Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 01:03 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
People with money and insurance don’t need you to pay for their healthcare.

What you want to do is to enslave others to pay for your healthcare.

This was well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 01:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yeah, my wife's selfish employer doesn't offer any health care. Instead she gets random $100 bills, and $50 gas cards. Probably $300 or so a month. Not to mention her slightly under six figure salary. I'm contract , so no help from my employer either. We pay $675 a month for private insurance.
We are perfectly happy with this set up. Sure, free would be great, but not at more expense.
You are making the point perfectly.

Two of you = 24K per year in health costs. You are paying well less than 1/2 of that......do you know where the rest comes from? Yep, from debt and deficit.

Sure, on an individual level it is hidden from you. As I said, if you really had to pay your way you would likely revolt. So the stuff all gets subsidized and the debt ends up in the states and mostly Fed...debt and deficit.

So while you enjoy those gas cards, salary and benefits...you (and I and most everyone else) are indenting our kids and grandkids.

Then we scratch our heads and wonder why there is more and more inequality in terms of pieces of the Pie.

As I mentioned it'a a perfect system in that it hides the REAL COST of health care from most everyone, while an extra trillion is spent and ends up enriching corporations AND adding to the debt and deficit.

You like your welfare. I get it. But if you (assuming only two in the family) were paying 2K per month would you like it as much?

Old 02-21-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Polling 2,989 people about a concept as complicated as M4A, is not meaningful.
You'd have to sit each family down, educate them for a couple hours (at least) as to the issues...and then have them take a three page multiple choice test....from which you may get some inkling of what is going on.

My take is that most would go for a Danish or French type of a system. But we won't do it - too much money involved. To quote Churchill "Americans will always do the right thing, AFTER all other possibilities have been exhausted".

I feel bad on this issue since so many are suffering (and dead) due to it...

Old 02-21-2020, 01:10 PM

29,507 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You are making the point perfectly.

Two of you = 24K per year in health costs. You are paying well less than 1/2 of that......do you know where the rest comes from? Yep, from debt and deficit.

Sure, on an individual level it is hidden from you. As I said, if you really had to pay your way you would likely revolt. So the stuff all gets subsidized and the debt ends up in the states and mostly Fed...debt and deficit.

So while you enjoy those gas cards, salary and benefits...you (and I and most everyone else) are indenting our kids and grandkids.

Then we scratch our heads and wonder why there is more and more inequality in terms of pieces of the Pie.

As I mentioned it'a a perfect system in that it hides the REAL COST of health care from most everyone, while an extra trillion is spent and ends up enriching corporations AND adding to the debt and deficit.

You like your welfare. I get it. But if you (assuming only two in the family) were paying 2K per month would you like it as much?
Blame the system not us. We pay our bills. We pay our taxes. That is pretty much all we can do.

Is our system flawed ? Absolutely. Getting the government more involved , is not the way to fix it.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:18 PM

25,760 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Quote:
Blame the system not us. We pay our bills. We pay our taxes. That is pretty much all we can do.

Is our system flawed ? Absolutely. Getting the government more involved , is not the way to fix it.
Bravo! Government meddling and greed is how we got here. They all decided to bribe big pharma, hospitals, medical manufacturers, insurance company's, ect.. So, they bribed them, got rich, and got re-elected while we all got shafted. Bernie's right in this regard.

The more you get government out of any business, the more efficient it is. That means lower cost, higher quality service, and faster service. Sure, some regulation is needed, but its gone 1000 times too far.

Look to Singapore and Peru for best practices, not Europe.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:34 PM

29,507 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Bravo! Government meddling and greed is how we got here. They all decided to bribe big pharma, hospitals, medical manufacturers, insurance company's, ect.. So, they bribed them, got rich, and got re-elected while we all got shafted. Bernie's right in this regard.

The more you get government out of any business, the more efficient it is. That means lower cost, higher quality service, and faster service. Sure, some regulation is needed, but its gone 1000 times too far.

Look to Singapore and Peru for best practices, not Europe.
I would never vote for him, but I agree with you on this.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I understand fully - and kudos for admitting it.

You like your welfare and the system pushes us all to like it.

As to the Fix, I promise you that Corporations like Rick Scott (he is a corporation in human form) are NOT going to fix the system. In fact, they will rig it more and more so our kids and future generations pay more later...and they get more now.

It's a perfect scheme. Sorta like Blood Diamonds and many other things...what we don't see and don't know we can pretend is not happening.

What is very sad is that even saving up a million or two doesn't guarantee any of us a decent ride in our older years. And, of course, it's literally impossible for everyone (or even 50% of people) to have millions in net worth.

So we will all be at the mercy of the system....

Like you, I DO blame the system. But we, as citizens, should be smart enough to eventually look and see that the system is destroying the very foundation of our economy and population. With one hand we may own a health care equity that "makes" a lot of money, with the other we use health care from said corporation which is sold at double the going rate.

I also do blame the folks who vote for the continuation of the system - or against reforming the system. They are implicated...sure as shooting.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Are you going to allow me to perform open heart surgery on you?

I practiced on my dolls.
What a ridiculous question!!!

You wouldn’t buy a roll of toilet paper without reading the reviews, but somehow you just get someone off the street to perform open hear surgery????

Old 02-21-2020, 02:35 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You'd have to sit each family down, educate them for a couple hours (at least) as to the issues...and then have them take a three page multiple choice test....from which you may get some inkling of what is going on.

My take is that most would go for a Danish or French type of a system. But we won't do it - too much money involved. To quote Churchill "Americans will always do the right thing, AFTER all other possibilities have been exhausted".

I feel bad on this issue since so many are suffering (and dead) due to it...
A simple question like this would get you the real results:

1. Should other people be forced at gunpoint to pay for your healthcare expenses?

Please answer yes or no.

Old 02-21-2020, 02:41 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
People with money and insurance don’t need you to pay for their healthcare.

What you want to do is to enslave others to pay for your healthcare.
I have money and insurance currently, so no that's not what I want.

I want people without coverage to not have to worry about getting care.

I want people who change jobs to not have to worry about losing access to care.

I want to stop having to worry about reassessing plans every year to find out what the new limits are since all plans constantly change under the current insane system and its spiraling costs.

One simple plan for everyone that's cheaper, results in better national health, and eases tons of administrative burden in health care delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies