Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 02:31 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,106,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Sure it is, its a data visualization without a title and with labels that don't clearly state what the data represents.
Uh-huh. Would you like us to label the countries too, and perhaps read them out for you?

The chart was hardly a difficult read.

Do you still have nothing to say about our lack of standing relative to the rest of the civilized world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 02:38 PM

12,772 posts, read 8,005,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Uh-huh. Would you like us to label the countries too, and perhaps read them out for you?

The chart was hardly a difficult read.

Do you still have nothing to say about our lack of standing relative to the rest of the civilized world?
You are being illogical, and also now trying to change my argument by saying the chart was "difficult to read" which I never said or implied at all.

Things like the shape and location of countries are universally known and understood.

Sloppy chart labels with non-clear descriptions and no title on the chart allow people to develop their own interpretations as to what is meant. Conversely, the locations of Canada and Africa are not open to interpretation. As much as you want to make this about me, I can promise you, its not about me. Its about a sloppy chart that was misleading as I've pointed out 100x now. A rational person who didn't have political beef with me, or who wasn't just looking to pick a fight would have been able to grasp these points by now.

As for the different approach the US takes in allowing companies to compensate their employees, no, I do not have anything to add other than the fact that I'm OK with how our country regulates business for the most part, except when they go overboard or when they allow lobbyists to manipulate and buy favors.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:41 PM

50,457 posts, read 64,308,089 times
Women have always had 3 months paid maternity leave, IF they have accrued that much sick time and vacation. I did that 37 years ago. To expect a company to pay people to stay home is not fair to the business.

If we are a country which thinks maternal or paternal leaves are important, then we can vote to use taxes for it. Lord knows, we waste billions of $$ on things we DONT care about, like protecting newts and spotted owls. Our children should be at least as important.

Didn’t the president just vote for some sort of child care or leave act? Ivana has been pushing for it. Scary to think that AOC agrees with them.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
You are being illogical, and now trying to change my argument by saying the chart was "difficult to read" which I never said or implied at all.

Things like the shape and location of countries are universally known and understood.

Sloppy chart labels with non-clear descriptions and no title on the chart allow people to develop their own interpretations as to what is meant. Conversely, the locations of Canada and Africa are not open to interpretation. As much as you want to make this about me, I can promise you, its not about me. Its about a sloppy chart that was misleading as I've pointed out 100x now. A rational person who didn't have political beef with me, or who wasn't just looking to pick a fight would have been able to grasp these points by now.

As for the different approach the US takes in allowing companies to compensate their employees, no, I do not have anything to add other than the fact that I'm OK with how our country regulates business for the most part, except when they go overboard or when they allow lobbyists to manipulate and buy favors.
So you’re basically in this thread to whine about an unlabeled chart that only replicates the info the OP posted and that was further reinforced with a clearly-labeled bar-graph?

Of course you don’t have anything to add to this thread, that was obvious from the start (I’m not sure why you felt the need to state that....).

Old 12-20-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
So you’re basically in this thread to whine about an unlabeled chart that only replicates the info the OP posted and that was further reinforced with a clearly-labeled bar-graph?

Of course you don’t have anything to add to this thread, that was obvious from the start (I’m not sure why you felt the need to state that....).
I have yet to "whine" about anything. I pointed out that the chart is misleading because any time you have data and analysis as an input to a conversation that could be misinterpreted is important to point out and clarify. But the first thing you did was call names. Your actions and others who act like you are the reason we cant have political discussions without it turning into a fight. Its pretty disgusting.

Anyway, point being that just because a law doesn't require something doesn't mean we should ignore that it exists where it does.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I have yet to "whine" about anything. I pointed out that the chart is misleading because any time you have data and analysis as an input to a conversation that could be misinterpreted is important to point out and clarify. But the first thing you did was call names. Your actions and others who act like you are the reason we cant have political discussions without it turning into a fight. Its pretty disgusting.

Anyway, point being that just because a law doesn't require something doesn't mean we should ignore that it exists where it does.
There’s that lovely, well-practiced, right-wing projection. Props.

That is literally not remotely what you said when you initially called the chart “misleading”; you instead chose to deflect.

Quote:
That chart is intentionally misleading. Although it's not mandated, plenty of companies in the US offer paid leave.

But do keep up the lies.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:53 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,196,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Rather they've stood up to the corporate overlords better than we have.
https://clockify.me/working-hours
So YOU are being held down by the "corporate overlords?" You do know that the vast majority of corporations are just small companies....right?

Old 12-20-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
That chart is intentionally misleading. Although it's not mandated, plenty of companies in the US offer paid leave.
Quote:
There’s that lovely, well-practiced, right-wing projection. Props.

That is literally not remotely what you said when you initially called the chart “misleading”; you instead chose to deflect.

But do keep up the lies.
There is the original quote for you again. I said the chart was misleading, its obvious why. But again, continuing to call me names in response after response tells me a lot more about you than you are trying to imply about me.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
There is the original quote for you again. I said the chart was misleading, its obvious why. But again, continuing to call me names in response after response tells me a lot more about you than you are trying to imply about me.

It’s not my problem that people are criticizing your statements as BS. Sorry dude.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:59 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,196,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post

The chart you were referring to was not misleading. The 17% who do have access to paid maternity leave in the US, do so as an offer through their employer and it is not mandated by law. The whole crux of AOC point is that paid maternity leave should be protected by law. How are you finding this all so confusing?
So she wants to increase the price of goods and services! There is no such thing as a free lunch!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies