Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2019, 02:14 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Every show has a straight couple too. People are more likely to get invested in characters that are like them that means that they will tune in week after week. It's all about the money.
I disagree, people are more likely to invested in a actor or character that is interesting and has depth sexual basis regardless. Fear the walking dead Victor Strand self plotting agenda is interesting gay or not. So it can't be about money if so many shows have gay and lesbian people in it when they are such a low percentage of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 02:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, but they also risk turning off a lot of people (or, rather, having a lot of people turning the show off).

I was a fan of Grey's Anatomy for eight seasons, despite its very liberal bias (and, no, I am not going to put "imo" as I usually do in my posts because, imo, that is fact). But after it got to the point that it was unusual to have a Euro-white straight intelligent couple in an episode (other than Derek and Meredith, of course), I permanently stopped watching.

And, to be clear, there are many series that have gay couples and/or many non-white characters that I do watch and enjoy, but I just don't like it when TV shows make it seem as though those who still comprise the majority of people in the U.S. are actually only a small percentage of U.S. residents. In my opinion, that is almost as bad as what went on in the 50's and 60's when most TV shows and movies almost entirely ignored non-whites altogether, unless they were portrayed as some kind of servant or gang member.
There have been 2 or 3 gay couples on Greys, and not at the same time. Everyone else is straight and dating, or married to each other. Also most of the cast are white. I quit watching because it became just another soap opera with not much but who is sleeping with who.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I disagree, people are more likely to invested in a actor or character that is interesting and has depth sexual basis regardless. Fear the walking dead Victor Strand self plotting agenda is interesting gay or not. So it can't be about money if so many shows have gay and lesbian people in it when they are such a low percentage of the population.
Good writing is need too. Some shows are just unwatchable regardless of who the actors are.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:21 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, but they also risk turning off a lot of people (or, rather, having a lot of people turning the show off).

I was a fan of Grey's Anatomy for eight seasons, despite its very liberal bias (and, no, I am not going to put "imo" as I usually do in my posts because, imo, that is fact). But after it got to the point that it was unusual to have a Euro-white straight intelligent couple in an episode (other than Derek and Meredith, of course), I permanently stopped watching.

And, to be clear, there are many series that have gay couples and/or many non-white characters that I do watch and enjoy, but I just don't like it when TV shows make it seem as though those of us who are white and straight and who still comprise the majority of people in the U.S. are actually only a small percentage of U.S. residents. In my opinion, that is almost as bad as what went on in the 50's and 60's when most TV shows and movies almost entirely ignored non-whites altogether, unless they were portrayed as some kind of servant or gang member.
So you can’t watch a show or movie unless the majority of people look just like you? Wow.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Is anyone going to address the points Frank and I have been discussing?

Red?

Blue?

Bueller?

Old 11-20-2019, 04:05 PM

19,806 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There have been 2 or 3 gay couples on Greys, and not at the same time. Everyone else is straight and dating, or married to each other. Also most of the cast are white. I quit watching because it became just another soap opera with not much but who is sleeping with who.
I could argue with you about the fact (or opinion, if you insist) that Grey's did not give anything close to an accurate representation of the demographics of the U.S. (and particularly the demographics of Seattle), but I am not going to derail this thread any more than I already have. However, in making that statement, I was including the patients and their families in what I stated.

Have a good evening!

Old 11-20-2019, 05:10 PM

567 posts, read 431,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Gay people shouldn't be bothered or harrassed. Nobody should be. However, I will not approve turn-table bullying.

There's laws that say I shouldn't not-hire, fire, hit, vandalize the stuff or, yell slurs at people because they gay. That's fine, those are good laws.

But try as they might (and they're trying real hard in some places) there is no law that can make us love, praise, worship them and, adopt that as OUR lifestyle.

The decline, in my not-so-humble opinion, is not the 1 million same sex households, probably about 5 million individuals ...it's more because of the unwieldly influence that 5 million has over the other 345 million.

I don't like that the gay agenda is promoted as normal, even to grade school children. In games, comics now, TV shows, et al...

I don't like that, because it exists in nature, that it is should be considered normal. You know what else exists in nature? ebola, diahrhea(sp?), vomiting. Yea, technically natural but, rare, very gross and, it will not be embraced.

I don't like this:
GAYS: We want want a lack of intrusion in our bedrooms (ok, fine, makes perfect sense)
ALSO GAYS: We want a parade to show everybody what we do in the bedroom (.....)

I have no respect for any group so small, that so petulantly demands the overwhelming majority cater to them.

...and gay or straight, it's hard to respect, on an intellectual level, a person who's defining feature is what type of genitals they like. What about your job? Ever ran a marathon? Or you ever helped anybody on the side of the road? Do you even have a hobby? Were your illustrations put up in a storefront cuz' the proprietor thought they would attract business?

It's my God-given right not to like or adopt the gay lifestyle and, it's my 1st Ammendment right (if that even applies anymore apparently) to say it.
You mentioned the Gay Agenda. What exactly is the gay agenda? I looked everywhere on the internet for a copy of the gay agenda and couldn't find it. If you have a copy please share it with us. Who's their leader?
Do they meet in secret? Do they have a secret handshake? Inquisitive minds want to know.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The only reason marriage exists in any sort of Godly manner is an an accommodation to sin.

I Corinthians 7: "Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. ..."

That is, since the sin of lust exists, and little can be done about it, marriage is a "concession" (Paul's words, verse 6) to accommodate and "legitimize" that sin.

So we have: Heterosexual lust is a sin. Marriage exists to accommodate or acquiesce to it.
Why not: Homosexual lust is a sin. Allow marriage to accommodate or acquiesce to it.
I don't think President Trump would agree to the above.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:46 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Right, it would be "One Corinthians."

Old 11-20-2019, 05:48 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have no problem with interfaith, interracial, or Gay marriage. I made no argument against Gay marriage, don't know where you are getting that.
You literally posted you didn't want gay relationships normalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies