Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 11:33 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Huh?

My healthcare?

It would be your healthcare as well (for all).
People with money and insurance don’t need you to pay for their healthcare.

What you want to do is to enslave others to pay for your healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 11:39 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
"The poll, conducted by Hill.TV and the HarrisX polling company, found that 42 percent of respondents said they "strongly" supported the proposal, while 28 percent said they "somewhat" supported it. "

I'm wondering once the 28 % that "somewhat " support it, see what it might end up costing them they will change their minds.

Hell, I'm even in the somewhat support it camp, who doesn't want free healthcare...except what is the real cost going to be ? Then I will make my decision. There is no way to realistically figure this out, it is all just a guessing game.

From all the numbers I've seen, it will cost a friend of ours, whom happens to employ my wife and 3 others roughly $250k more a year between the M4All and tax increases. He said at that point, he will just retire. So, yeah, losing a six figure salary for free health care doesn't quite work out for us.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:43 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This business owner always supports paying our way.

To note that many business owners are selfish and would rather pocket money than spend it on sustainable care for human beings (including their own employees and families) is not exactly rocket science.

I know many very wealthy people who won't part with a dime of their own money if Medicare doesn't cover things.

Our system is set up to reward maximum selfishness, whereas it should work somewhat the other way around. Greed isn't good when it comes to public policy.

In the end any smart long term business owners (or citizen) would rather spend 8K per year and cover everyone than 12K per year (per person) and have trillion dollar deficits and 30 million uninsured with many more underinsured.

It's just plain common sense - which is apparently uncommon in the USA these days.
Yeah, my wife's selfish employer doesn't offer any health care. Instead she gets random $100 bills, and $50 gas cards. Probably $300 or so a month. Not to mention her slightly under six figure salary. I'm contract , so no help from my employer either. We pay $675 a month for private insurance.
We are perfectly happy with this set up. Sure, free would be great, but not at more expense.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The government needs to ease the restrictions on practicing medicine to allow NPs, PAs and others to diagnose and treat simple and common conditions.
NP’s and PA’s diagnose and treat simple and common conditions, right now.

The scope of PA and NP practice is a STATE issue. Laws vary by state in terms of level of autonomy and clinical authority.

Like MDs, PAs and NP’s increasingly specialize, Primary Care, Urgent Care, Emergency Care, Oncology, Dermatology, Ob/ Gyn etc.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
This is why Medicare for all is supported by 70% of the American people.
Well, 70% of the 2,989 people surveyed.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...dicare-for-all

People tend to defend polls when outcomes seem to validate their own perceptions and dismiss them, when they don’t.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:24 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
NP’s and PA’s diagnose and treat simple and common conditions, right now.

The scope of PA and NP practice is a STATE issue. Laws vary by state in terms of level of autonomy and clinical authority.

Like MDs, PAs and NP’s increasingly specialize, Primary Care, Urgent Care, Emergency Care, Oncology, Dermatology, Ob/ Gyn etc.
It’s very different based on state. State governments should ease these restrictions.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
"The poll, conducted by Hill.TV and the HarrisX polling company, found that 42 percent of respondents said they "strongly" supported the proposal, while 28 percent said they "somewhat" supported it. "

I'm wondering once the 28 % that "somewhat " support it, see what it might end up costing them they will change their minds.

Hell, I'm even in the somewhat support it camp, who doesn't want free healthcare...except what is the real cost going to be ? Then I will make my decision. There is no way to realistically figure this out, it is all just a guessing game.

From all the numbers I've seen, it will cost a friend of ours, whom happens to employ my wife and 3 others roughly $250k more a year between the M4All and tax increases. He said at that point, he will just retire. So, yeah, losing a six figure salary for free health care doesn't quite work out for us.
Polling 2,989 people about a concept as complicated as M4A, is not meaningful.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What if we don’t have any licensing, permits or regulations? How many more people would enter healthcare? How much cheaper and available healthcare would be? How many lives would it save, particularly for the poor?

Why do I need the government’s permission to treat someone, open an insurance company, decide what to insure, buy and sell medicines, try new medicines, decide when to continue or terminate treatment?

Why? Are we slaves or are we free people?
Are you going to allow me to perform open heart surgery on you?

I practiced on my dolls.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:32 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Polling 2,989 people about a concept as complicated as M4A, is not meaningful.
neither is centrally planning a health care payment system for over 300 million people

Old 02-21-2020, 01:00 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Well, 70% of the 2,989 people surveyed.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...dicare-for-all

People tend to defend polls when outcomes seem to validate their own perceptions and dismiss them, when they don’t.
Almost 50% pay no net federal income taxes. So there's 50% of your 70% who want it. They're already living in the U.S. at a reduced tax rate (they still pay payroll taxes, sales tax, ect.).

So, that leaves the remaining 20% that also want free stuff (M4all). Most of these are contributing $'s from their paychecks for their healthcare. They want that payroll deduction to end, and have the 30% above them pay for it.

So, there's your 70%. Those evil top 30% OWE it to us!

This all sounds so good when you are in the bottom 70%, but it's bad when you are in the top 30%, and saved harder, worked longer, & took greater risks, to get into the top 30%.

What free stuff ignores, are employers who close their business because the load of carrying 70% of America on their backs was no longer worth it...like me. I'm debt free, & never need to work again, so I just shut it down, and people lost their jobs. I didn't even bother trying to sell it.

Or, larger employers who downsize, & automate to eliminate employees to offset higher taxes that pay for the "free stuff".

In the end, the bottom 70% pays for it too, just in other ways. It winds up hurting them more too as evidenced by the growing wealth/wage gaps. The more free stuff, the greater these gaps.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 02-21-2020 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies