Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 10:11 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I'm dead if I get this virus, so I get where you are coming from. I isolated myself early before anyone told me to. I wanted us to shutdown for a couple of weeks so that the hospitals would not be overwhelmed. However, I didn't sign up for shutting everything down for months. I figured many would work from home, the sickly would stay in and others would wear masks, etc.. I didn't count on people hoarding toilet paper or bare food shelves. I never dreamed so many would lose their jobs. What I saw last weekend were lines of people waiting for food. Freaking food because they have no income. We need to open up soon before this country is destroyed. We will have hiccups, some hot spots might have to curtail activities, but we must move on.
The question that needs to be asked is whether people can go about their normal lives if 10,000+ people die every day for a week. We lost 2,400 lives yesterday despite having shelter in place orders in effect across America. If we prematurely lift social restrictions, the loss of life will be even greater. Will Americans go to movies and go on vacations when the newspapers are reporting record-breaking case and fatality counts every other day? That won't exactly inspire consumer confidence.

The flaw in the "open it up" thinking is that things can't really get worse than they are now. If we try to go back to "normal," it's possible that we could see mind-blowing fatality numbers, and now you've scored yourself a two-fer: You've exacerbated the public health crisis while simultaneously lengthening and deepening the economic recession. But I wouldn't be surprised if we pursue the "open it now no matter what" course of action because this administration and Americans in general tend to be very short-sighted. It's no wonder so many Baby Boomers are completely unprepared for retirement.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:27 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,452,328 times
April 15th, Sweden still hasn't locked down.

What if the death rates even out between Sweden and countries that quarantined? What if we shut down our economy for nothing?

Saw an article day that an Israeli professor has plotted the infection pattern across multiple countries and the patterns shows the rise and decline of the virus is nearly a constant. It doesn't matter if people quarantined or not. It has a set cycle. No mention if the cycle is repeating.

From the article:
“There is a decline in the number of infections even [in countries] without closures, and it is similar to the countries with closures,”

This is huge if true and would be a part of the calculus for bringing our economy back online

Old 04-15-2020, 10:30 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,452,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The question that needs to be asked is whether people can go about their normal lives if 10,000+ people die every day for a week. We lost 2,400 lives yesterday despite having shelter in place orders in effect across America. If we prematurely lift social restrictions, the loss of life will be even greater. Will Americans go to movies and go on vacations when the newspapers are reporting record-breaking case and fatality counts every other day? That won't exactly inspire consumer confidence.

The flaw in the "open it up" thinking is that things can't really get worse than they are now. If we try to go back to "normal," it's possible that we could see mind-blowing fatality numbers, and now you've scored yourself a two-fer: You've exacerbated the public health crisis while simultaneously lengthening and deepening the economic recession. But I wouldn't be surprised if we pursue the "open it now no matter what" course of action because this administration and Americans in general tend to be very short-sighted. It's no wonder so many Baby Boomers are completely unprepared for retirement.
Do people go about their daily lives when we lose more than 10K per week to heart disease? Do they overeat, smoke, refuse to exercise, and ignore their own genetic past?

Old 04-15-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Do people go about their daily lives when we lose more than 10K per week to heart disease? Do they overeat, smoke, refuse to exercise, and ignore their own genetic past?
Last time I checked, heart disease was not contagious.

Also, I said 10K per day. Not 10K in a week.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:40 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,537,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I'm dead if I get this virus, so I get where you are coming from. I isolated myself early before anyone told me to. I wanted us to shutdown for a couple of weeks so that the hospitals would not be overwhelmed. However, I didn't sign up for shutting everything down for months. I figured many would work from home, the sickly would stay in and others would wear masks, etc.. I didn't count on people hoarding toilet paper or bare food shelves. I never dreamed so many would lose their jobs. What I saw last weekend were lines of people waiting for food. Freaking food because they have no income. We need to open up soon before this country is destroyed. We will have hiccups, some hot spots might have to curtail activities, but we must move on.
This. What hit me was the news coverages of people lining up for food banks, sometimes camping overnight, or flooding them with lines of literally (at least if you believe the news coverage) thousands. We need to start getting people back to work. Open up any business that doesn't have a lot of direct physical contact. I can see keeping gyms, beauty salons or similar places shut down, and sporting events or concerts, but not a lot else. Those at high risk or those that are especially concerned are free to shelter in their own homes, but let others get back to work. After a week or two and with some sample testing we can decide rather to open everything.

Remember-the original argument for "social distancing" was simply to "flatten the curve" and avoid overwhelming our health care system. The claim was that the same number would still get sick-the area under the curve was the same. So long as we don't bury the hospitals, start opening things up and get this over with.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,620,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
If there is no economy, there will be no human life. No food, no shelter, riots and looting, no medical care of any kind, no culture, no education.
Oh please, the economy can and WILL start over again, even from scratch if need be.

Look back thru history, PLENTY of big civilizations fell...but they eventually came back from it too, Rome still exists today and they seem to be doing just fine.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,620,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
This. What hit me was the news coverages of people lining up for food banks, sometimes camping overnight, or flooding them with lines of literally (at least if you believe the news coverage) thousands. We need to start getting people back to work. Open up any business that doesn't have a lot of direct physical contact. I can see keeping gyms, beauty salons or similar places shut down, but not a lot else. Those at high risk or those that are especially concerned are free to shelter in their own homes, but let others get back to work. After a week or two and with some sample testing we can decide rather to open everything.
The problem is, other countries that have tried this, they saw infected numbers skyrocket very quickly. If that happens here, how do you think people will feel about starting over from the beginning and being closed down another 2-3 months?!

Old 04-15-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Open up any business that doesn't have a lot of direct physical contact.
How many businesses are closed that don't have a lot of direct physical contact? Nearly all businesses in New York that don't involve a lot of face-to-face interaction are still open. Construction has still been ongoing for the most part. I can even walk into the nearby bike shop and enjoy a chai latte while I get new pedals and a cassette.

Retail, however, does require face-to-face interaction, so your plan would be wholly ineffective on that front. The same is true of tourism and hospitality. And entertainment. And the restaurant industry. These are big parts of the American economy that are creating ripple effects throughout the greater economy. What is your plan to get these industries open?

Old 04-15-2020, 10:52 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,730,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Excellent!

It is not as though people weren't dying every day in large numbers before this CV madness began. I would like to see data comparing total numbers of deaths in this CV period with an average for the same time period over, say, the last 10 years. It wouldn't surprise me for the numbers to be very close, if not essentially the same. Because most of the "CV" deaths are in people very vulnerable due to other health problems completely unrelated to CV. The point being that, sadly, many would have died anyway.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:52 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,537,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How many businesses are closed that don't have a lot of direct physical contact? Nearly all businesses in New York that don't involve a lot of face-to-face interaction are still open. Construction has still been ongoing for the most part. I can even walk into the nearby bike shop and enjoy a chai latte while I get new pedals and a cassette.

Retail, however, does require face-to-face interaction, so your plan would be wholly ineffective on that front. The same is true of tourism and hospitality. And entertainment. And the restaurant industry. These are big parts of the American economy that are creating ripple effects throughout the greater economy. What is your plan to get these industries open?
"Face to face"-as in people actually talking to each other-yes, open that up. Things with direct, very close contact? Maybe give it a couple weeks and evaluate. Again, like gyms and barber shops. I can see starting in smaller, more remote cities, rather than NYC or a major metro for a couple weeks. Evaluate and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies