Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 01:49 PM

4,622 posts, read 3,325,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Start your own cancer co-op.

Oh, I forget, you want it for free, aka other people pay
Just as a matter of information, do you insure your house? Your car? What happens if you have a burst pipe or a car accident? The insurance pays. What happens if you don't have a burst pipe or an accident? The insurance pays someone else who did have those things. You still have to pay premiums, whether or not you need to get help from them. That's because the ins. company has a BIG pool of people paying premiums and that helps even everything out. Do you opt out of insurance on your house or car? No, because you aren't allowed to drive your car unless you can prove you have insurance. You aren't allowed a mortgage on your house unless you can prove you have the house insured.

Healthcare for All, Medicare for All, Obamacare (in its original design) all work just like that. Nothing new. If everyone is in the pool, we all benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 01:52 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,421,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
A new law was passed saying that people who take ADHD meds have to visit a doctor every 3 months to get their meds.

Why does the healthcare system make people jump through hoops to get the stuff they need?

My mom says my insurance might not cover all the doctor visits, so we might have to pay for my meds out of pocket.

The American healthcare system is a joke.
that wasn't the healthcare system. That was democrats in Washington DC.

they are our gods and we must obey.

period.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:59 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,683,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Just as a matter of information, do you insure your house? Your car? What happens if you have a burst pipe or a car accident? The insurance pays. What happens if you don't have a burst pipe or an accident? The insurance pays someone else who did have those things. You still have to pay premiums, whether or not you need to get help from them. That's because the ins. company has a BIG pool of people paying premiums and that helps even everything out. Do you opt out of insurance on your house or car? No, because you aren't allowed to drive your car unless you can prove you have insurance. You aren't allowed a mortgage on your house unless you can prove you have the house insured.

Healthcare for All, Medicare for All, Obamacare (in its original design) all work just like that. Nothing new. If everyone is in the pool, we all benefit.
Yeah, see how well Europe especially Italy is doing under their M4A where they're letting old people die.

All this pandemic is doing is proving how terrible socialized healthcare is.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:16 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,536,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post

but we don't use auto or home insurance for every little sniffle either

when you need an annual check up/tune-up do you expect to do an auto insurance claim.... or when you need tires??

when you want need windows, or to paint your daughters room, do you expect homeowners insurance to pay for it??

insurance is supposed to be for the big things... not every sniffle you think you may have

we already have healthcare for all... its called doctors and the yellow pages.... what you are really wanting is to be PAID for everything.... and that defines GREED

Old 03-16-2020, 03:21 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,921,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
Grow up? So, I'm just supposed to shut up and deal with a terrible system?
By Jove, I think you've got it...!!

Old 03-16-2020, 07:22 PM

89,311 posts, read 45,033,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It isn't BS. Of course there would be a rush on services because people would get what they always needed. Are you suggesting that ERs would continue at initial levels even as people get healthier? Does that sound logical?
Yes, it does sound logical because when people get health care for free (mostly applicable to no/low-income), they use the ER instead of office visits for every sniffle, sneeze, and cough because the ER is more convenient, and they're not paying. Exactly what happened when Obamacare expanded Medicaid.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:24 PM

8,172 posts, read 3,719,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Yeah, see how well Europe especially Italy is doing under their M4A where they're letting old people die.

Apparently math or basic logic is not strong with you. Their system is being completely overwhelmed. The fact that is "socialized' is completely irrelevant. Yes, US is significantly richer so more ICU beds are available, but that would also quickly become insufficient with high enough infection rates.

BTW, why don't you check how Norway is doing , it is also "socialized" , but significantly richer than Italy.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:54 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,706,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

The pandemic is a public health issue. It has nothing to do with socialized healthcare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but we don't use auto or home insurance for every little sniffle either

when you need an annual check up/tune-up do you expect to do an auto insurance claim.... or when you need tires??

when you want need windows, or to paint your daughters room, do you expect homeowners insurance to pay for it??

insurance is supposed to be for the big things... not every sniffle you think you may have

we already have healthcare for all... its called doctors and the yellow pages.... what you are really wanting is to be PAID for everything.... and that defines GREED
You are correct with your comparison of health insurance and other forms of insurance. Much of our health insurance premium goes to prepaid healthcare, which is not insurance.

Your last sentence makes no sense. "wanting is to be PAID for everything" Who is wanting to be paid for everything? "and that defines greed" Are you inferring that needing medical care is being greedy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, it does sound logical because when people get health care for free (mostly applicable to no/low-income), they use the ER instead of office visits for every sniffle, sneeze, and cough because the ER is more convenient, and they're not paying. Exactly what happened when Obamacare expanded Medicaid.
Your understanding is wrong. People use ERs when they don't have health insurance because the ERs can't turn them away.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:58 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,536,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The pandemic is a public health issue. It has nothing to do with socialized healthcare.

You are correct with your comparison of health insurance and other forms of insurance. Much of our health insurance premium goes to prepaid healthcare, which is not insurance.

Your last sentence makes no sense. "wanting is to be PAID for everything" Who is wanting to be paid for everything? "and that defines greed" Are you inferring that needing medical care is being greedy?

Your understanding is wrong. People use ERs when they don't have health insurance because the ERs can't turn them away.

no wanting health care is not being greedy....wanting someone else to pay your bill is greedy

I can open up the yellow pages, find any doctor, and as long as they have available appointment times, I can go to that doctor for what ever my health issue is for...that is health care.....

now that service I received, needs to be paid for....it is my health, my body, and my bill.....I dont expect anyone to pay my way...not for healthcare, not for food, not for shelter, not for a vehicle, not for childcare, and yes not for education either

expecting others to pay for your needs/wants...that is greedy

Old 03-16-2020, 09:08 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,706,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no wanting health care is not being greedy....wanting someone else to pay your bill is greedy

I can open up the yellow pages, find any doctor, and as long as they have available appointment times, I can go to that doctor for what ever my health issue is for...that is health care.....

now that service I received, needs to be paid for....it is my health, my body, and my bill.....I dont expect anyone to pay my way...not for healthcare, not for food, not for shelter, not for a vehicle, not for childcare, and yes not for education either

expecting others to pay for your needs/wants...that is greedy

Not wanting other human beings to receive medical care when they need it is greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies