Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 09:20 AM

3,843 posts, read 1,789,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post

Also don't forget this bag check isn't all about you. Door bag checkers are looking to see that the cashier correctly charged for all items in the shopping bag or cart.
I don't think that's really it, their making sure nobody stole, but you cannot treat every customer as a potential thief.

If they have dozens of cameras set up through out the store and someone is paid to be sitting and watching cameras, can't they see who is stealing and approach the thieves specifically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 09:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's been that way for twenty years. Don't like it, don't shop there.
Wrong.

When you join Sam's or Costco, you are signing up for receipt checks at the door. That's part of the membership contract.

When you shop at Wal-Mart, you've made no such agreement...particularly when your local Wal-Mart does not usually check receipts. None of the Wal-Marts I've shopped at on a regular basis over the last decade habitually check receipts and I have seldom been asked to show mine. On the rare occasion that I'm asked, I refuse and keep walking. Nobody has ever chased me into the parking lot.

I will not show my receipt at the door at any store other than Sam's or Costco.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:29 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are you willing to go through that?
apparently so. I can only assume these are cash-only people so they don't leave any data trail.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:29 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Even at Sams or Costco, all they could do is cancel your membership if they even bothered.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:35 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It different if your stuff isnt bagged and you know your receipt will be checked.
Its not that I mind letting them see it, but once I have paid I usually cram my receipt in a pocket of my wallet that is crammed back into my purse. So I have to dig my wallet out of my purse and find the receipt usually among older receipts still in there mingled with bills and change and various other pieces of paper. Or did I shove it in my pocket or one of the bags?

Walmart in my area havent started doing this yet.
but if they do, then you will know not to shove the receipt away until AFTER you've passed the receipt-checker - yes?

for someone who said it earlier, what better way to shoplift than to have some screaming kids with you, tuck something (even your fully paid receipt) in the diaper bag, and hope the receipt-checker doesn't want to bother with you?

like I said "first they came for my receipt..."

Old 11-14-2019, 09:44 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
And where do you shop at?????
Places that treat their employees decently. As a bonus, they attract a slightly higher grade of employee and it makes for a more pleasant experience overall.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:48 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I always have my receipt ready at Walmart and Costco.

I have nothing to hide and it only takes a few seconds. There will always be SJWs with chips on their shoulders looking to be offended.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/treated-c...090000205.html

I agree, at Costco they always check every receipt and I understand why. I work retail, and we suffer HUGE losses through theft, and our customers are upper scale white people, for the most part. When you lose something like $47,000 in one department in only 6 months, that tells you how honest people are (not).

People think nothing of stealing and cheating these days. Every day I find some empty packaging, thrown under some shelf, where someone has stolen the item and discarded the box. We have done this to ourselves, making stores check us on the way out, and now we are complaining.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:49 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I always have my receipt ready at Walmart and Costco.

I have nothing to hide and it only takes a few seconds. There will always be SJWs with chips on their shoulders looking to be offended.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/treated-c...090000205.html
My local Walmart also has a lot of cameras watching the aisles, with signs informing me of their presence. So what?

Clearly, Walmart has a problem with shoplifters. And if they are able to keep the thievery to a minimum, then kudos to them! I want them to be able to keep their prices low. Shoplifting is a real problem, and in the end it translates to higher prices for the honest shoppers or the store going out of business.

So no, I don't have any problems with them checking what's in my Walmart bag against my receipt,

Old 11-14-2019, 10:05 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Wrong.

When you join Sam's or Costco, you are signing up for receipt checks at the door. That's part of the membership contract.

When you shop at Wal-Mart, you've made no such agreement...particularly when your local Wal-Mart does not usually check receipts. None of the Wal-Marts I've shopped at on a regular basis over the last decade habitually check receipts and I have seldom been asked to show mine. On the rare occasion that I'm asked, I refuse and keep walking. Nobody has ever chased me into the parking lot.

I will not show my receipt at the door at any store other than Sam's or Costco.
On the other hand you voluntarily enter a place of business. The way I see it is that it's a mutually beneficial arrangement to both parties and the moment you step onto the property you should be agreeable to abiding by their policies. I know that as of now the law doesn't see it that way, but one can always hope that changes. Considering how much of a problem this is becoming something somewhere will have to change. Consumers are shooting themselves in the foot with allowing this behavior to continue in the name of personal rights, but it's going to come at the cost of the greater good.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:27 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Who is "they"? One thing for certain, the employees either need to check ALL bags or none. None of this pick and choose according to their judgment of a shopper.
The employees don't want to tell you that the bag check is totally voluntary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies