Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2019, 07:52 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Walmart tells the employees during training that the bagcheck is voluntary. But many customers don't know.
I see. I wonder if the interaction begins with asking for permission to check the receipt? I know that answering "no" can be difficult for some to say when others are saying yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 09:27 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I see. I wonder if the interaction begins with asking for permission to check the receipt? I know that answering "no" can be difficult for some to say when others are saying yes.
After waiting 10-15 minutes to check out, waiting in a line of 10 or more for a bag check irritates a lot of customers. I have sat on a bench up front waiting for friends that I have taken to Walmart. I can watch the bagcheck, I am maybe 10 feet from it. I have NEVER seen them catch a thief.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:51 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sigh, yes I know that. I'm fairly certain if walmart was charging people just to come through their doors they would find the payroll to check every single receipt too.
WHY does signing a little piece of paper make it suddenly n.
Do you know what a contract is? Do you understand the legalities associated with signing an agreement, versus not signing one?

You have no contractual obligation with Wal Mart or other stores. You do have a contractual obligation when you join a warehouse club like Sam's or Costco. You sign an agreement to abide by certain rules in exchange for your membership, so you are legally obligated to show them your receipt because you signed and agreed to that.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
WHY does signing a little piece of paper make it suddenly not a violation of your rights, not in a legal sense but in the sense of what someone feels is offensive or not.
Wow. Just wow. I'm sure a lot of people say this to their banks when their mortgage is due. "WHY does signing a little piece of paper...".

Old 11-17-2019, 01:32 PM

16,078 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Do you know what a contract is? Do you understand the legalities associated with signing an agreement, versus not signing one?

You have no contractual obligation with Wal Mart or other stores. You do have a contractual obligation when you join a warehouse club like Sam's or Costco. You sign an agreement to abide by certain rules in exchange for your membership, so you are legally obligated to show them your receipt because you signed and agreed to that.
Do you bother to read the post you respond to?
I'm not asking about the freakin contractual agreement. I'm asking why people feel like criminals for the exact same loss prevention behavior at one business but not another.
Do you REALLY think that just because you signed a contract that the reason behind the receipt checks is different?
Why are you ok with that suspicion of theft at one business but not the other? Do the people who get all offended when walmart wants to check their receipt happily go along with it when they shop at costco, or do they realize that receipt checking is receipt checking and all done for the exact same reason, whether a contract was signed or not? Do they NOT shop at costco because the receipts are also checked there?
It's not a difficult question but nobody seems to be answering it with anything but 'gosh contract, duh'

Old 11-17-2019, 03:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Do you REALLY think that just because you signed a contract that the reason behind the receipt checks is different?
Why are you ok with that suspicion of theft at one business but not the other?'
Yes, actually there is a difference. If you signed a contract, one of the reasons for the receipt check is that your contract states you must comply with the receipt check in order to keep shopping there. If you don't, they can terminate your membership. If that's okay with you, well, then you can refuse to show your receipt at Costco. Just be aware of possible consequences, such as having your membership revoked. I'm totally aware both stores want to deter and prevent theft.

Although Wal Mart can legally ask for the customer to show their receipt, the customer isn't legally required to show it. So probably the reason a person wouldn't show a receipt at Wal Mart but show it at Costco, is because they know nothing will happen to them if they refuse to show their receipt at Wal mart. But if they refuse to show it at Costco, they can lose their membership.

http://www.themillennialman.com/2017...lmart-greeter/

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 11-17-2019 at 04:28 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 04:17 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
I can't get excited about people looking at my receipt or my bags when I leave a business. I know I didn't steal anything but I am also aware that scummy people do and those scummy people make my crap cost more.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:18 PM

7,139 posts, read 4,552,321 times
I don’t shop at the places you need to join and that check your receipt. At Walmart I just walk a wide berth around them and pretend I cannot hear them. The one time that there was no way to avoid I said no. They told me I better get used to it and I told them I will shop somewhere else. I stood my ground. It’s ridiculous!

Old 11-17-2019, 04:19 PM

1,066 posts, read 630,319 times
god her face is so ugly and her personality is equally ugly and whiny.

her comment "its like everyone is a potential thief".

well yes. because ANYONE can become a thief. old bat.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It’s disheartening to witness Americans becoming such world-class bots. There is nothing, I mean NOTHING, that we can’t bow down and submit too.

It’s embarrassing to watch adults behave this way. This is what good nutrition, warm homes, and good health have led us up to. Endless submission to our rights being violated.

Sigh. I miss the existence of true men.
So a TRUE man would conduct himself with the dignity of a boozed-up teenager, make an unnecessary scene in public, and come across like a complete bellend, and make a big deal over nothing, while browbeating a barely over min wage employee to make himself feel like a TRUE man, patriot, and Freedom Fighter?

You go, Patrick Henry/Braveheart!!!!

I mean c,mon man- there's a time and place to cloak yourself in the Flag and wave the banner of Freedom!! This ain;t it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies