Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 09:40 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's not Infowars that tells us EVs aren't practical for long distance driving-it's engineering. And common sense.
So we should just stop with the advancement of technology. No, I don't think so. People with so called common sense said we would never get to the moon. We have to keep moving forward.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:40 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Electric cars are the future. So you may as well get used to it. I don't understand why anyone would be against them in the first place. We have a Volt which kicks over to gas if need be. But it hardly ever does because we just plug it in the garage, no special equipment needed. The problem with all electric right now is there aren't enough charging stations especially at airports. That will change though as they become the norm.
Actually, it's possible right now to put a solar panel on a car roof.

I'm a bit surprised that Tesla doesn't include that as an option. Probably spoils the streamlining or something.

It would be pretty easy for you to wean yourself from needing a garage hookup. IIRC, there's room on the roof of a Volt for a panel, so you could take your Volt on a longer trip with no need to find a place to plug in. And probably have enough juice left over to run a 12v refrigerator, freeing you up from having to eat in restaurants (unless of course you want to).

Does the Volt have a battery bank? If it does, can you add capacity to it? No solar panel can keep up with the draw of a modern car at highway speeds. But a portable solar panel could keep extra batteries topped up.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-02-2019 at 09:57 PM..

Old 12-02-2019, 09:41 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
I rice my F150 450 miles, pull into gas station and fill up. Back on highway in 10 minutes.

Electric car runs low on charge and needs a 5 hour charge to go 200 miles. Sounds like great technology. I’ll stick to my Ford.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:41 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So you're an engineer by trade with professional working knowledge of electric battery vs. combustion engine vehicles, I take it?
The drivers waiting an hour in Kettleman City, CA didn't need engineers to tell them they were stranded for an hour driving a car with a depleted electric battery that need to be plugged into a transformer with a glacial wait time.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:43 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
What high tension towers do they need? We just plug ours in the outlet in our garage. No big deal. And this is not a cult, it's the future. We save hundreds of dollars in gas every year. And our electric bill has hardly gone up. Why wouldn't people want to save money.
And does every single one of your neighbors do the same thing?

Old 12-02-2019, 09:45 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So you hardly ever drive more than 30-40 miles? I think range-extended EVs are the only remotely practical ones. But-if you only drive such a short distance-is it worth the trouble to plug in every night and unplug every morning (hope you don't ever forget) just to save $3 or so of gas a day? To say nothing about what you pay for such a premium for the Volt in the first place. Let alone the cost of the home charging station.

I drive ~100 miles a day. My diesel Grand Cherokee gets 650 miles on a tank...and takes about 5 minutes to fuel. Oh, with no need to invest in a home charging station. Or worry about being without power once in a while.

Concerning charging stations-a fuelup at a gas pump takes what, 5 minutes? Meaning you get up to 12 customers an hour through each pump. Now-just how many do you get through a EV charging station in the same time? To have anywhere near the same throughput, your charging stations are going to have to have a lot more chargers. A lot more parking lot. A lot more room for people to sit, wait, and twiddle their thumbs waiting on a charge. Now-just what is the impact of all that extra pavement? The extra structures for the chargers? The upgrade to the electrical infrastructure to support that?

And how much do you pay to fill up your tank. And we don't have a home charging station. We plug it into a normal outlet. It's like plugging in a toaster, no big deal. My husband fills up the Volt with gas once a year. Do the math to figure out how much we save.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:50 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
And how much do you pay to fill up your tank. And we don't have a home charging station. We plug it into a normal outlet. It's like plugging in a toaster, no big deal. My husband fills up the Volt with gas once a year. Do the math to figure out how much we save.
Actually the volt is better technology than most electric cars. It’s gasoline generator allows the vehicle to take long trips while your short commute is covered by the charge on the battery. I am far more impressed with this system than traditional electric cars.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:53 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,520 times
Quote:
An avg. clothes dryer uses about 2.1 kWh of energy per load of laundry. An EV, maybe 28 kWh to move 100 miles at the speed limit.

Imagine if all your neighbors helped put their own 28 kWh loads on the grid about twice a week--just for their cars. Multiply nationwide.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:07 PM

366 posts, read 214,510 times

Old 12-02-2019, 10:08 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Actually the volt is better technology than most electric cars. It’s gasoline generator allows the vehicle to take long trips while your short commute is covered by the charge on the battery. I am far more impressed with this system than traditional electric cars.
I agree. At least that technology is practical for a person that only has one vehicle. Now, perhaps not for someone that lives in the country in snow country, due to lack of AWD and even shorter electric range in snow and cold, but then at least you have the ICE to keep you moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.