Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 07:04 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,593,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
He was talking about Italian hospitals, but you are still correct. The reason our hospitals are failing is not because of capitalism, it’s because of collectivism. And forcing hospitals to offer care for free is basically slavery. If this continues, what kind of doctors are we going to have when we limit their pay to control costs?

It’s bs. I want my American doctors to be obscenely well paid so that there is insane competition and only the best of the best make it into my hospitals. Freedom and capitalism apply to medicine just as they do to any other business. And medicine is a BUSINESS, not a charity, and not a right.
If you want to remove the "collectivist" element from hospitals, profit maximization would result in hospitals having even fewer beds and resources than they have now. It would also demands that they put in place "surge" pricing at a time like this which will result in only the most affluent people receiving treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
well the one thing this is proving is that we don't need brick and mortar schools....on line schooling is great, my kids love it, and I think they are learning more
Well, from an economic standpoint, that would remove roughly 25-35% of workers the workforce. Does that sound like a good idea to you? After all, someone has to stay home and watch these kids. You also lose the social learning that comes with in-person schooling.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:09 AM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Social distancing is here to stay for much more than a few weeks. It will upend our way of life, in some ways forever.

To stop coronavirus we will need to radically change almost everything we do: how we work, exercise, socialize, shop, manage our health, educate our kids, take care of family members.

We all want things to go back to normal quickly. But what most of us have probably not yet realized—yet will soon—is that things won’t go back to normal after a few weeks, or even a few months. Some things never will.

In the short term, this will be hugely damaging to businesses that rely on people coming together in large numbers: restaurants, cafes, bars, nightclubs, gyms, hotels, theaters, cinemas, art galleries, shopping malls, craft fairs, museums, musicians and other performers, sporting venues (and sports teams), conference venues (and conference producers), cruise lines, airlines, public transportation, private schools, day-care centers. That’s to say nothing of the stresses on parents thrust into home-schooling their kids, people trying to care for elderly relatives without exposing them to the virus, people trapped in abusive relationships, and anyone without a financial cushion to deal with swings in income.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ing-18-months/

Interesting hypothesis..

I think that things will be back to normal next year.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:10 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
Maybe the custom of shaking hands will go away. Personally, I'd rather see it replaced with the Asian custom of bowing. Or, in deference to American sensibilities, we could just nod our heads for a greeting.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:26 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
We nuked 2 Japanese cities in the 1940s. We were buying so much Japanese goods in the 1950s that “made in Japan” became a meme. EVERYTHING BLOWS OVER.

The bubonic plague blew over. Covid-19 is just a tornado. It will do damage. Some people will die. The vast majority of people will recover and rebuild the damage and will be partying and enjoying life again in short order.

EVERYTHING BLOWS OVER.

If everything blows over the British would still be in control here. Everything does not blow over.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Do you think hospitals cut capacity for no good reason? Why do you think they made the cuts? Because they had to serve nonpaying customers (both American and illegal alien) and that cost money, eventually forcing them to cut capacity and other expenses.

I really do wonder where peoples heads are.

The previous comment was about Italy cutting 50%.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:35 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
Well Obama said sub 2% GDP growth, high unemployment, $4/gal gasoline and little to no U.S. manufacturing were "the new norm". What happened to those? LOL!

Old 03-27-2020, 07:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,506,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Well, from an economic standpoint, that would remove roughly 25-35% of workers the workforce. Does that sound like a good idea to you? After all, someone has to stay home and watch these kids. You also lose the social learning that comes with in-person schooling.
how do you figure it would remove 20-25% of the WORKFORCE???

my kids are "on-line' with their teacher(S), ALL the teachers.. the teacher workforce will still be the same, just instead of going to a brick-n-mortar petri dish , kids (and teachers) get to work from home...its more efficient, less wasted time, and because of less distractions, more education

Old 03-27-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:

my kids are "on-line' with their teacher(S), ALL the teachers.. the teacher workforce will still be the same, just instead of going to a brick-n-mortar petri dish , kids (and teachers) get to work from home...its more efficient, less wasted time, and because of less distractions, more education

TUSD in Arizona is talking about cutting staff long term. Using more work from home teachers. They want to double class size. My daughter in law is a teacher there.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 03-27-2020 at 08:08 AM..

Old 03-27-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:

You're right. 25% was probably an overestimate.

According to the BLS, the number of families with all parents working (including single-parent families with one parent working) is roughly 31 million (out of a total workforce of 161 million). So you are looking removing somewhere around 30 million people (20% give or take) from the workforce if one parent is staying home to watch their children while they learn remotely. Sure, some people have the luxury or hiring a nanny or cobbling together coverage through family members, but those are not practical options for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies