Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2019, 03:01 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sigh, yes I know that. I'm fairly certain if walmart was charging people just to come through their doors they would find the payroll to check every single receipt too.
WHY does signing a little piece of paper make it suddenly not a violation of your rights, not in a legal sense but in the sense of what someone feels is offensive or not. Why does a receipt check make people 'feel like a criminal' at walmart but not costco, just because of a signature? Both retailers do it for the same exact reason.
Do the people who refuse to stop for a check at walmart also refuse to shop at a membership club on the principle that they're being treated like a criminal because of receipt checks? Please don't say again it's because of the signature, a receipt check is a receipt check, done for loss prevention regardless.
If one is a member an agreement was signed which grants the privilege of going onto their property. Just to be clear, you don't have a right to go onto their property, they grant you the privilege to shop at their place of business. If a member refuses to show the receipt check, then the business has the right to "tear up" the contract because the member violated that contract. The now ex member would loose the membership and be banned forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 04:17 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Walmart does not check everyone. That is where the problem is.

That is true. Maybe people can decide they don't want to pay the price at Walmart. Maybe they decide to borrow the product.

No, a problem is they usually don't have the legal right to.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:21 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Walmart doesn't... but Costco does...

Old 11-17-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Well that certainly went in a circle. Maybe someone else could give a shot at actual answers.

Translation: I don't like the answers, so I'll pretend the questions weren't addressed.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
WHY does signing a little piece of paper make it suddenly not a violation of your rights, not in a legal sense but in the sense of what someone feels is offensive or not.
The piece of paper is a contract. You agreed to the contract. It's that simple. When you tell someone that it's okay to check your receipts every time you walk past their exit, you have given up your right to be offended by it (on top of the obvious legal rights you may feel you have).

Old 11-17-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh really? I guess it depends where the Walmart is located and the socioeconomic group that shops there.

Yep.

Quote:
My local Walmart is frequented by a number of engineers, computer scientists, and Navy personnel from the nearby government base. I've never seen anyone wearing camo clothing, although I have seen a lot of Navy and Marine Corps uniforms there, and most of the shoppers seem to be buying "regular" groceries like veggies, baby food, shampoo, and cat/dog food. However, I do see men buying beer and Tostitos at Wegmans.
Same here.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'm not sure what political leanings have to do with any of this.

Wal Mart culture is pretty gross, IMO, if you take a look at the "people of Wal mart" photos of those who shop there. Wearing their camo and riding their tractors into the store, buying beer and junk food. I'm proud to not be a part of that red neck culture.
Walmarts exist in all types of towns from wealthy towns to lower class towns. The shoppers at each store reflect the type of neighborhood it is in. Heck, a lot of Walmarts don't even sell camo, ammo, and beer.

Do you really think the Walmarts in Fairfield County, CT are full of rednecks?

Old 11-17-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Walmart has closed several local stores from midnight to 6 am because the overhead was more than profit from sales. They have a store every 20 miles on the interstate in this rural area. The ones they closed were in towns of less than 5,000 population. Some have never met sales expectations. Yes I am friends with a store manager, that is where I get my information.

The voluntary bag check is a national directive from the headquarters in Bentonville. But the local store manager decides what hours they have it.

Kroger did the bolded with with their stores in the Houston metro. A few of those were 24 hour stores, but many were open until 1am and now close at 12am. A few Walmarts also changed from 24 hour to being closed from 12am to 6am.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Walmart doesn't... but Costco does...

Of course Costco does. It's allowed re the membership agreement. People getting upset about Costco doing it don't have a leg to stand on. If it bothers a person that much, don't become a member. The core subject of this thread though concerns Walmart....how people feel about Walmart doing it.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:45 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Of course, the issue can be taken to court, but chances are the employee will be fired or 'retrained' because a customer was not satisfied. Walmart will not take the fall for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies