Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 03:10 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Whoever said there would be? Or even should be?

Most important result of this shooting (and quick neutralizing of the murderer), is that other people cotemplating murder or mass murder (at least in Texas) now know that there's a pretty good chance of at least one or two good guys with guns somewhere nearby when he commits his crime. And this knowledge has a pretty good chance to persuading him not to commit his crime in the first place.

Presto, lives are saved. And without a shot being fired. And regardless of whether the good guy(s) are highly skilled or not.

I suggest that a lot more lives will be saved this way, than innocent bystanders are accidentally shot by a good-but-clumsy guy trying to shoot the murderer.

The biggest mystery is, why are liberals so totally committed to NOT trying this method of crime reduction? Why do they keep trying same same failed schemes (restrict the guns and restrict the law-abiding) instead, that have never worked?
You really think someone who isn't thinking rationally is thinking -- oh gee not going to do a mass shooting in Texas because they will kill me?

Seriously -- really?

From what I can gather most of these sick shooters want to be killed ........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 03:10 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I would not trust those women in a room full of people to make the right choice.
I sure you wouldn't rather have some psycho kill 20 people...if one of those women could have stopped him

Old 12-30-2019, 03:11 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
My social media feeds have been inundated by my right leaning friends going on and on about the good guy with a gun. The guy was an extensively trained security professional that was 'on duty' at church. He did his job and it was a helluva shot.
That's a good point that this was more than just a good guy with a gun. It was his job and he was trained more than probably anyone else with a gun.

One thing I saw run across my newsfeed a few hours ago was a forearms store using a still of the video from the church to sell firearms and training. I found that pretty disgusting and disturbing. I may be in the market for a Glock here at some point and now I realize I need to do research on where to buy from to make sure they have not run similiar advertisements

Old 12-30-2019, 03:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
My social media feeds have been inundated by my right leaning friends going on and on about the good guy with a gun. The guy was an extensively trained security professional that was 'on duty' at church. He did his job and it was a helluva shot.

However, I still cannot understand the argument that everyone, regardless of training or mental capacity, should just carry guns. What if 5 or 10 people just stood up and started shooting from multiple angles? It would look like a Tarantino movie in there. How would this be a good thing?
I'm sorry, is someone on this forum making this argument - that everyone, regardless of training or mental capacity, should just carry guns?

Have you seen the footage of the shooting scene by the way? Multiple people, from all different angles, did stand up and draw their weapons - but they didn't shoot, in spite of the fear and chaos and screaming.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Our church has an armed security team and they are very well screened and trained. There is in fact a coalition of churches and other houses of worship in this area which supports security training and which coordinates with law enforcement.

My dad was a member of the security team at our church so I am pretty well versed in their requirements.

Also, at our church, the pastor asked for anyone who may carry a weapon to church to please let him know privately. I'm assuming people let him know (my husband and I did, for starters, and we do know of others who also let the pastor know - and we know of others who decided that they will NOT bring a gun into church - both are respectable, valid options in my opinion). We also had a presentation during church of how to respond if there is a shooter. It was a presentation which left many people sad (me too) but it needed to be shown and discussed I believe.

Knowledge is power though. I feel better now knowing that we've taken what I consider to be reasonable precautions. So I just don't worry about it too much anymore.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:23 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:

From what I can gather most of these sick shooters want to be killed ........
Then we should be delighted we granted his wish, in just 6 seconds, to boot.

Efficiency rocks.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:24 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
This would be like praising the fact that there is medication to give folks who OD on opiodes if is caught in time.

Yeah that's great -- but we still have an opiode problem...and not sure we can just be happy with giving everyone kits.

(Be clear -- not suggesting we need gun control -- we just need to do something and I would love to explore the options with both sides).

Then lay it out, what are your suggestions?

Old 12-30-2019, 03:31 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
I will concede I don't know the title -- and it varies from state to state.....but the basics are the same 6-8 hour training and specific requirements (you can't be on drugs, a criminal, etc....).

I don't believe that 6--8 hrs. makes anyone a skilled gun owner.

Who ever said 6-8 hours makes you a skilled gun owner????

Quote:
I have friends whose proud gun toting husbands buy them guns and they go once a year to a shooting range...at the most....lol. I would not trust those women in a room full of people to make the right choice.

I noticed you did not say those women ever went to get their concealed permit? Why is that, and why is their husband a "proud gun toting husband"?

Old 12-30-2019, 03:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Then we should be delighted we granted his wish, in just 6 seconds, to boot.

Efficiency rocks.
It sure did in this case. I'm sure his church is glad he was a skilled shooter.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:33 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
You really think someone who isn't thinking rationally is thinking -- oh gee not going to do a mass shooting in Texas because they will kill me?
There goes another "I'm sure all mass murderers think exactly the same way" acolyte.

It's easier than acknowledging that while some are completely insane, some are at least partly rational, however murderous. And if you can stop those, you will have fewer dead innocents.

How many mass murderers have tried to escape, or hide their guns and masquerade among their victims, or surrender to cops when they arrive etc.?

Plenty.

It takes some irrationality to want to commit mass murder.

It takes a lot more irrationality to want to go out in a blaze of "glory" leaving a long list of dead victims after you're gone.

Quite a few mass murderers, while irrational, often aren't THAT irrational. And if they know they won't rack up their hoped-for huge body count before someone stops them like the good guy in the church did, even some of them might not do the crime either.

Do you begin to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies