Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 05:38 PM

8,338 posts, read 2,965,021 times

Advertisements

Most U.S. cases in NYC thanks to Gov Andrew Slomo and Mayor De Blassole.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:39 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Actually Dr Birx was saying the same sort of thing today at the news conference. Computer models saying 60-80% infection rate in a few months. But there is not a country yet that has more than 1 in 1000 infection rate. Except for a couple of small countries. Monaco being one I believe. So there is a big disconnect between the computer models and reality.

So she said we need to be able to test the masses and see who has had the virus because its possible that much fewer get ill from it than we thought.

Its hopeful news. Could be why it burned out in China. It might have spread widely and then slowed down.
This assumes that all the work China and SK have done wasn't the reason. That seems foolish and already disproven due to the USA having 5X per capita as many cases as China.

It's not going to magically go away in the next couple of weeks. It just won't. It doesn't have a counter on it and that it stops once it hits a million?

We stop it by our actions....or spread it by them. Then we develop "cures", which are being worked on as we speak. Even antibodies of recovered patients are being tried.

But people are dying right now due to lack of US Action.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:40 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Did you care when 17k died of H1N!? And 60 million were infected in the US? If you not, you just might be a hyprocrite.
That is a false argument. Of course people of compassion care about any death as each diminishes all of us.

However, this is a totally different threat, Grizrl. It is an epidemic of a very different magnitude. A pandemic such as this is a national security crisis as well as a public health one, and to continue to compare it to other flu outbreaks is puzzling. What possibly is your agenda? BTW, the usual flu is still going around as well as this new, hugely contagious and rapidly spreading, serious and confounding virus.

Did you see hospitals running out of beds and supplies across our nation due to H1N1? Did you see patients being treated in hallways and tents and parking lots during that flu outbreak? Were there massive cases of adult respiratory distress syndrome? Did you see governors begging for ventilators and federal assistance? Did you see nations across the globe carrying off the bodies of those who died overnight, in caravans of trucks at dawn?

Why do you persist in denying what we are all seeing and hearing with our own eyes and ears? Why must you continue to mimic a campaign talking point of Mr. Trump's and Fox News Network, that has been abandoned due to its absurdity? I seriously would like to understand why.

This challenge that the world is encountering is real and it is big and it is not the H1N1, or a car accident or a cold. Why are you calling people hypocrites for caring about others by following the recommendations of those who know what they are talking about?

Last edited by corpgypsy; 03-26-2020 at 06:03 PM..

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Has that test been created yet? I hadn't heard anything about that. It should just be a blood test, similar to a diabetic checking their blood sugar

Too true we need it. If you think you might have had it and could pop by your local WalGreens drive-through and get a test for Covid-19 antibodies, wouldn't you? If you've already had it, then you don't have to worry about getting it in the future. You should be completely immune. Who doesn't want to know that?

But antibody testing is vastly more important for us to figure out where the virus has already been. The UK apparently already has it?
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...t-shows-if-you
From what I heard that is not the case. There have already been cases of reinfection in Asia. Even if the rate were very low, it would take away that sense of safety only 100% immunity can give.

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Nothing in that video looks bad to me.
A slight uptake in hospital patients.

Morgues are full because the bodies can't be moved anywhere because everything else is shut down.
Yes 40% increase in one day in NY hospitalizations is a walk in the park.

Nothingburger for places like Miami,

and party people who were on Bourbon Street in New Orleans packed into bars have nothing to worry about.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:41 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
That's because people aren't being tested unless they're on the brink of death.
Then why are all of these celebrities getting tested with little to no symptoms>

Old 03-26-2020, 05:41 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Sadly, I do. My brother, who is not doing well, along with both of my nieces who live in the DC area. One niece didn’t have really bad symptoms but five office mates get it so they all ended up getting tested. The other niece is having symptoms like high fever and struggling but was told to go home. She seems to be doing better now. I am genuinely afraid my brother, who has several high risk factors, might not make it.
So scary...I hope it turns out well. If you don't mind my asking, how old is your brother? I also have concerns about some family members.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:43 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This assumes that all the work China and SK have done wasn't the reason. That seems foolish and already disproven due to the USA having 5X per capita as many cases as China.

It's not going to magically go away in the next couple of weeks. It just won't. It doesn't have a counter on it and that it stops once it hits a million?

We stop it by our actions....or spread it by them. Then we develop "cures", which are being worked on as we speak. Even antibodies of recovered patients are being tried.

But people are dying right now due to lack of US Action.
For some time people were hoping warmer weather could stop it. But there are more and more cases in Brazil now, where temps are still in the 80's.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:44 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Nobody can even find any corona virus victims

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 03-26-2020, 05:48 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
I almost agree with the OP. Almost. I think shutting down the whole country's economy is too much.....it could cause more problems than the CV. But what to do...? this is a tough one... Trump (and all politicians) are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Maybe isolate all Americans into 3 groups....?
1) Elderly and others with health problems
2) Older but healthy
3) Younger, healthy people

Let #3 go back to work.....forced quarantine of #1. #2 on self quarantine, just stay away from the public and stay healthy.

I dunno, maybe a dumb idea, but would give people some hope and a little sense of normalcy....?
I completely agree with this idea. Obviously if you are young and healthy, stay away from group 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies