Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2020, 04:00 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,449 times

Advertisements

We can put a man on the moon, but we can't cure the common code!!! <bangs fist on table> blah, blah, blah

Old 03-06-2020, 04:04 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
It’s apparent in this thread, TDS is far more harmful than the Coronavirus, Lol.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:04 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Trump could do a lot to repair his image of a shallow and uncaring boob by paying a visit to the nursing home facility or one of the cruise ships affected by the virus
You think he cares about that? His fans don't. They'll vote for him anyway because they are so tired of the winning

Old 03-06-2020, 04:08 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Cruise ship 1/2 of those tested have it.

So much for it being rare among people........as ye test, so shall you find.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:08 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No, we shouldn't test everyone. Right now? I have a dry hacking cough. But that's it. I'm certainly not going ask for a test for covid19.
I agree that they shouldn't test everyone but for the health authorities it is a delicate balance because right now they are playing a game of Whack-a-mole, where they are tying to run down every chain of infection and get ahead of it before it spreads like wild fire. At some point you can no longer play whack-a-mole and just have to assume that X% of the people are carriers and stop worrying how they caught it. But right now we aren't there yet.

So how many people should be tested to get in front of the epidemic, before it reaches critical mass? If you only test those who are known to have been exposed you end up like Seattle where none of the people who died or even who are sick were known to have been exposed. So I have no idea how many you test but I think it has to be more than just those who were known to have been exposed. But I am not an epidemiologist so I don't really know.

Of course we could do as the Chinese did in Wuhan and force everyone to stay home.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
How is it that we're such a rich nation, supposedly all that and a bag of chips, when other nations like South Korea, China, and Italy have been able to test at drastically greater volume than we are?
Testing is a "feel good" measure that governments take to make people "feel good."

It costs a lot of money but doesn't really accomplish anything other than placating people, you know, like you.

The corona virus isn't even half as deadly as SARS.

More people have died from the flu than corona.

I notice people's memory spans are quite short, too.

Everyone has forgotten about SARS and the avian flu, which we were told would be the end of the world but turned out to be nothing burgers.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:13 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
How is it that we're such a rich nation, supposedly all that and a bag of chips, when other nations like South Korea, China, and Italy have been able to test at drastically greater volume than we are? And not only are we the richest, we also had the benefit of like two months of foresight into this situation. Epidemiologists and doctors are pointing out daily how we've dropped the ball on this.

Why isn't Trump's CDC appointee kicking some asses over there? Why isn't Trump? I think he realizes this is already a **** show, which is why he shoved Mike Pence into the spotlight to take the hit.

If you don't even have working capacity to test at scale, you're in the dark as to the real current scope of the problem you're trying to tackle. How can you be successful this way?

We are such a pathetic popsicle stand.
Ya-w-w-n. Get a paper bag and breath into it. America is tiring of the incessant attacks on all things Trump.

You'll have a decision to make after his reelection.

No one is listening to your side anymore.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
"Scientists can't yet say for sure what the fatality rate of the coronavirus is, because they're not certain how many people have become infected with the disease. But they do have some estimates, and there is a widespread consensus that COVID-19 is most dangerous for elderly patients and those with preexisting health burdens. "

https://www.livescience.com/is-coronavirus-deadly.html

Old 03-06-2020, 04:19 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Interesting stat: In China, the earliest cases of corona had a 17.3% fatality rate, but those that have been diagnosed since 2/1/2020 have a 0.7% fatality rate attributed to an improved standard of care.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:20 PM

1,086 posts, read 442,623 times
Why hasnt a political bash Trump thread like this been merged with the other coronavirus threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies