Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2019, 10:48 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,089,994 times

Advertisements

Here is the guy that shot and killed two innocent people.

Fellow CD posters, is he a domestic terrorist? Or will he get the "mental illness" label?

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...03290221776901
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 10:49 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here are the top ten states for homicide rates:

Louisiana - swing state
Missouri - Currently red but historically blue (all recent years from 1993 through 2016 except for 2005-2008)
Alaska - generally red
Maryland - Blue - but hey, they do have the Bread and Roses Party! Woohoo!
New Mexico - Blue
Alabama - Red
South Carolina - Red
Tennessee - Red
Arkansas - Red
Illinois - Blue

So five "red" states, two swing states, and three "blue" states. Seems like a mixed bag to me. And one of "red" states has a very mixed bag and is basically a swing state but I was feeling magnanimous since I know that most violent crime happens in major cities and most major cities vote blue.

Huh? Louisiana is solid red. Voted for Trump 58-38. Same with Missouri, voted for Trump 57-38.

So really the top 10 homicide rates have 7 red states and 3 blue. Notice that my state, California, is not in the top ten and we have some of the tightest gun controls. Maybe that shows that gun controls do help reduce death rates?

Old 12-31-2019, 10:50 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Here are the top ten states for homicide rates:

Louisiana - swing state
Missouri - Currently red but historically blue (all recent years from 1993 through 2016 except for 2005-2008)
Alaska - generally red
Maryland - Blue - but hey, they do have the Bread and Roses Party! Woohoo!
New Mexico - Blue
Alabama - Red
South Carolina - Red
Tennessee - Red
Arkansas - Red
Illinois - Blue

So five "red" states, two swing states, and three "blue" states. Seems like a mixed bag to me. And one of "red" states has a very mixed bag and is basically a swing state but I was feeling magnanimous since I know that most violent crime happens in major cities and most major cities vote blue.
In Missouri, the vast majority of gun homicides are in the major metro areas which are controlled by Democrats.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Oh, and the cities with the most murders per capita are (drum roll):

St. Louis - 66.7 (murder rate per 100k) (wow!) (Democrat mayor)
Baltimore - 55.7 (Democrat mayor)
Detroit - 39.8 (Democrat mayor)
New Orleans - 39.5 (Democrat mayor)
Baton Rouge - 38.26 (Democrat mayor)
Kansas City - 30.93 (Democrat mayor)
Cleveland - 27.77 (Democrat mayor)
Memphis - 27.73 (Democrat mayor)
Newark - 27.14 (Democrat mayor)
Chicago - 24.13 (Democrat mayor)

In fact, the largest city with a Republican mayor is San Diego and it has a homicide rate of 2.46. Next is Jacksonville FL with a homicide rate of 12.18. Then we have Fort Worth, with a homicide rate of 8.02.

The homicide rate for the US total is 5.3 per 100K folks.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:09 AM

19,652 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Here is the guy that shot and killed two innocent people.

Fellow CD posters, is he a domestic terrorist? Or will he get the "mental illness" label that many white mass shooters are given?

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...03290221776901
Not sure about his medical history, but the black guy who hit the rabbi's party is definitely severely mentally ill, with a lot of medical history to prove it.

There are plenty of people running about with long criminal histories, and often bizarre behaviors along the way, but who may not have been institutionalized, medicated or diagnosed because we don't force it on people in modern society.

This guy doesn't seem to be political, just a dangerous criminal with a long rap sheet and this wasn't random because he had some history with the church. Either he was ready to die, which is crazy, or he thought he would get revenge and somehow get away with it. We have to be on the lookout for these angry, unbalanced, nothing-to-lose types more, I think our culture is producing more of them as we go along.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Huh? Louisiana is solid red. Voted for Trump 58-38. Same with Missouri, voted for Trump 57-38.

So really the top 10 homicide rates have 7 red states and 3 blue. Notice that my state, California, is not in the top ten and we have some of the tightest gun controls. Maybe that shows that gun controls do help reduce death rates?
Hey, my state of Texas isn't there either! Imagine that!

And Louisiana has bounced between Republican and Democratic for decades. The current governor is a Democrat. Before that the governor was a Republican. Before that, a Democrat. Before that, a Democrat. The mayors of New Orleans have been Democrats since the 1870s. The mayors of Baton Rouge have been Democrats since 1872 with the exception of four years (2001 to 2005).

The top five cities in Louisiana population wise are New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lafayette, and Lake Charles and about 1/3 of the state's population lives in these metro areas. The top three metro areas have been solidly Democratic since the 1800s.

So yeah, I'd say that qualifies Louisiana as a swing state.

Some good news for Louisiana though is that the homicide rate is forecast to drop 30 PERCENT in 2019. In fact, Louisiana's violent crime rate in general is trending downward, thank goodness.
https://louisianaradionetwork.com/20...-in-louisiana/

As for Missouri, it has a higher than average number of people living in rural areas, but 1/3 or so of it's population lives in these five cities: Kansas City, St. Louis, Springfield, Columbia, and Jefferson City. Out of those five cities, the following have Democrats for mayors - St. Louis and Kansas City (the two largest metro areas in the state). The other three mayors have not declared a party.

And good news for Missouri is that the violent crime rate there is trending downward as well. And the overall murder rate is 9.7 which is still high but considerably lower than that of St. Louis. Thank goodness for those rural areas!

Old 12-31-2019, 11:38 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Thanks, but that's weak. Turning the other cheek refers to not responding to injury with revenge. Taking out a shooter in self defense of self or others isn't revenge. Its saving a life. Again, you're off the mark with your interpretation of scripture.

Moving on, Christ didn't engage in violence, which is good for him. But he also didn't preach a lack of violence in self defense, etc.
Didn't Jesus say "get them before they get you?" I thought that was in the third testament.

Seriously, how are we to know that these shootings are not part of the Divine Plan? So many other things are reported to be part of God's plan, why not this too?

In any case, I would think that people who are true believers would not fear to be called home while they are attending services. And to me, it is all about the consequences to the eternal soul. Is it better to lose your life to save your soul or to lose your soul to save your life?

I am neutral on the gun issue. If people want to kill other people in self defense, I can't speak for or against that. I just wonder what the Almighty's response will be when they turn up at the pearly gates.

If I recall the second Testament correctly, Jesus did not kill those who sought to kill Him. I suppose it is different for His followers. Perhaps they trust Him so little that they are afraid of what will happen to them if they are murdered.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:43 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Apart from cultural differences, most other countries also have better control of their gun stock than the US does (I'd imagine that there are many millions of illegal guns in the US, making it easy to get your hands on a firearm if you want to). In the US, we are at the point of no return and any attempt to get a better grasp on the gun stock here via, say, confiscation (as other countries have done) would do nothing more than disarm the law abiding. It would be like trying to re-institute prohibition. Not to mention, it would be grossly unconstitutional.

Still, the fundamental flaw with your approach is that you're only mentally ill for purposes of gun ownership if you've been adjudicated as such by a court or other legal process. Thus, apart from reporting issues (and most states report just fine), you'd still have plenty of mentally ill people who aren't legally "mentally ill" who would be able to gain access to firearms under the most stringent of background checks law.

In any event, I'm still waiting for leftists to provide examples of where stronger background checks would have stopped the mass shootings that have happened in this country. These shooters have either stolen weapons or generally passed background checks (and were not mentally adjudicated as being ill). The approach may sound good to you, but I'm looking for solutions that will actually make a difference (as judged by actual evidence on the need for such).
Background checks do in fact work, I don't see how you prove something is effective since it blocked gun possession. Dylan Roof passed the background check because of course they had to deliver his clearance in 72 hours, the Odessa, TX shooter bought his gun in a private sale. No question that we need to tighten up checks.

So what makes our country special when it comes to gun violence, do we have more mentally ill people than other countries. I know it couldn't be easy access to guns so it must be something else that causes all this violence.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:44 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Hey, my state of Texas isn't there either! Imagine that!

And Louisiana has bounced between Republican and Democratic for decades. The current governor is a Democrat. Before that the governor was a Republican. Before that, a Democrat. Before that, a Democrat. The mayors of New Orleans have been Democrats since the 1870s. The mayors of Baton Rouge have been Democrats since 1872 with the exception of four years (2001 to 2005).

The top five cities in Louisiana population wise are New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lafayette, and Lake Charles and about 1/3 of the state's population lives in these metro areas. The top three metro areas have been solidly Democratic since the 1800s.

So yeah, I'd say that qualifies Louisiana as a swing state.

Some good news for Louisiana though is that the homicide rate is forecast to drop 30 PERCENT in 2019. In fact, Louisiana's violent crime rate in general is trending downward, thank goodness.
https://louisianaradionetwork.com/20...-in-louisiana/

As for Missouri, it has a higher than average number of people living in rural areas, but 1/3 or so of it's population lives in these five cities: Kansas City, St. Louis, Springfield, Columbia, and Jefferson City. Out of those five cities, the following have Democrats for mayors - St. Louis and Kansas City (the two largest metro areas in the state). The other three mayors have not declared a party.

And good news for Missouri is that the violent crime rate there is trending downward as well. And the overall murder rate is 9.7 which is still high but considerably lower than that of St. Louis. Thank goodness for those rural areas!
I live in a rural county in Missouri. We have had TWO gun homicides in the county in the last ten years. One was a drug dealer killing a customer. The other was a homeowner killing a home invader.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:55 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Gun laws don't always work so we should not have gun laws is like saying a lot of people speed so we don't need speed limits. Stronger background checks would be a huge plus whether they take 72 hours or ten days. Keeping guns out of the people's hands who don't need them goes a long way, even if some of those people still manage to get guns. That seems pretty self-evident to me

I said it before and I will say it again. I am glad this fellow was there to shoot down the threat, but hindsiht being what it is, maybe churches ought to consider keeping some people out until they can make sure, oh, I don't know, that they aren't carrying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies