Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 04:47 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Not sure when we'll reach that kind of volume of masks. I hope 3M has people working 24/7.
It's kinda the point of the Defense Protection Act that Trump has kinda sorta invoked. The idea is to get companies like Carrier and Ford making ventilators. You also get 3M, Proctor and Gamble making masks. Clothing manufacturers can also make masks as well as gowns, and bio-hazard suits. Supply chain is looking a lot better by the day because a whole lot of companies that can't make and sell what they typically do want to be able to sell something, so they're stepping up to meet the demand rather than go out of business. I'm betting that toilet paper production is getting massively ramped up as well.

If you can stick a 12 pack of paper towels and toilet paper in the hands of 350,000,000 people over and over again throughout any given year, I think we can do the same with masks. Even N95 masks aren't super duper complicated to make. Once you've got your production up and running, you can crank out a helluva lot of masks very quickly.

Out biggest problem is that we got to accustomed to China making everything for us and now that's biting us squarely in the ass.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:50 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I think it is time we designed a mask based on a type of fabric that can be washed at 60°C and then reused.
When tens or hundreds of millions of humans need masks, the one-way approach is kind of unsustainable.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think it is time we designed a mask based on a type of fabric that can be washed at 60°C and then reused.
When tens or hundreds of millions of humans need masks, the one-way approach is kind of unsustainable.
I have seen Ultraviolet light being used to sanitize hospital operating rooms instead of bleach and alcohol. I wonder if they could just make little "tanning beds" to put equipment like masks in to kill viruses? I know it works for bacteria, not sure for viruses.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:56 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Hospitals consider universal do-not-resuscitate orders for coronavirus patients

Hospitals on the front lines of the pandemic are engaged in a heated private debate over a calculation few have encountered in their lifetimes — how to weigh the “save at all costs” approach to resuscitating a dying patient against the real danger of exposing doctors and nurses to the contagion of coronavirus.

Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago has been discussing a universal do-not-resuscitate policy for infected patients, regardless of the wishes of the patient or their family members — a wrenching decision to prioritize the lives of the many over the one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ot-resucitate/
And Italy says that if you're over 60, you don't get a ventilator. Pandemics tend to force humanity to make terrible decisions. In Spain, Nursing Homes are being abandoned by their workers who have left the residents to die of the disease.

I hope things don't get quite so dire here in the USA. Once the medical system is overwhelmed, you end up coming face to face with whole series of the devil's choices.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I have seen Ultraviolet light being used to sanitize hospital operating rooms instead of bleach and alcohol. I wonder if they could just make little "tanning beds" to put equipment like masks in to kill viruses? I know it works for bacteria, not sure for viruses.
Yes, I think UV light is also used for disinfecting water.

Regarding the virus itself, I wonder what the interaction between the corona and the flu virus is. Could one fight fire with fire so to speak, by deliberately infecting people with the more manageable flu virus if that prevents the corona virus from docking onto host cells?

Old 03-25-2020, 05:03 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, I think UV light is also used for disinfecting water.

Regarding the virus itself, I wonder what the interaction between the corona and the flu virus is. Could one fight fire with fire so to speak, by deliberately infecting people with the more manageable flu virus if that prevents the corona virus from docking onto host cells?
I assume this is a joke, riffing on Trump's ignorance.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
And Italy says that if you're over 60, you don't get a ventilator. Pandemics tend to force humanity to make terrible decisions. In Spain, Nursing Homes are being abandoned by their workers who have left the residents to die of the disease.

I hope things don't get quite so dire here in the USA. Once the medical system is overwhelmed, you end up coming face to face with whole series of the devil's choices.
Yes, that's horrible, I saw desperate nurses from Spain on tv.
The reason why we need a flat curve, it gives our healthcare systems time to distribute the load over a longer period of time.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I assume this is a joke, riffing on Trump's ignorance.
Hey, I was asking, it was merely an idea. I am not a virologist and I listen to experts.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:09 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Inside NYC hospitals. It's not just old people dying. Young, healthy people are dying as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/n...hospitals.html
Calls over a loudspeaker of “Team 700,” the code for when a patient is on the verge of death, come several times a shift. Some have died inside the emergency room while waiting for a bed.

A refrigerated truck has been stationed outside to hold the bodies of the dead. Over the past 24 hours, New York City’s public hospital system said in a statement, 13 people at Elmhurst had died.

“It’s apocalyptic,” said Dr. Bray, a general medicine resident at the hospital.
All of the more than 1,800 intensive care units in New York City are expected to be full by Friday, according to a Federal Emergency Management Agency leadership briefing obtained by The New York Times. Patients could stay for weeks, limiting space for newly sickened residents.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-25-2020, 05:10 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Default New Orleans Director of Health, Feb. 25: "No danger to the region...."

What should we do with people like this, who were wrong beyond words?? Who allowed things like Mardi Gras to go ahead, despite weeks of warnings about the virus?? Or the mayor of New Orleans, or the governor?? Within two weeks of this public statement, the entire state was being destroyed.
https://www.nola.com/gambit/news/the...5d78e1e8e.html

How about people like Cuomo (the new Dem candidate for President!!). He presides over the most destroyed jurisdiction in the entire world, and obviously waited weeks and weeks too long to take strong measures.
Or De Blasio, who said TWO DAYS ago that he wasn't about to start "being draconian" (his words).

What should we do about people like this??

Answer: the same as we always do. Reward them, praise them, give them even more powerful positions.

(OOps, I was supposed to criticize Trump and blame him for everything. Sorry! Not sorry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies