Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 08:12 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned bailouts for airlines as too big to fail. But ironically, after years of trying various methods to drive down prices, we may be bailing out the oil industry. Being tied to national security it will be a no vote executive order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 08:12 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I guess this is now the place to discuss the market since the other ongoing TWO year old thread praising Trump for its rise seems to have been permanantly shut down today (ironically just as the market was).

Just as Trump was much responsible for its rise, he is not entirely to blame for its cataclysmic drop, the biggest in history. The President has very little sway over the market as it is the product of many many factors which no single entity can control.
I guessing after the markets was looking so bad, that the op requested it be closed. He couldn't take it anymore.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:13 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You really need to be more honest/accurate.

Largest POINT drop ever, which is meaningless compared to the way it should be measured, which is by percentage change. But both you and I know anyone without political bias knows the percentage is the proper way to measure performance.
At his rally last week trump was touting the largest point increase ever, so he apparently doesn't understand that.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Italy recently announced a total lockdown in the richest parts of the country with armed military guards at all checkpoints and long prison sentences for anyone who dares to leave. It is economically devastating.
Here’s a picture of people enjoying the day in an outdoor cafe in Milan. I don’t see the military imposing on the people at gunpoint.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/w...uarantine.html

Old 03-09-2020, 08:14 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
At his rally last week trump was touting the largest point increase ever, so he apparently doesn't understand that.
Well I don't have a direct forum to address that with POTUS. The poster I replied to here knows how the markets work and continues to make misleading posts so I like to call it out for those who don't know better.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As a critic of Trump, I don't wish the crash. I don't blame Trump for the Dow or give him the credit.
POTUS does not control markets, despite the cringe- worthy effort Trump has invested in claiming otherwise.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:15 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I guessing after the markets was looking so bad, that the op requested it be closed. He couldn't take it anymore.
Yes, when Trump supporters start taking it on the chin the mods just close the thread. "Nothing to see here, folks. Now just move along."

Old 03-09-2020, 08:16 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The stock market is a leading indicator. Traditionally it shows where the economy will be in 6 months. Essentially its prices relate to corporate earnings. The problem right now is where will corporate earnings be in six months with the uncertainty of the coronavirus. Many sectors will be way down but how much and how many is the problem.
With people cancelling their trips in droves, the travel industry is probably going to have its worst year since 9/11. And this will radiate out to other sectors of the economy. The Dow is going to go down. There's no way that it wouldn't, with all that's been going on. The only question is, how much.

To be sure, winter is typically the slowest season of the year for travel (other than to ski resorts, of course), so it's not like the planes would have been full if not for the coronavirus. But if this continues into the peak summer season, and people refrain from traveling in large numbers at that time, that's when what is already a crisis in the travel industry will become an all-out disaster. And the Dow will drop all the more.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:16 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I guess this is now the place to discuss the market since the other ongoing TWO year old thread praising Trump for its rise seems to have been permanantly shut down today (ironically just as the market was).

Just as Trump was much responsible for its rise, he is not entirely to blame for its cataclysmic drop, the biggest in history. The President has very little sway over the market as it is the product of many many factors which no single entity can control.
The current situation is caused by effectively a natural disaster. There's nothing that anyone could have done to prevent a virus in China causing supply shortages.

Our friends on the left have been paying for a recession they could blame on the president.... instead they got one that can't be blamed on him effectively. They got the pain they were praying for without the political benefit.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:17 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,712 times
So much for Trump and his brainwashed followers pumping the market. That's what happens when you pump the market. It crashes in you in literally no time. Trump and his supporters took all of the credit when it went up, now they can all eat the responsibility now for when it tanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies