Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 08:40 PM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ok, buddy. You're right, no innovation beyond your gas powered car is possible because Infowars tells you so.
Wanting Joy Behar to teach you how to think doesn't mean that's how things work. Infowars is just the link to the story of the half mile long line in CA.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:53 PM

32,074 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Earth to 'enviro'-gadget heads: Wishing doesn't make it as practical as liquid fuel.

https://www.infowars.com/video-tesla...tric-vehicles/
Electric cars are the future. So you may as well get used to it. I don't understand why anyone would be against them in the first place. We have a Volt which kicks over to gas if need be. But it hardly ever does because we just plug it in the garage, no special equipment needed. The problem with all electric right now is there aren't enough charging stations especially at airports. That will change though as they become the norm.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:17 PM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Electric cars are the future. So you may as well get used to it. I don't understand why anyone would be against them in the first place. We have a Volt which kicks over to gas if need be. But it hardly ever does because we just plug it in the garage, no special equipment needed. The problem with all electric right now is there aren't enough charging stations especially at airports. That will change though as they become the norm.
I'm against their subsidies. I'm against digging up millions of miles of surface, and building that many more high tension towers, to increase the size of the transmission lines their cult will need if all their neighbors have one too. I'm against building more area-swallowing generation for those lines based on PV and wind turbines. I'm against their slow return-to-road times as their power sources deplete. I'm against misguided, proactive attempts by a cult to do away with liquid fueled counterparts to EVs.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:19 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
And when the first gas cars were produced, did you think there were Shell stations coast to coast?
Gasoline cars had major advantages over the horses they replaced. Electric car's don't have major advantages over gasoline cars. Just some minor ones... plus some disadvantages, as these Tesla driver found out.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:23 PM

32,074 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
I'm against their subsidies. I'm against digging up millions of miles of surface, and building that many more high tension towers, to increase the size of the transmission lines their cult will need if all their neighbors have one too. I'm against their slow return-to-road times as their power sources deplete. I'm against misguided, proactive attempts by a cult to do away with liquid fueled counterparts to EVs.
What high tension towers do they need? We just plug ours in the outlet in our garage. No big deal. And this is not a cult, it's the future. We save hundreds of dollars in gas every year. And our electric bill has hardly gone up. Why wouldn't people want to save money.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:24 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
I'm against their subsidies. I'm against digging up millions of miles of surface, and building that many more high tension towers, to increase the size of the transmission lines their cult will need if all their neighbors have one too. I'm against their slow return-to-road times as their power sources deplete. I'm against misguided, proactive attempts by a cult to do away with liquid fueled counterparts to EVs.
Don't worry, there are people much smarter and more ambitious than you or me who will take up the challenge and find solutions to the problems you are happy to remain stuck on forever. In case you haven't noticed, history is full of examples of innovation beyond the limits of what ignorant naysayers said would ever be possible. That's the story of progress, and I wouldn’t bet against it in the long run.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:30 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The first electric car was in 1890. How much time do you think they need.
Careful with the facts-that's a good way to get banned. Oh wait, this isn't Facebook.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Ok, buddy. You're right, no innovation beyond your gas powered car is possible because Infowars tells you so.
It's not Infowars that tells us EVs aren't practical for long distance driving-it's engineering. And common sense.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So you hardly ever drive more than 30-40 miles? I think range-extended EVs are the only remotely practical ones. But-if you only drive such a short distance-is it worth the trouble to plug in every night and unplug every morning (hope you don't ever forget) just to save $3 or so of gas a day? To say nothing about what you pay for such a premium for the Volt in the first place. Let alone the cost of the home charging station.

I drive ~100 miles a day. My diesel Grand Cherokee gets 650 miles on a tank...and takes about 5 minutes to fuel. Oh, with no need to invest in a home charging station. Or worry about being without power once in a while.

Concerning charging stations-a fuelup at a gas pump takes what, 5 minutes? Meaning you get up to 12 customers an hour through each pump. Now-just how many do you get through a EV charging station in the same time? To have anywhere near the same throughput, your charging stations are going to have to have a lot more chargers. A lot more parking lot. A lot more room for people to sit, wait, and twiddle their thumbs waiting on a charge. Now-just what is the impact of all that extra pavement? The extra structures for the chargers? The upgrade to the electrical infrastructure to support that?

Old 12-02-2019, 09:38 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's not Infowars that tells us EVs aren't practical for long distance driving-it's engineering. And common sense.
So you're an engineer by trade with professional working knowledge of electric battery vs. combustion engine vehicles, I take it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies