead of a system with very low actual poverty is beyond me. This sentiment of, "I'd rather everyone equally poor than someone with more than me" is so selfish.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:16 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Take away paid lobbying and enforce antitrust laws. This would solve a good chunk of inequality in the long term.

They should change the national motto of the US to:

Run by billionaires for billionaires.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Take away paid lobbying and enforce antitrust laws. This would solve a good chunk of inequality in the long term.

How did billionaires (Gates, Bezos, etc.) become billionaires? Many people VOLUNTARILY bought their products and services. That is... people VOLUNTARILY made them very rich. Don't like the fact that they have so much more than you or others? Simply STOP buying what they sell.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:38 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Good for them. Sure, I didn't win the birth lottery or was born with incredible investment savvy , I'll get over it. My life is good. I do hope those that are in the 1% actually enjoy it with their families and friends.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:52 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,028,155 times
lmao.... if you're making $20 an hour why do you care what successful people are making?

Worry about your own lack of success.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:59 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,653,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

And the stooges that lick their boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.