Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 03:35 PM

15,630 posts, read 10,383,806 times

Advertisements

My doctor and dentist are both mothers and employed part-time. one works 4 hours only each day. the other works 3 days a week. they are both under 40 years old. I like them, but it doesn't make sense to enroll female students in medical schools with limited slots when many choose to work part-time compared to male doctors.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-20-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 04:15 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Would you like to explain how the fed government restricts the supply of doctors, etc.?
Licensing, permits and approvals.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:18 PM

31,016 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Socialize it even more.

Let's all go down with this diseased sinking ship. It's our collective destiny.

Don't worry, Bernie will save us

Old 02-20-2020, 04:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The whole health care system is going to fall apart by 2030 anyway. It will be a third-world quality health care system regardless for a majority, so might as well have low taxes rather than a tax-payer scheme that socializes the costs.

A high majority of new doctors are females and based on past patters many will be part-timers only. All this while morbid obesity skyrockets to 24% for all Americans and 70 million are senior-citizens and many boomers will be in their 80s by then and need extremely intensive health care services on a daily basis.

A majority of those in medical school are women and 31% of female physicians with children work part-time compared to 5% of men.

So basically many of new doctors will be only part-timers to care for their children.

All this while, morbid obesity is suppose to skyrocket to 24% based on current models. With rates of 27% for women and 32% for lower-income Americans by 2030.

All this while there are 70 million plus Americans over 65.

There has also been a rapid rise in overdoses, alcoholism and other ailments.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1909301

https://www.aarp.org/livable-communi...d-figures.html

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/p...pplicants-2018

https://www.city-journal.org/part-ti...-professionals

The only reason we have crappy health care is because the government helps to create monopolies in every area from pharmaceutical companies to health insurance to hospitals and doctors through licensing, regulations, approvals and outright prohibition.

It’s time to give the government more power to create more monopolies!

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-20-2020 at 05:15 PM..

Old 02-20-2020, 05:40 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
While there is always the possibility that technology and research can find a way out of this, I am not optimistic. The best way to improve health outcomes is to lose weight, and technology can't help much with that. People are just lazy.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:12 PM

45,210 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
While there is always the possibility that technology and research can find a way out of this, I am not optimistic. The best way to improve health outcomes is to lose weight, and technology can't help much with that. People are just lazy.
Yes do whatever you can to avoid doctors and the medical industrial complex.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Medical errors are only the third leading cause of death in the country. But don't worry, they'll still bill your next of kin afterwards.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medi...n-america.html

Old 02-20-2020, 06:37 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Medical errors are only the third leading cause of death in the country. But don't worry, they'll still bill your next of kin afterwards.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medi...n-america.html
If you think this is a reason to avoid doctors, you haven’t really thought it through.

Let’s take the little girl in your article. If she had avoided the doctors, she would have been dead anyway. It is just that Cancer would be the cause of her death instead of medical errors.

Remove the “medical industrial complex” completely, and the death from medical errors goes down to zero, which is great. But the death from all other causes will skyrocket to the point where the current rate of medical error related deaths, will seem minuscule in comparison.

As far as the OP goes, thankfully, I was planning on retiring from medicine in 2030. I happily work 80+ hours a week, so I guess they will have to find a few of those part timers to replace me.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:49 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There was a time when doctors could finish all of their education in 6 years. I know a doctor who retired about 3 years ago, and that's how he went through medical school. They should reintroduce these types of programs. They will likely just bring doctors from 3rd world countries though, because it's better than allowing the entire system to collapse.
My doctor is from South America and my dentist from Vietnam. I couldn’t be happier.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If you think this is a reason to avoid doctors, you haven’t really thought it through.

Let’s take the little girl in your article. If she had avoided the doctors, she would have been dead anyway. It is just that Cancer would be the cause of her death instead of medical errors.

Remove the “medical industrial complex” completely, and the death from medical errors goes down to zero, which is great. But the death from all other causes will skyrocket to the point where the current rate of medical error related deaths, will seem minuscule in comparison.

As far as the OP goes, thankfully, I was planning on retiring from medicine in 2030. I happily work 80+ hours a week, so I guess they will have to find a few of those part timers to replace me.
I don't avoid doctors per se.

I avoid blindly entangling myself in the complex. As I've noted numerous times on this board if you have Google and a modicum amount of intelligence you can successfully navigate your medical journey if maladies should arise.

I know plenty of people who simply go, blindly follow, digest poison (prescription drugs), and never take on the self-advocate role so vital to the health of an individual as well as the relationship between that person and their doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies