Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 07:25 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
My parents are both senior citizens and very much in denial, even though they both have pre-existing conditions, they refuse to stay at home per the CDC's guidance. My dad thinks its a hoax to attack President Trump, and he doesn't listen to Dr. Tony Fauci.

I tried talking some sense to them, but they simply won't listen.
A couple of you have said that but never say where they're going. Groceries, that's sort of legitimate as is the drug store to pick up meds.

The Senior Center? Most states have closed them as well as gyms.

So, where is it that they're going and have you offered (if you're close by) to run those errands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 07:26 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A couple of you have said that but never say where they're going. Groceries, that's sort of legitimate as is the drug store to pick up meds.

The Senior Center? Most states have closed them as well as gyms.

So, where is it that they're going and have you offered (if you're close by) to run those errands.

They are going to big-box stores and restaurants. Completely irresponsible and dangerous behavior. My S.O. has a police scanner and we hear every day of reports of coronavirus in Orlando. Sometimes whole families are coming down with it at once.

I am disabled and I live in an apartment with my domestic partner. We don't own a car and are self-quarantining. We cannot help them.

In this day and age you can order everything off the internet. It's much safer than travelling around and being near people who may well be infected.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:28 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
The Villages, giving the Virus and warning the finger two weeks ago, is now starting to close down and get hit hard. There are MANY people getting testing and all functions have shut down. An Army Field Hospital is being built nearby - for a reason! There are 150,000+ seniors in the area and no hospital of any note. They don't believe in the virus. Or they didn't until 4 days ago.

Now it's starting to go bad.....mental health pros are seeing panic attacks and I suspect many such things as well as heart attacks will occur from fear and realization of what they may be in for.

I feel badly for the 30% or so of Villages residents who were trying to instill reason into the heads of the other 70%. But they wouldn't listen. They said everyone has to die from something and they were not going to change.

I fear we won't see those same "heroics" in the days ahead when care has to be rationed to these people. The odds of getting enough ventilators and health care workers out there in the boonies is about zero. Maybe a bunch of them will take off in their cars and drive to orlando and fly elsewhere to infect others.

This situation alone should be fair warning to those over-65 and others who downplay this.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:33 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Go on..tell us how you really feel
Have you read the articles?

Read them yourself and give us your take - especially in light of what is happening now in these same areas. Resources that should have been available for others will have to be spent there....due to "entitlement".

Read them:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...re-republican/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...s-coronavirus/

Then tell us whether we should spend billions in taxpayer money trying to save those 150K+ souls who intentionally flouted recommendations.....

Old 03-20-2020, 08:09 PM

3,089 posts, read 1,550,231 times
Quote:
My parents are both senior citizens and very much in denial, even though they both have pre-existing conditions, they refuse to stay at home per the CDC's guidance. My dad thinks its a hoax to attack President Trump, and he doesn't listen to Dr. Tony Fauci.

I tried talking some sense to them, but they simply won't listen.
Well I’m a senior citizen and I have horses to take care of and I wont listen either. Im not letting my animals starve to death due to some govt moron!

Old 03-20-2020, 10:26 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

I'm encountering the opposite problem, of elderly friends who are irrationally terrified.
Do you put that down to which news service they watch too?

Old 03-20-2020, 10:38 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
When does this stop? What's the time limit on demanding a subset of people not to participate in everyday life? Because you really care about them.
There is NO time line yet, its too early to tell. It may be 3-4 week, or it may be 6-8 months, NO ONE knows yet.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:43 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
They are going to big-box stores and restaurants. Completely irresponsible and dangerous behavior. My S.O. has a police scanner and we hear every day of reports of coronavirus in Orlando. Sometimes whole families are coming down with it at once.

I am disabled and I live in an apartment with my domestic partner. We don't own a car and are self-quarantining. We cannot help them.

In this day and age you can order everything off the internet. It's much safer than travelling around and being near people who may well be infected.
We all need to remember those restaurants and other businesses that just had to remain open or 'partially open' early on!

they are endangering EVERYONES health and safety.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:56 PM

32,079 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Many aren't taking this seriously no matter what age they are.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:05 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,808,959 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies