Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 07:14 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,614,838 times

Advertisements

I have zero problems with any business making sure their inventory does not walk out the door without being paid for.

Many Walmarts, in shady/high-theft areas, have just about all of the valuable items
locked-up behind plexiglass. Theft is a huge problem, Walmart has a right to try and stop it
in their stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 07:21 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are you willing to go through that?
Yes? Because I haven't stolen anything.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:21 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Most of Walmart is self checkout now.
Which is nice, because they usually have 20 registers and four cashiers.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:53 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I have zero problems with any business making sure their inventory does not walk out the door without being paid for.

Many Walmarts, in shady/high-theft areas, have just about all of the valuable items
locked-up behind plexiglass. Theft is a huge problem, Walmart has a right to try and stop it
in their stores.
But when stopped at the edge of Walmart's property and asked to show your receipt, pop the trunk, and step out of the vehicle so they can make sure their inventory didn't walk out the door without being paid for and find its way into your car the question is would you consent, show your receipt, pop the trunk, and step out of your vehicle?

Old 11-13-2019, 08:08 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
There ya go, check the....the ...what...oh, the receipt and the bag....
You have it backwards. Demanding a receipt is requiring YOU to prove that YOU are innocent.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:13 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
It's their merchandise. They have a right to make sure you paid for it. Once you prove you paid for it, then it's yours. .
This is completely false.

It's your merchandise after you pay for it. It ceases to be "their" merchandise after you've paid for it and you're on your way out the store. There's no legal requirement to "prove" that you paid for it, in order to own it.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:15 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Your so called rights end when you enter someone else's private property which was your choice and you can avoid.
This is another false statement. People DO have certain rights, even when they're on someone else's property. For example, someone can't rape you just because you're in their house. Yes, it's their private property but that doesn't mean you have virtually no legal rights in their home.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:55 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,190,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
But when stopped at the edge of Walmart's property and asked to show your receipt, pop the trunk, and step out of the vehicle so they can make sure their inventory didn't walk out the door without being paid for and find its way into your car the question is would you consent, show your receipt, pop the trunk, and step out of your vehicle?
I have no problem with showing my receipt at the door to leave, as I've previously mentioned, however, this example above, as well as another posters who asked something to the effect of "what if they also ask to look through our purse and/or clothing", raise very valid issues.

Shows how it can be a slippery slope, and I can appreciate the posters who are arguing that.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:26 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Which type of store would you rather shop in? A store that checks your items as you leave to make sure you have paid for all of them, or a store who fires employees for trying to take down a thief attempting to leave the store toting a big screen television?

Which store is looking out for their customers, by trying to keep prices down?

Old 11-14-2019, 05:31 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
My Walmart does not check receipts. I believe a buzzer goes off it the item is not scanned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies