Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 10:48 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Also don't forget this bag check isn't all about you. Door bag checkers are looking to see that the cashier correctly charged for all items in the shopping bag or cart.
Do those minimum wager bag checkers know the correct prices that those cashiers were supposed to charge? How carefully do they match up the items on the receipt with the items in the bag? How often do they catch mistakes? Ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 11:15 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
but if they do, then you will know not to shove the receipt away until AFTER you've passed the receipt-checker - yes?

for someone who said it earlier, what better way to shoplift than to have some screaming kids with you, tuck something (even your fully paid receipt) in the diaper bag, and hope the receipt-checker doesn't want to bother with you?

like I said "first they came for my receipt..."
I would hope I would, but.
I still have a hard time remembering at Sams club. Especially if I stop at the food court for something.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:21 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
One form of store theft is cashiers inputting the wrong info, which can lead to a lower price being rung up. This is one reason why stores sometimes check receipts as you exit. It’s not always shoppers they are worried about.
That’s not store theft; that’s employee error. Or are you alleging a conspiracy between buyer and cashier?

Old 11-14-2019, 11:28 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
That’s not store theft; that’s employee error. Or are you alleging a conspiracy between buyer and cashier?
Why not put a camera on the cashier instead?

Old 11-14-2019, 11:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
bag checks are voluntary unless they have reasonable suspicion you have stolen something.

Also don't forget this bag check isn't all about you. Door bag checkers are looking to see that the cashier correctly charged for all items in the shopping bag or cart.
They have no way of knowing the correct prices for your items and being able to double check them. It's about assuming the customer is stealing. I dislike the company's hubris. They want us to stand in line waiting for a cashier or check ourselves out, then stand in line again waiting for them to look over a receipt so they can make sure we aren't stealing items when they already have surveillance cameras, alarms, and "loss prevention" personnel.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:37 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You have it backwards. Demanding a receipt is requiring YOU to prove that YOU are innocent.
That's exactly what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is completely false.

It's your merchandise after you pay for it. It ceases to be "their" merchandise after you've paid for it and you're on your way out the store. There's no legal requirement to "prove" that you paid for it, in order to own it.
It's not often that I agree with you, but you are right in so many of your posts on this thread. Once I've paid for it, that is my merchandise. They no longer have claim over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Walmart did this to themselves. They can get rid of their self checkouts if they are so concerned about theft.
That would require them to actually hire enough people to have more than 2 check out lanes open resulting in extremely long lines...which is one of the main reasons I hardly ever shop there. All of those employees around the store, 2 people checking. Ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I agree, at Costco they always check every receipt and I understand why. I work retail, and we suffer HUGE losses through theft, and our customers are upper scale white people, for the most part. When you lose something like $47,000 in one department in only 6 months, that tells you how honest people are (not).

People think nothing of stealing and cheating these days. Every day I find some empty packaging, thrown under some shelf, where someone has stolen the item and discarded the box. We have done this to ourselves, making stores check us on the way out, and now we are complaining.
At Costco, you sign an agreement. I made no such agreement with Wal-Mart. And no, "we" did not do this to ourselves. I've never stolen from a store, I did nothing to cause this.

And just to point out, I used to work undercover store security. We had to make 100% sure that the person stole the goods before detaining them. Because if we were wrong, that person could turn around and sue the store for a good chunk of change. It definitely happened. Stores worried about loss of items? Get a better security team, close down the self checkout, or have people actually there watching the people in self check out, as they are supposed to have, get more people working the actual registers so the lines move faster, hire undercover store security...but don't harass customers.

As I said, I walk right on by, if they were to give me a hard time, I would point blank ask them if they had any suspicions of me committing a crime. If they blurt out that it's "store policy", I will ask them to go get said store policy, in writing, and show it to me, and then ask them why it is not displayed where every single patron can see it upon entrance to the store. If they still wanted to carry on about it, I would advise them to contact the police if they think I stole something, in the meantime, I'm going home. If they went so far as to do so, and of course I stole nothing, I would then be suing that store because there is nothing that shows the public, in writing, that entering that store is an "agreement" to be searched at the end of the shop, and I was detained for no reason.

"Would you actually go through all of that?"

Yep. It may not be a whole lot of money, but a good $5-10,000 is what those people got if they sued the store for detaining them if we were wrong as undercover security - not a bad payout for being treated like a criminal and detained for no agreed upon reason.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:53 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
I agree with the posters who say that once I've paid for the merchandise, it belongs to me. Legally speaking, I don't have to prove that I didn't steal it; the store has to prove that I did. If I don't want my bags searched, I am within my rights to just march on out the door.

But, that said, I submit to the receipt checking anyway. Why? Because I'm sympathetic to the store's position. They're losing a lot of money through shoplifting, and it's in their interests as well as mine to do what they can to reduce their losses. Just because I have a right to something, doesn't mean I have to assert that right. I can voluntarily waive it, in order to help the store ferret out shoplifters and keep the prices down for the honest people.

To be sure, they're not going to find anything stolen in my bags, because I don't steal. But if I demand my rights and stomp off in a huff, that will only embolden the shoplifters to do the same, and thus make it easier for them to steal. And I'd rather do my little part to help make it harder for the thieves and easier for the rest of us.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:31 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
It is their fault that they have so much theft. The self checks were taken out of our local one several years ago. They put them back just to cut wages. They knew they lost about 9% through them. Most of the shoplifting is because they are understaffed.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:40 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
On the other hand you voluntarily enter a place of business. The way I see it is that it's a mutually beneficial arrangement to both parties and the moment you step onto the property you should be agreeable to abiding by their policies. I know that as of now the law doesn't see it that way, but one can always hope that changes. Considering how much of a problem this is becoming something somewhere will have to change. Consumers are shooting themselves in the foot with allowing this behavior to continue in the name of personal rights, but it's going to come at the cost of the greater good.
Nope. If you have a Wal-Mart that seldom, if ever, checks receipts...then they randomly have receipt checks and not everyone is being checked...that is profiling, and that's not something I agreed to nor was it something I was made aware of upon entering the store.

Eff that.

I'll keep walking.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:05 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Random checks are not the same thing as profiling. They're just that, random.
So you'd be fine with the receipt checks if they had it posted, right? But again I say that if you enter a business voluntarily you should be ok with their policies, they don't force you to do business with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies