Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 08:49 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
The issue is the market does not have confidence in how the President handles this outbreak. So far the market is correct.
Lol you guys are funny sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
I wake up and the Dow has dropped 2,000 points. Yoikes. Well that certainly wiped out my sleepiness from the time change. Hopefully it will stabilize at some point.

3,500 posts, read 2,789,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Do you honestly, seriously, believe this, or do you have a particularly virulent strain of TDS? The market was doing quite well, and has been ever since Trump took office. The fact that it's hurting now is not because Trump's policies backfired, or that he lied about something. It's because we're being afflicted by an unforeseen external disaster.

Do you think that the market would be doing any better, right now, if Hillary Clinton were president right now? Or if the coronavirus had happened during Obama's presidency?
If things are good Trump takes all of the credit.

If things are going down Trump never takes responsibility.

Instead it's all about blaming the Liberals. Liberals are bad for this reason, are bad for that reason.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:52 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
The issue is the market does not have confidence in how the President handles this outbreak. So far the market is correct.
Lol, no, that's not a factor at all. The downturn is directly tied to China's economy being in shambles right now as a result of the coronavirus. Many US companies are dependent on trade with China.... as are many companies throughout the world.

Notice how EVERY market is down across the globe?

I mean, I guess I give you credit for impressive mental gymnastics.... but people would have to be incredibly dumb to buy the bs you are selling.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:54 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,602,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
NAFTA was crafted in the Reagan Admin.

Bush 2 did the ceremonious signing with Canada and Mexico subject to Congress approval.

The voters rejected Ross Perot and instead elected Clinton.

Most Republicans voted in favor and enough Democrats did too.

Clinton signed it. Had he vetoed it, it would have flown once Republicans controlled both chambers.

of course NAFTA was a business mans piece of legislation but Clinton signing it was during the time when "popular opinion" was flying high in favor reagonomics and that old movies actors world view which has always seen the china market as consumers....never was china seen as producer which seems to have turned around and bitten the common worker

Clinton signs NAFTA and the democrats become republican light

currently both parties are taking the country to he}} only the democrats have applied the handbrake

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You only seem to start anti-Trump/Republican threads in POC, so my guess is that this potential outcome is being looked at by some as a good thing, if it could help to bring down Trump.
Of course most normal people of either ideological persuasion would view it as a horrible thing, as it will hurt a lot of peoples retirement funds and capitol.

Regardless, I would be very careful assuming this could be laid at Trumps feet with him being blamed. The left/Democrats are playing a very dangerous game, as it might blow up in their face.

`
He is not being blamed for the virus, he is being blamed for his inept response and total lack of leadership in the face of it.

The US is way behind other countries, because while they were taking action, he was at rallies telling people it (or the reporting of it) is a hoax.

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Holy crap they closed the market! Can they do that?
When the market declines 7%, trading is automatically temporarily hated to temper panic selling.

The last time ( before today) this happened was December, 2008.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:57 AM

30,175 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Lol, no, that's not a factor at all. The downturn is directly tied to China's economy being in shambles right now as a result of the coronavirus. Many US companies are dependent on trade with China.... as are many companies throughout the world.

Notice how EVERY market is down across the globe?

I mean, I guess I give you credit for impressive mental gymnastics.... but people would have to be incredibly dumb to buy the bs you are selling.
You are correct. We have at least a year before any sort of vaccine is available. We could have waves of outbreaks spreading around the world until that time. And the best way to slow the virus down means limiting travel and business activity. There is no magic wand that Trump or anyone else can wave to make everything better.

You can't blame Trump for the virus. However if the economy gets really bad voters will blame who is in the White House.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:58 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Hey Trump where's the economy that you claimed that "its the best ever." Where is it?

I don't see an awesome economy.

men, women and children are dying and more will die. workers won't get paid due to canceled events, reduced customer traffic, and being quarantined. businesses will go under. people will be financially devastated. That doesn't sound like the hallmarks of an economy that's the best ever.

Trump has lied!

Your basement is probably full of toilet paper. The coronavirus seems to be for the most part sparing children and affecting primarily the elderly with preexisting conditions. Try to keep up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51774777

Old 03-09-2020, 09:00 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,560 times
U. S. is about to get rocked by the corona virus. Our entitled populace, lack of accessible/affordable health-care, and atrocious leadership are going to be a horrible recipe. Trump is worried more about his economy than the health of our citizens. Just a matter of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies