Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 12:40 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Fine. Abortion kills babies.

So do guns.

Sometimes there are problems for which there is no perfect solution, and lives will be lost.

Preserving the right to own a weapon means some people will use those weapons to kill other people, even children, even babies.

Preserving the right to keep your body and your reproductive system free from control of the government means that some people will abort their babies and those babies will die.

You want to save those babies? Advocate for accurate sex education (you know, SCIENCE!), and cheap and easy access to birth control. Advocate for social programs that support women who want to keep their babiest but struggle economically. Advocate for cheaper adoptions. Advocate for anything that actually reduces the number of unwanted pregnancies and unwanted births.

Because get this through your head: You will not stop abortions by making them illegal. You may make it harder, and you may make it more dangerous, but you will NEVER NEVER NEVER create a world in which no woman ever aborts a pregnancy. Women who don't want to give birth will find a way, as they have since the beginning of time.

So either you want to actually solve the problem you claim to care so much about or you just want to impose your religious beliefs on everyone else and I'm quite confident which it is.
I'm not religious.

We have biology and sex education in schools. DONE
Cheap/easy access to BC. DONE (you can buy condoms ANYWHERE)
Social programs. DONE (Medicaid [50% of all births are billed to Medicaid], Welfare, SNAP, WIC, fill-in-the-blank social programs + food pantries everywhere)
Cheaper adoptions. I agree 100%

Again. I'm not religious.

Are you advocating people shoot their children in your post? Because that is EXACTLY how it reads.

Since men have raped and "will always rape," do you throw your hands and say, meh, it's just rape, no big deal? This 'historically it's always happened so it's OK to keep happening" argument is pure and utter b-llsh-t.

Got anything, anything else at all? Nope. Didn't think so.

Oh .. and I'm not religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 12:52 PM

1,768 posts, read 568,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm not religious.

We have biology and sex education in schools. DONE
Cheap/easy access to BC. DONE (you can buy condoms ANYWHERE)
Social programs. DONE (Medicaid [50% of all births are billed to Medicaid], Welfare, SNAP, WIC, fill-in-the-blank social programs + food pantries everywhere)
Cheaper adoptions. I agree 100%

Again. I'm not religious.

Are you advocating people shoot their children in your post? Because that is EXACTLY how it reads.

Since men have raped and "will always rape," do you throw your hands and say, meh, it's just rape, no big deal? This 'historically it's always happened so it's OK to keep happening" argument is pure and utter b-llsh-t.

Got anything, anything else at all? Nope. Didn't think so.

Oh .. and I'm not religious.

You are being deliberately obtuse.

The proper analogy isn't "Since men have raped and will always rape we should throw up our hands and do nothing." It's "Since men have raped and will always rape, should we cut off their penises?" And of course the answer is no. We should continue to try to prevent rape, just as we should continue to try to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Again. You will never, never, never create a world in which no abortion happens ever. Strike down Roe V. Wade and it goes to the states. Somehow convince every state to make abortion illegal and women will self-abort. Or they'll just kill themselves (which would also kill the BABY but hey, it wasn't a horrible, evil abortion!)

If you're not religious then you just want every single woman on the planet to give birth whether she wants to or not because...you say so?

Old 02-21-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
You are being deliberately obtuse.

The proper analogy isn't "Since men have raped and will always rape we should throw up our hands and do nothing." It's "Since men have raped and will always rape, should we cut off their penises?" And of course the answer is no. We should continue to try to prevent rape, just as we should continue to try to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Again. You will never, never, never create a world in which no abortion happens ever. Strike down Roe V. Wade and it goes to the states. Somehow convince every state to make abortion illegal and women will self-abort. Or they'll just kill themselves (which would also kill the BABY but hey, it wasn't a horrible, evil abortion!)

If you're not religious then you just want every single woman on the planet to give birth whether she wants to or not because...you say so?
Nope. Keep the parallel structure.

Since women have always had abortions they should continue to always have abortions equals:
Since men have always raped they should continue to always rape.

You support that, right???

Not because I say so. Because KILLING someone else just because you feel like it is WRONG. Unless you think killing innocent people is cool, then I guess you don't agree with me. You apparently advocate for shooting children in your other post ... so maybe you do think it's cool. Dunno. That's on you.

Newsflash: Plenty of secular pro life groups in this world. Amazing how much pro abortion people do NOT know. Wonder where they get all their information?

Old 02-21-2020, 12:59 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,711,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do you agree historically and even currently that the medical profession has dismissed and downplayed women's health issues?

Sorry if I was confusing. I was not referring to the CPC as as the medical profession, just that in addition to the medical professions historical attitude towards women's reproductive health we still have organizations like the CPC misinforming women about their healthcare for their own agenda and disregarding their actual health care concerns.
oops... although improving, I do agree that historically women's health issues have been neglected.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:12 PM

1,768 posts, read 568,288 times
Quote:
Nope. Keep the parallel structure.

Since women have always had abortions they should continue to always have abortions equals:
Since men have always raped they should continue to always rape.

You support that, right???

Not because I say so. Because KILLING someone else just because you feel like it is WRONG. Unless you think killing innocent people is cool, then I guess you don't agree with me. You apparently advocate for shooting children in your other post ... so maybe you do think it's cool. Dunno. That's on you.

Newsflash: Plenty of secular pro life groups in this world. Amazing how much pro abortion people do NOT know. Wonder where they get all their information?
Sigh.

I'm well aware that you are incapable of reason and aren't going to change your mind, so I'm responding for the benefit of anyone else in this thread.

I did not say that since women have always had abortions they should continue to have them. If that is what you understood me to say, you are mistaken. But we both know that you don't really think that's what I said.

And yes, I realize you are going to conclude that you have "won" that you have triumphed over me, an internet stranger, because I'm walking away from what you have devolved into a ludicrous argument.

To be fair, we have tangled in the past. I assumed you were religious because I swear I've read posts of yours saying you were Catholic. In fact, I know I have because I irrationally accused you of opposing abortion so priests would have more children to molest just as you have irrationally accused me of supporting rape and shooting children.

Abortion debates bring out the worst in people, including me.

But here is what remains true.

Making abortion illegal isn't going to stop it from happening. And in your (and here I mean the collective "your" of the entire antiabortion lobby), in your efforts to make it illegal, you are going to create a whole lot of suffering. Women who emphatically do not want to have children are the last people who should be forced to give birth to them.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Sigh.

I'm well aware that you are incapable of reason and aren't going to change your mind, so I'm responding for the benefit of anyone else in this thread.

I did not say that since women have always had abortions they should continue to have them. If that is what you understood me to say, you are mistaken. But we both know that you don't really think that's what I said.

And yes, I realize you are going to conclude that you have "won" that you have triumphed over me, an internet stranger, because I'm walking away from what you have devolved into a ludicrous argument.

To be fair, we have tangled in the past. I assumed you were religious because I swear I've read posts of yours saying you were Catholic. In fact, I know I have because I irrationally accused you of opposing abortion so priests would have more children to molest just as you have irrationally accused me of supporting rape and shooting children.

Abortion debates bring out the worst in people, including me.

But here is what remains true.

Making abortion illegal isn't going to stop it from happening. And in your (and here I mean the collective "your" of the entire antiabortion lobby), in your efforts to make it illegal, you are going to create a whole lot of suffering. Women who emphatically do not want to have children are the last people who should be forced to give birth to them.
I have never heard of you so have no clue when we have "tangled in the past." And I don't keep score. That's immature and pointless.

There are MORE pro-life women in this country than pro choice. Let that sink in. Abortion is WRONG. It is killing someone because you feel like it. No one is forcing women to be pregnant. If you don't want to be pregnant, there are many, many, many ways to avoid it. Millions and millions and millions of women avoid getting pregnant every day. And if you are pregnant, you have more than 1 option: Motherhood or adoption.

You want reasonable? Sure. Explain how killing someone because you feel like it is the RIGHT thing to do.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:39 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Women's birth control requires a doctor's prescription.

What you buy at 7-11 fails way too often to be considered birth control. But it might save you from a nasty disease.
When used consistently and correctly, the failure rate of condoms is 3%...

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/ask_...article_em.htm

Only sterilization and IUDs are more effective than consistent and correct use of a condom...

https://americanpregnancy.org/preven...ntrol-failure/

Old 02-21-2020, 01:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
here are MORE pro-life women in this country than pro choice. Let that sink in. Abortion is WRONG. It is killing someone because you feel like it. No one is forcing women to be pregnant. If you don't want to be pregnant, there are many, many, many ways to avoid it. Millions and millions and millions of women avoid getting pregnant every day. And if you are pregnant, you have more than 1 option: Motherhood or adoption.

You want reasonable? Sure. Explain how killing someone because you feel like it is the RIGHT thing to do.
Once again, you're wrong. I don't know to what extent you mean by being pro-life, but most women don't want all abortion banned. The majority would agree abortion on demand is okay up to the 12th month or for reasons related to rape and incest.

Your points are best addressed to pregnant women considering abortion. But once again, a woman's sex life and reproductive choices are none of your business, unless she wants you involved to make it your business.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:55 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
When used consistently and correctly, the failure rate of condoms is 3%...

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/ask_...article_em.htm

Only sterilization and IUDs are more effective than consistent and correct use of a condom...

https://americanpregnancy.org/preven...ntrol-failure/
Therein lies the problem.
And who uses the condom.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Once again, you're wrong. I don't know to what extent you mean by being pro-life, but most women don't want all abortion banned. The majority would agree abortion on demand is okay up to the 12th month or for reasons related to rape and incest.

Your points are best addressed to pregnant women considering abortion. But once again, a woman's sex life and reproductive choices are none of your business, unless she wants you involved to make it your business.
Well, no. Majority are pro life. I do understand why you don't believe it, because you don't WANT to believe it and PP and Women's March have you convinced that all women want babies in the womb dead no matter what.

A woman can have sex with 100 guys at once. It's HER LIFE. Once she's pregnant, she doesn't;t get to kill her child.

But once again, you fail to address the main point:

Explain why killing someone innocent is the right thing to do.

Look forward to your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies