Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2019, 04:22 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'm not sure what political leanings have to do with any of this.

Wal Mart culture is pretty gross, IMO, if you take a look at the "people of Wal mart" photos of those who shop there. Wearing their camo and riding their tractors into the store, buying beer and junk food. I'm proud to not be a part of that red neck culture.
Wonderful basis for an opinion...from random photos . Do you think, just maybe the ones taking those pictures only take them of the worst, never including all the other customers, most of who look quite the 'same' as you and I'm sure, in many cases, much better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 05:09 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yesterday, after work, I stopped at Costco, picked up some salmon for dinner, and got in a line of people who were having their receipts checked at the exit. No one was upset, no one rebelled, no one complained. In a couple of minutes we were out the door and on our way home.

Funny how some people understand why Costco does it and go along with the program, and others have to make a stink and cause trouble. Meanwhile , there are people dying all over the world, and some people are upset about having their receipt checked !

Already addressed in this thread, which you would know if you had read the thread. Multiple posters have mentioned that agreeing to that at both Costco and Sam's Club is part of the membership agreement.

This thread is about the actions of employees at Walmart.

Walmart isn't a membership store (Sam's club fulfills that role within that corporation).

Old 11-16-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Wonderful basis for an opinion...from random photos . Do you think, just maybe the ones taking those pictures only take them of the worst, never including all the other customers, most of who look quite the 'same' as you and I'm sure, in many cases, much better?

There are four Walmarts in (and around the perimeter of) my community. The median HHI in my community in 2017 was 117K, and the largest income group is 200K+. About two thirds of residents over 25 have a bachelors degree or better. The most expensive house on the market right now is listed at over $7.4 million, and I saw one within the last year or two listed at $20 million. I rarely see a beater parked in the lots of any of those Walmarts, and I've seen a number of 150K+ cars. I've also seen men wearing expensive golf attire, looking as though they just came off the course, doing their shopping at those Walmarts. It ended up closing, but one of those Walmarts had inside the first Chobani that opened outside of Manhattan.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:55 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yesterday, after work, I stopped at Costco, picked up some salmon for dinner, and got in a line of people who were having their receipts checked at the exit. No one was upset, no one rebelled, no one complained. In a couple of minutes we were out the door and on our way home.

Funny how some people understand why Costco does it and go along with the program, and others have to make a stink and cause trouble. Meanwhile , there are people dying all over the world, and some people are upset about having their receipt checked !
I never thought anything about the Costco check.
I am always cool about that.

But they check EVERYBODY.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:12 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
LOL, I saw that our local Wal Mart now has condoms and home pregnancy tests behind locked glass doors like they do baby formula and knives and flashlights. The things people steal.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:04 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Walmart has closed several local stores from midnight to 6 am because the overhead was more than profit from sales. They have a store every 20 miles on the interstate in this rural area. The ones they closed were in towns of less than 5,000 population. Some have never met sales expectations. Yes I am friends with a store manager, that is where I get my information.

The voluntary bag check is a national directive from the headquarters in Bentonville. But the local store manager decides what hours they have it.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:05 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Wonderful basis for an opinion...from random photos .
Um....not just from those photos but from the people I see shopping in Wal Mart.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:46 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Um....not just from those photos but from the people I see shopping in Wal Mart.
If you don't shop there, how do you see them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol No the next step isn't to shut down because of theft since that doesn't happen. Receipts checked or be without a store aren't the only 2 possibilities. That you would think that is a silly, narrow minded view of the world.

It's about defending the rights of the individual.
There's always locking things up, but that get's expensive and it's proven to decrease sales of those items, plus people find that offensive too. Wondering just what other possibilities you're thinking of?

I'm also wondering about people who are so adamant about protecting their right to not show their receipt, does that extend to Costco, do you refuse to join because of the requirement to show a receipt? If not why not, does putting it in writing make that much difference to you and if Walmart and other stores posted their policy at the front doors would that make it ok? Maybe all retailers need to turn into membership stores in order to protect themselves?

Old 11-16-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If you don't shop there, how do you see them?
There's a website called People of Wamart.

Quote:
There's always locking things up, but that get's expensive and it's proven to decrease sales of those items, plus people find that offensive too. Wondering just what other possibilities you're thinking of?

I'm also wondering about people who are so adamant about protecting their right to not show their receipt, does that extend to Costco, do you refuse to join because of the requirement to show a receipt?
No. I have other reasons for not joining.

Quote:
If not why not, does putting it in writing make that much difference to you and if Walmart and other stores posted their policy at the front doors would that make it ok?
No. As has been pointed out more than once on this thread, in many states, that 'policy' isn't allowed to be a legal requirement.

Quote:
Maybe all retailers need to turn into membership stores in order to protect themselves?
Retailers are free to do what they choose, and if they decide to do that I am also free to move completely online with my purchases.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:54 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
I'm white, and I have my always had my receipt checked at Walmart and Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies