Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 05:08 PM

1,086 posts, read 442,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I think it’s safe to say Alabama has some of the most uneducated people in the nation.
It looks like Alabama outperformed Georgia and quite alot of states in many metrics like sat and act scores.

https://www.safehome.org/smartest-americans/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 05:10 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
LOL, what ever.
Talk about honest discussion

Quote:
I didnt see that part in your post, but to respond. Yes, black people are neglected alot in those states.
At least you're being consistent. Still, as I mentioned, that argument doesn't hold water with me as they are still part of the statewide statistics in states that are led by leftists or conservatives. Thus, I argue its completely legitimate to point out what some see as failures in education policy in leftist vs. conservative states.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,239,391 times
While I’m encouraged by Florida’s 4th grade results. It looks like we fall off a cliff at 8th and 12th grade marks. That tells me parents are doing a darn good job at home early on but that lack of funding shows up past elementary school.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Talk about honest discussion
What is dishonest about my response ? Me lying and saying I believed you would be dishonest. To use your own phrase , "that argument doesnt hold water with me"

Your original post was clearly a backhanded compliment aimed at the left. the problem there is my post in no way attacks the right, therefore no reason for you to respond to my post in the way you did.

Quote:
At least you're being consistent. Still, as I mentioned, that argument doesn't hold water with me as they are still part of the statewide statistics in states that are led by leftists or conservatives. Thus, I argue its completely legitimate to point out what some see as failures in education policy in leftist vs. conservative states.
Its not a failure if the child was never apart of the system previously, which is my point when it comes to California.

I also dont blame every conservative because of segregation in Dallas and Tuscaloosa counties in Alabama(as well as others)

Old 11-24-2019, 05:26 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
What is dishonest about my response ? Me lying and saying I believed you would be dishonest. To use your own phrase , "that argument doesnt hold water with me"

Your original post was clearly a backhanded compliment aimed at the left. the problem there is my post in no way attacks the right, therefore no reason for you to respond to my post in the way you did.
You outright and mockingly dismissing my explanation doesn't invite honest conversation.

Quote:
Its not a failure if the child was never apart of the system previously, which is my point when it comes to California.

I also dont blame every conservative because of segregation in Dallas and Tuscaloosa counties in Alabama(as well as others)
If the issue was only "illegals," you'd have a point, but I'm sure we can point to black and legal Latino citizen children who are also bringing down education success statistics in California. And, indeed, only 3% of the school-aged population in California is illegal, so you're giving them too much credit so to speak: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-undocumented/. In any case, that state bends over backward to accommodate illegals and their families with ESL classes and other measures. Its funny that Asian immigrant children--who also aren't part of "the system" seem to be doing just fine

Old 11-24-2019, 05:40 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
While I’m encouraged by Florida’s 4th grade results. It looks like we fall off a cliff at 8th and 12th grade marks. That tells me parents are doing a darn good job at home early on but that lack of funding shows up past elementary school.
Florida has a very low percentage of children also which means that the system isn't overwhelmed.

I don't even know why California even bothers having a public education system, it's a disease spreading, gang recruiting daycare service for a vast majority of the state. The reality is a vast majority of the current students in the schools in California wasting taxpayer money are just going to repeat the cycle and have children early and often. So I don't even know why that state bothers.

Florida doesn't have that widespread baby after baby culture that California has outside of a few micro-areas.

I have not been all over Florida, just Tampa, Sarasota and Orlando areas but there I didn't see the huge poor families with multiple children they can't afford to take of like when ever I have been in much of California.

California has a culture of poor families having way too many children, the schools are packed because poor and middle-class Californians have extremely numbers of children they can't afford.

When ever I have been in Southern California I was stunned by the amount of people who can't put together cohesive sentence in English who have 3 to 5 kids in tow.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:16 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Would you like the property tax information, as well?

It can be used as a comparison from one state to another. That's why the poster mentioned it and why I posted it.
Every one can post simplistic statistics defending their point of view.

Demographics is the number one statistic that influences school ratings.

The Houston ISD used to post test scores of each school by demographics. Asians and whites nearly universally finished first and second. Hispanics and blacks third and fourth.

Last edited by whogo; 11-24-2019 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-24-2019, 06:37 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.nationsreportcard.gov/pr...MN&year=2019R3

https://files.taxfoundation.org/2019...tion_FF643.pdf

Florida with no income tax ranks #4. California ranks #44. The great state of Texas is #12 on 4th grade math scores

Starting at $56,035 the ultra-corrupt, one-party, third-world cesspool that is California confiscates 10.3% of their residents income with it's government corruption.

Texas and Florida have no state income tax with public schools far superior compared to California.

California has horrible public schools that Missisippi would never tolerate.

Then again, I am not surprised California is known for some of the most inhumane jails and prisons on earth, LA has laughable infrastructure with many main streets in the San Fernando having dirt sidewalks.

Poor Californians tend to have very high birth rates. The state has always seemed like one big baby factory when ever I have been there. The few exceptions are the wealthy coastal towns (Newport Beach/Carlsbad), city of San Francisco and some of the rural parts of the state adjacent to national forests.

https://files.taxfoundation.org/2019...tion_FF643.pdf

California ranked #44 for 4th grade test scores in America. Despite the tremendous scandenavian level taxes the state of California taxes they have far lower test scores than Mississippi.

Mississippi average test score: 241
California average test score: 235
Why did you select just the 4th grade, I know you weren't cherry picking.

Maybe you should consider moving to Mississippi for their education system.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Yeah, I'm sure the deep south is going to shine. They should test their history knowledge being as they may be well versed in the "War of Northern Aggression" and such.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:26 PM

1,086 posts, read 442,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the deep south is going to shine. They should test their history knowledge being as they may be well versed in the "War of Northern Aggression" and such.
I wonder why?

Didn't you start a thread saying you lived in florida? Lol. Another rootless Yankee fleeing paradise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies