Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2020, 04:24 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
You are making the same baseless arguments that Pat Cipollone made back in October. He said the inquiry is “constitutionally invalid and a violation of due process"& then stopped there.
Why go any further? Because you're mad?

Quote:
Except to categorically refuse to cooperate in any way with the impeachmeny inquiry.

When you've done nothing wrong, why cooperate?

Are you saying guilty until proven innocent?

Quote:
If he is claiming the IM-POTUS is being denied Constitutionally mandated procedural protections, why didn't he advocate for the IM-POTUS?

I'm sorry, what does IM-POTUS mean?

To the rest, did not have to.

Quote:
& why still no defense?

Nothing to defend. Being mad (you and your ilk), does not mean you need a defense. You and your ilk need to provide something to defend....what are your charges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 04:35 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times
From Neal Katyal on twitter:

THREAD ON IMPEACHMENT AND REMOVAL IN THE NEW YEAR. The conventional wisdom is that the Republicans in the Senate will rush to acquit Trump. I outline here why I think that overstates the case, and that the process has any number of variables in which things may change.

1. Trump wants you to believe that the outcome is preordained. But it’s not. Particularly when he acts the way he does.

In short, he acts like a guilty man.

2. First, the facts. Trump has done something no one has done, not even Nixon. Categorically blocked all witnesses&documents in impeachment. That’s how a guilty man behaves. Nixon’s support looked strong through the start of impeachment, but it crumbled.

3. Trump has outed the whistleblower by name. Is that how an innocent man behaves?

Who would want to live in a country where its leader could just name the identity of a whistleblower and invite retaliation against him? Despicable, unAmerican, and @MittRomney your country (and your Party) needs you now. https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1210786090447073282

4. Trump has never been able to come up with a coherent story for why the aid to Ukraine was suspended. I don’t have space to detail all of that here, but my book with
@SammyKoppelman goes through all his shifting explanations in detail.

What Trump Is Hiding From the Impeachment Hearings

The president’s efforts to prevent the House from doing its job are just as worrisome as the Ukraine scandal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/12/o....co/7gbWvGoDhN

5. Now, why should any of those pesky facts matter to a Senate, particularly one controlled by Mitch McConnell who has publicly pledged to move in lockstep with the White House and acquit the President? #CanIGetAWitnessMitch ?

6. First, because even McConnell has no appreciation for our system of law, others do. His statements blatantly violate his Oath, which requires him to do impartial justice. And our Constitution puts the Chief Justice in charge of the impeachment trial.

7. Chief Justice Roberts will strive to do impartial justice, even if McConnell won’t. His New Year’s Eve Statement was characteristic.

A timely message from our Chief Justice for 2020: “We should reflect on our duty to judge without fear or favor, deciding each matter with humility, integrity and dispatch. ... 1/2

8. Second, the case for blocking the witnesses is a really hard one. McConnell looks like he’s protecting a guilty man with something to hide. This weekend’s revelations in the @nytimes make McConnell’s position increasingly untenable.

Susan Collins said that she is “open to witnesses” in Trump's impeachment trial and criticized Mitch McConnell for working closely with the White House.

9. Third, Dems are giving Trump what he wanted. During House proceedings, Trump said he wanted witnesses to testify, just in Senate not the House. Dems have called him on it. Bait&switch now? Trump is acting even more like a guilty man b/c he is afraid.

10. It is no surprise @lisamurkowski raised concerns about McConnell & @SenatorCollins announced she is open to witnesses. I expect pressure to build. @MittRomney will be critical. Ultimately, I can see a resolution leaving these questions to CJ Roberts.

11. Trump’s actions, which look, smell, and sound like that of a guilty man are just the start. He is becoming increasingly erratic, stumbling into lawbreaking like revealing the whistleblower identity and the like.

12. And that is why you see Trump’s support cracking in quarter after quarter. Christianity Today. Influential conservatives like @RameshPonnuru

13. Apart from witnesses, longstanding Senate impeachment rules say that the President is summoned to appear in the Senate when impeached. Trump should testify. If he thinks he did nothing wrong, #SayItUnderOath. That’s what innocent people do, day in and day out.

14. I have never felt the case for impeachment is political, it’s based on the rule of law. Whether it hurts Dems or helps Republicans is beside the point. It’s our duty. People like me just want process – a real trial where both sides make their case.

15. And the thing that gets me the most, is that Trump is behaving like a guilty man. If this were such an easy case, as he claims, he should do what every other American does – face justice and tell his story. The fact that he is afraid to do that speaks volumes.

16. Trump is afraid of the truth. And he is afraid of you and me knowing the truth. There is hope that our Senate will see that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/neal_katy...51329995493376

Old 01-01-2020, 04:41 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why go any further? Because you're mad?

When you've done nothing wrong, why cooperate?

Are you saying guilty until proven innocent?

I'm sorry, what does IM-POTUS mean?

To the rest, did not have to.

Nothing to defend. Being mad (you and your ilk), does not mean you need a defense. You and your ilk need to provide something to defend....what are your charges?
These are the charges:

READ: Articles Of Impeachment Against President Trump

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/10/78657...resident-trump

Old 01-01-2020, 04:50 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
They are witnesses to him doing as they did. They have not been impeached trump has. Mitch doesn't care about evidence. Just because they want to impeach doesn't mean they don't want evidence; you said that. You are making up AND TWISTING FACTS. You have to have evidence to impeach.

There is no matter that some wanted to impeach from the git-go. They are freshman nobodies.

The Senate is supposed to hold an impartial trial. We all know they won't because mitch says they won't.
I've filtered thru this thread, listening to Trump's supporters declaring innocence of their beloved appointed Leader, yet unable to defend accusations by witnesses and proven cases of obstruction and Abuse of Power! JUST BECAUSE they cannot point to evidence of innocence doesn't MATTER!!

What I can't figure out is why nobody has pointed out Justice Robert's statements made Dec.31/19 that basically is calling out False News being spread throughout and endangering America as written and codified in the Constitution??

Here's a few links that pretty well tells it~~ and backs up the notion that it's quite possible that HE could have a pivotal ROLE in the Impeachment Senate Trial!!

Most Trumper's declare that McConnell ( Moscow Mitch) holds TOTAL control.. unless presiding GOP Senators ( only 4 needed) to allow Justice Roberts to disallow certain wintess's or deny certain motions etc..

https://www.serialpressit.com/2020/0...-of-fake-news/

snip~

Quote:
Chief Justice Roberts year-end report, warns about dangers of fake news.

Chief Justice John Roberts — who’s on the verge of an extraordinarily high-profile balancing act presiding over the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump — issued a warning on Tuesday about the dangers of misinformation in the internet era.

“In our age, when social media can instantly spread rumor and false information on a grand scale, the public’s need to understand our government, and the protections it provides, is ever more vital,” Roberts declared in his annual New Year’s Eve message summing up the work of the federal judiciary.

Roberts was not explicit about whether his call for increased civics education was intended as a rebuke of Trump, although some quickly read it that way. Trump has been widely criticized for repeating false information released online and for retweeting messages posted by conspiracy theorists and racists.
https://www.devdiscourse.com/article...r-trumps-trial

snip~

Quote:
If it is a close call, Roberts could cast the deciding vote. In the Senate trial set to take place in January, Roberts' role as presiding officer is limited mainly to keeping the process on track. Roberts could, however, be asked to rule on whether certain witnesses should be called.
If a majority of senators disagree with a ruling he makes, they can vote to overturn his decision. In the Clinton impeachment trial in 1999, Chief Justice William Rehnquist had "relatively little to do," said Neil Richards, who was present as one of Rehnquist's law clerks and is now a professor at the Washington University School of Law in St. Louis.
Guess, with Christmas break and GOP Senators getting input from home~~ and evidence continues to become known that exposes Complicity by WH and Appointed/Acting heads of Departments that were involved with Trump's Abuse of Power.. Just may push half dozen or more to support Justice Robert's rulings!

Those that want full disclosure of blocked people by Trump + his WH Legal team declaring "Immunity" NOT "Executive Privilege " hasn't worked in the courts so far.. and doubts will when Justice Robert's presides Either!!

Old 01-01-2020, 05:19 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,171,947 times
@ChiGeekGuest -- thanks for sharing Neal Katyal's tweet. That was a good read.

@Lyndarn -- as I wrote eleswhere, Justice Roberts is the wild card. On paper he has little power because the Senate can overrule him with a majority vote. But I don't think McConnell will want to overrule, so Roberts may have some influence on key decisions. I'm not optimistic though.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:02 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Neither did a few of the house dems....not sure your point? Unless you are saying, it's all good because of known people who don't care about evidence?

Yes I did, and your excuse below also says you don't care.....

We know of 2 that did not care about evidence.

Did they have a vote in this impeachment or not? It's a simple question.

As the house, yet in your statement above, you don't care because they are"freshman nobodies."
You seem to be "barking up the wrong tree" dude.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
From Neal Katyal on twitter:

THREAD ON IMPEACHMENT AND REMOVAL IN THE NEW YEAR. The conventional wisdom is that the Republicans in the Senate will rush to acquit Trump. I outline here why I think that overstates the case, and that the process has any number of variables in which things may change.

1. Trump wants you to believe that the outcome is preordained. But it’s not. Particularly when he acts the way he does.

In short, he acts like a guilty man.

2. First, the facts. Trump has done something no one has done, not even Nixon. Categorically blocked all witnesses&documents in impeachment. That’s how a guilty man behaves. Nixon’s support looked strong through the start of impeachment, but it crumbled.

3. Trump has outed the whistleblower by name. Is that how an innocent man behaves?

Who would want to live in a country where its leader could just name the identity of a whistleblower and invite retaliation against him? Despicable, unAmerican, and @MittRomney your country (and your Party) needs you now. https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1210786090447073282

4. Trump has never been able to come up with a coherent story for why the aid to Ukraine was suspended. I don’t have space to detail all of that here, but my book with
@SammyKoppelman goes through all his shifting explanations in detail.

What Trump Is Hiding From the Impeachment Hearings

The president’s efforts to prevent the House from doing its job are just as worrisome as the Ukraine scandal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/12/o....co/7gbWvGoDhN

5. Now, why should any of those pesky facts matter to a Senate, particularly one controlled by Mitch McConnell who has publicly pledged to move in lockstep with the White House and acquit the President? #CanIGetAWitnessMitch ?

6. First, because even McConnell has no appreciation for our system of law, others do. His statements blatantly violate his Oath, which requires him to do impartial justice. And our Constitution puts the Chief Justice in charge of the impeachment trial.

7. Chief Justice Roberts will strive to do impartial justice, even if McConnell won’t. His New Year’s Eve Statement was characteristic.

A timely message from our Chief Justice for 2020: “We should reflect on our duty to judge without fear or favor, deciding each matter with humility, integrity and dispatch. ... 1/2

8. Second, the case for blocking the witnesses is a really hard one. McConnell looks like he’s protecting a guilty man with something to hide. This weekend’s revelations in the @nytimes make McConnell’s position increasingly untenable.

Susan Collins said that she is “open to witnesses” in Trump's impeachment trial and criticized Mitch McConnell for working closely with the White House.

9. Third, Dems are giving Trump what he wanted. During House proceedings, Trump said he wanted witnesses to testify, just in Senate not the House. Dems have called him on it. Bait&switch now? Trump is acting even more like a guilty man b/c he is afraid.

10. It is no surprise @lisamurkowski raised concerns about McConnell & @SenatorCollins announced she is open to witnesses. I expect pressure to build. @MittRomney will be critical. Ultimately, I can see a resolution leaving these questions to CJ Roberts.

11. Trump’s actions, which look, smell, and sound like that of a guilty man are just the start. He is becoming increasingly erratic, stumbling into lawbreaking like revealing the whistleblower identity and the like.

12. And that is why you see Trump’s support cracking in quarter after quarter. Christianity Today. Influential conservatives like @RameshPonnuru

13. Apart from witnesses, longstanding Senate impeachment rules say that the President is summoned to appear in the Senate when impeached. Trump should testify. If he thinks he did nothing wrong, #SayItUnderOath. That’s what innocent people do, day in and day out.

14. I have never felt the case for impeachment is political, it’s based on the rule of law. Whether it hurts Dems or helps Republicans is beside the point. It’s our duty. People like me just want process – a real trial where both sides make their case.

15. And the thing that gets me the most, is that Trump is behaving like a guilty man. If this were such an easy case, as he claims, he should do what every other American does – face justice and tell his story. The fact that he is afraid to do that speaks volumes.

16. Trump is afraid of the truth. And he is afraid of you and me knowing the truth. There is hope that our Senate will see that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/neal_katy...51329995493376

So you cannot speak for yourself and have to have others speak for you....

If you'd like to prove me wrong, answer each questions above, with an honest answer.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You seem to be "barking up the wrong tree" dude.

You've failed dude.

Just as pelosi failed by not delivering the articles prior to going on Christmas break....

And let me remind you, the house impeachment was due to NATIONAL SECURITY.....

So please, if you can prove me wrong, until then, I've barked up your tree and you're mad...

Next.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
You've failed dude.

Just as pelosi failed by not delivering the articles prior to going on Christmas break....

And let me remind you, the house impeachment was due to NATIONAL SECURITY.....

So please, if you can prove me wrong, until then, I've barked up your tree and you're mad...

Next.
Trump is impeached and more Senate Republicans are beginning to believe there should be witnesses subpoenaed for the Senate trial. Oh Yeah!

It is what you want and what the country wants.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Trump is impeached and more Senate Republicans are beginning to believe there should be witnesses subpoenaed for the Senate trial. Oh Yeah!

Yes he is......lets see if pelosi sends the articles to the senate.

What senate republicans are you talking about?

Is there a difference of what can happen between house witnesses and senate witnesses?

Think about what I just asked you...really.

Quote:
It is what you want and what the country wants.

LOL....sure, as long as you only questions dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies