Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 05:38 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
feel free to go search my posts for things I've said that he's done wrong. They're numerous. I see you "magically disappeared" on the BS about "blaming the doctors and nurses".
I never said he blamed doctors and nurses, so I saw no point in arguing with you about how people interpreted his poorly worded communications.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:41 PM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
As long as anyone that comes down with the virus stays away from hospitals endangering medical staff
The Friendship Baptist Church in Baltimore, MD a predominately black church also held services in defiance to a state wide shut down this past Sunday. Just like the virus, stupidity about dealing with the virus has no racial preference.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/coron...ints/31982513#

https://magicbaltimore.com/3468481/f...aptist-church/
The Friendship Baptist Church in Baltimore got the attention of police Sunday. Several officers were called to a complaint that services were being held in defiance of the governor's order.

"This is a house of God. This is His house. This is His sanctuary, and you are interfering with our free exercise of our religious faith," the church's pastor, Alvin Gwynn, told the officers.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:50 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
This is why Trump is helping states like NY and CA right?

Old 03-31-2020, 05:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
feel free to go search my posts for things I've said that he's done wrong. They're numerous. I see you "magically disappeared" on the BS about "blaming the doctors and nurses".
I certainly have seen them, however your POV comes from a baseline of, in general, trusting that Trump is a moral, ethical, capable and compassionate fella.

Since that is not the case - by ANY measure - starting with the assumption that he is "right" and then finding a few places where you consider him otherwise is not objectively valid. He must be measured against his account not only the insults, the treatment of people and women, the 12,000 lies, the impeachment, the number of his "best people" indicted or in jail and there like.

Not to beat that horse to death, but there was a certain historical character in the last century who said and did a vast amount of "the best things". In fact, he wasn't anywhere near as vocal and outright mean as our current POTUS.

Looked at through that lens, your critiques are more like "hey, everyone makes mistakes" as opposed to "to expect anything but mistakes is ridiculous"...

It should be a hint if someone can't read, speak or show emotion. But apparently the fact that he does the 8th grade insult thing to so many people entertains them so that they don't measure the human being.
Or maybe people that think he's putting a dollar in their pocket are blinded by money?

I wish I knew more. Authoritarianism is the name, but the exact why's are complex.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:54 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I never said he blamed doctors and nurses, so I saw no point in arguing with you about how people interpreted his poorly worded communications.
Do you draw a distinction between doctors/nurses/other direct CARE providers, and all the other employees of a hospital?

Do you believe that a janitor making $12/hour might be tempted to carry off a pallet worth $1,000+?

Do you disavow all claims that he blamed doctors and nurses for "stealing" PPE's?

Old 03-31-2020, 06:06 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
A good article in NYT listing the different ways countries are enforcing quarantine for visitors and returning nationals. This is something the US failed to do and they just let tens of thousands of US citizens to flood back into the US carrying the virus with them. Of course many passed it to fellow travelers on long transoceanic flights and long cues at airports.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/w...uth-korea.html

The world will soon be divided in two:

Countries where the virus rages
Countries where it is under control or stamped completely out

The US is likely to be in a position where the virus become endemic and US citizens may find themselves permanently banned from traveling to places where the virus is controlled.

US citizens currently abroad, which includes me, will face a difficult choice. They might be currently in a country where the virus is controlled or stamped out. If they return to the US, they likely will no longer be able to travel again back to their family, businesses, or in my case my sailboat, which is located in a safe country.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
WTF?

Texas ran out of tests today!

"Texas, which has a per capita testing rate of just 124 people for every 100,000, ran out of coronavirus tests Tuesday after processing its last 40 tests at state public health labs. Any further testing of Texas residents must be done by commercial firms unless public labs get more testing materials, said Tom Banning, CEO at the Texas Academy of Family Physicians."

This is a complete debacle. If MILLIONS of tests were available 2 weeks ago, how the heck does a massive state which isn't doing enough testing anyway...run out of tests?

We were building ONE B-24 PER HOUR in WWII.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:09 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Default Flattening the Curve is Not Enough

Interesting article from MIT. It's a couple weeks old, but still quite relevant.

https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/f...is-not-enough/

Quote:
But the bottom line is: Even in optimistic flattening the curve scenarios, the curve cannot flatten enough. And this constraint is coming up quickly. I did some calculations for Canada and my most optimistic projection had current capacity being overwhelmed in mid to late April. Absent other choices you are left with (a) running out of capacity and having a large share of elderly die or (b) crushing the curve and doing all of this again later in the year. For Europe, North America and Australia, there is no longer a choice and (b) is pretty much off the table.
An Alternative: Dramatic, immediate increase in capacity
When everything is laid out this way, the policy solution is obvious. If we can’t flatten the curve enough, we must dramatically increase health care capacity.
This is being done a little bit. We have the medical ship in NY, and one of the medical doctors who posts here has said how his hospital has converted areas to ICUs, but we may need to do much, much more. The end of the article above talks about government taking control of production, through directing it. What do you think?

Old 03-31-2020, 06:11 PM

1,768 posts, read 717,010 times
Army core of engineers is constructing quick build hospitals all across america.
If you want quick build new hospital buildings like China did they won't be up to code and could, as they did in China collapse - they also won't be suitable for long term use for the reasons.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:12 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,628 times
It's known as 'the human condition'. Millions of people die every year because of various 'less than ideal' decisions that are made either by themselves or other people. In general, we accept this, esp. here in the US as there is a balance between individual rights/practicality and a need to maintain order/safety. Every night, thousands (tens of thousands?) of folks drive while under the influence. They know that specific activity can (and often does) leads to accidents and 'life altering events', but yet those folks still continue to engage in that activity.

What we're seeing now is nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies