Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 06:23 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Actually, they don't. They have the right to ask but once you've gone through the cash register and exchanged money for the merchandise it's yours. It's not different than stopping you at the parking lot exit and asking to see your receipt and to step out of your vehicle so they can search it. They can ask. I wouldn't let them do that. I generally don't have a problem with them checking my receipt at the door, although if it's inconvenient I do just simply say "No thank you." They have a legal right to detain me under shopkeeper's privilege laws which vary from state to state. They're actually usually reluctant to do that though as there's a lot of liability that goes along with that so they're not going to do so simply because you didn't consent them searching your property. If it's just going to be 30 seconds to scan my receipt and paw through the cart, it's no big deal to me. If I walk up and there's ten people stacked up and I can see the receipt checker is diligently going item by item and it's going to take me five minutes to leave the store, then I just walk out with a polite "No thank you." It's not a big deal, done it many times and never had any problem. They either train their employees or they just don't care enough to do anything.

What about self checkout and running the item over the scanner, yet the item was not scanned, thrown in the bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 06:40 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What about self checkout and running the item over the scanner, yet the item was not scanned, thrown in the bag?
Then they'd better be able to prove that.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:55 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
Quote:
What about it? If they think I've stolen something, they can have me arrested and prove it.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:59 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Actually, they don't. They have the right to ask but once you've gone through the cash register and exchanged money for the merchandise it's yours. It's not different than stopping you at the parking lot exit and asking to see your receipt and to step out of your vehicle so they can search it. They can ask. I wouldn't let them do that. I generally don't have a problem with them checking my receipt at the door, although if it's inconvenient I do just simply say "No thank you." They have a legal right to detain me under shopkeeper's privilege laws which vary from state to state. They're actually usually reluctant to do that though as there's a lot of liability that goes along with that so they're not going to do so simply because you didn't consent them searching your property. If it's just going to be 30 seconds to scan my receipt and paw through the cart, it's no big deal to me. If I walk up and there's ten people stacked up and I can see the receipt checker is diligently going item by item and it's going to take me five minutes to leave the store, then I just walk out with a polite "No thank you." It's not a big deal, done it many times and never had any problem. They either train their employees or they just don't care enough to do anything.
Same here. If there's no line, I'll let them check. Otherwise I walk past.

I don't know if it's the new Walmart check, but today, for the first time, I bought stuff at Walmart and the receipt checker scanned the receipt with a handheld device and scanned the barcode on the larger purchases. Not just a cursory glance/item count.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Exactly. They wouldn't be using staffing resources and risking loss of customer goodwill unless they felt they had a significant issue with shrinkage. .
A lot of stores losses come from their own employees taking things. Around 33% of theft in stores is internal theft (employees).

Old 11-13-2019, 07:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
In my state, they don't have the legal right to check it.
They probably have the right to ask, but the customer is within his rights to refuse. Legally, you don't have to show them your receipt.

A better idea is just not to shop at Wal Mart anymore. Shop online as much as possible. There's no reason to hassle with these stores and their employees. Almost anything you get at Wal Mart can be found on amazon or elsewhere on the net.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:03 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Non-issue.

They either have a reasonable basis to detain you under shopkeeper's privilege or they do not. That basically goes down one or two ways.
1) They think it's intentional and let you check out and then detain you for shoplifting and run the risk of detaining you under shopkeeper's privilege laws.
2) They don't think it's intentional and when they notice they come over and ask to see that the item rung up correctly before you pay.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Then they'd better be able to prove that.

There ya go, check the....the ...what...oh, the receipt and the bag....

At the walmarts around me, they are recording your face while you scan, is that also illegal? I don't want to hear, well you live in a crappy place either.....because I don't...

Old 11-13-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
What about it? If they think I've stolen something, they can have me arrested and prove it.

Are you willing to go through that?

Old 11-13-2019, 07:12 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
There ya go, check the....the ...what...oh, the receipt and the bag....

At the walmarts around me, they are recording your face while you scan, is that also illegal? I don't want to hear, well you live in a crappy place either.....because I don't...
Of course it's legal. You're in Walmart. You have no expectation of privacy in a Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies