Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 11:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Whilst not wishing to crucify cops as you put it, the police should be more accountable as they are in other western countries.

There is a far higher bar that has to be met in terms of shooting someone in the US when compared to Europe for example.

The police can also very easily become a force of occupation rather than part of the community, and losing the support of the public through reckless behaviour means that information and cooperation generally stops.

In terms of the OP's video I thought that incident was disgusting, and outside of the US that cop would now be in a jail cell.
Hard to say for I have been in the position where it seems anyone challenged by the police reacts by saying the police are wrong and why are you hassling me?

As far as the video, have whatever opinion one's wishes. I don't watch such things for they are only from a certain POV and rarely provide the complete story.

As far as responses go, if "you" don't do what "I" say, I am going to take the fight out of you in a second. Now, in my time, it was hand to hand, not guns, but don't obey me and I will put your face into the pavement if I believe that is necessary. As the Coast Guard says, "This is not a request, it is an order. Stop your engines.".

You know, I wonder if in the rest of the world if people are little bit more compliant when they are told something by their police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 12:03 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Be careful what you wish for.....you may get it.

If you are so intent on crucifying the cops for whatever mistake they make, then you may end up with a police force that takes no action whatsoever and just comes around to take names and pictures....................

.............................assuming you find anyone at all willing to do the job.

Simply not true.
They have greater standards on police in other countries and they are able to find people.

There will always be people willing to do the job for the wages offered. Capitalism 101.

There are people in other occupations with higher dangers and deaths that also take those jobs.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Simply not true.
They have greater standards on police in other countries and they are able to find people.

There will always be people willing to do the job for the wages offered. Capitalism 101.

There are people in other occupations with higher dangers and deaths that also take those jobs.
Yes, there will always be people willing to do the job.

But if they are continually questioned about their jobs, made public enemy #1 in the popular media, then what quality of person will you get to do the job?

Who in their right mind would take a job where any decision they make is always questioned?

Old 03-08-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, there will always be people willing to do the job.

But if they are continually questioned about their jobs, made public enemy #1 in the popular media, then what quality of person will you get to do the job?

Who in their right mind would take a job where any decision they make is always questioned?
But they are not questioning all the cops, but calling out the bad ones.
We should zero in on the bad ones as tax paying citizens that pay their salaries and have them fired.

As citizens, we actually have a responsibility to do that.

Besides, you have it backwards, the media is protecting the bad ones, nothing is being done about it.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:10 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Hard to say for I have been in the position where it seems anyone challenged by the police reacts by saying the police are wrong and why are you hassling me?

As far as the video, have whatever opinion one's wishes. I don't watch such things for they are only from a certain POV and rarely provide the complete story.

As far as responses go, if "you" don't do what "I" say, I am going to take the fight out of you in a second. Now, in my time, it was hand to hand, not guns, but don't obey me and I will put your face into the pavement if I believe that is necessary. As the Coast Guard says, "This is not a request, it is an order. Stop your engines.".

You know, I wonder if in the rest of the world if people are little bit more compliant when they are told something by their police.
The OP's video shows the shooting of an unarmed man Daniel Shaver by very aggressive police officers.

Shaver was made to crawl acrss the carpet and despit being intoxicated was extremely cooperative.

The manner in which the Officers aced was disgusting and both were indeed dismissed however how Officer Brailsford received a not guilty in relation to Second Degree Murder is beyind me.

The police in parts of Europe are heavily armed but I have never ever seen officers act in the way they did in that video, and it makes you question the selection and training of officers in certain US police departments.

As for the US Coast Guard they may state this is not a request however that doesn't mean they are going to open fire on an unarmed vessel who is trying their best to comply with their orders.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
But they are not questioning all the cops, but calling out the bad ones.
We should zero in on the bad ones as tax paying citizens that pay their salaries and have them fired.

As citizens, we actually have a responsibility to do that.
In your interpretation but you are not there to what is happening.

Hence we have the situation of any cop on the street. Why should I do the job when any armchair quarterback can call the situation different and have me fired, take away my livelihood?

Spend some time in her shoes before you claim you know it all.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:23 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
As a rule, people who complain about the police want to get away with breaking the law.

We know who you are.
And people who defend every action of the police want to live in a police authoritarian state. We know who you are as well.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:25 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Don’t we ALL want a better police force? Better trained, better race relations, better respect in both sides. It seems that the more enlightened police chiefs are elected officials are working towards that goal. I love that there is now a real effort in scientifically studying police shootings and the initial findings, hopefully, will inform future policies and procedures. I don’t think the scientific community has a bias.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:25 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
I had a brother who was a cop for 30 years and know several others. They all seemed to get more arrogant with each passing year.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The OP's video shows the shooting of an unarmed man Daniel Shaver by very aggressive police officers.

Shaver was made to crawl acrss the carpet and despit being intoxicated was extremely cooperative.

The manner in which the Officers aced was disgusting and both were indeed dismissed however how Officer Brailsford received a not guilty in relation to Second Degree Murder is beyind me.

The police in parts of Europe are heavily armed but I have never ever seen officers act in the way they did in that video, and it makes you question the selection and training of officers in certain US police departments.

As for the US Coast Guard they may state this is not a request however that doesn't mean they are going to open fire on an unarmed vessel who is trying their best to comply with their orders.
While the Conservatives rail against Communism on the left, they support certain parts of Communism as well. They support an authoritarian Communist Style police state that crushes its boots into its citizens faces. I have heard many say criminals should just be given a bullet to the head Chinese Style.

They also support propping up the financial markets by the government.

Many Conservatives have also supported forced work camps for the homeless, straight out of Communist Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies