Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 08:55 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
I would disagree with the "need" to contaminate others.

The argument against that is - the more you allow the virus to spread - the greater chance it has to mutate and therefore making a vaccine/cure becomes more difficult.
Yes, the rate of mutation is currently low, and we have to keep it low to maximize the chances for a good vaccine.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Disantis can’t get the dam unemployment checks out after 3 weeks and yet he is ready to open up with now over 650 deaths and 21800 plus cases! FL is still a hot spot. The man is a fr3aking lunatic and needs to step down ! I wonder how many deaths are under his belt for letting the spring breakers hang out - 100% true piece of shyte.
Who knows. Republicans are quick with the blame to New York leadership but are not consistent with Florida's or worse South Dakota's.

Last edited by mkpunk; 04-15-2020 at 09:13 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 08:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
People around here are having trouble finding masks. They've been sold out for years. Some were making masks, but now the stores are sold out of fabric and elastic. The facebook groups have been shutting down people trying to sell handmade masks. They won't let the 'nonessential' stores that sell only fabric and such to reopen so people can buy what they need. Why can't people be allowed to "social distance" in a so-called "nonessential" store?
I cut up a tee shirt.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:58 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,000,145 times
Quote:
My argument is as long as you keep giving money to people (Through a UBI or just constant checks until this crisis is over) - NOT corporations to maintain their homes, keep food on the table, and pay bills, you can shutdown as long as you'd like. If companies fail that's fine because all that will happen is kill off the Wall Street folks - particularly bad management at corporations who didn't think to save their profits for a rainy day instead they spent it on stock buybacks and C-suite bonuses. Letting them collapse is a way to teach them a hard lesson and get rid of terrible management. I'm all for this. Because at the end of the day, it's not the buildings or companies that built America, it's the people. It's us, the human capital who built this country. We can always rebuild.

Ignorance is bliss.

The "corporations" are not affected by the current "stay at home" shutdowns. The "corporations" are all staying in business, with their employees working from home.

The businesses that are being KILLED by the "stay at home" shutdowns are the sole proprietor businesses...the hardware store that's been in the family since 1947, the restaurant that was bought by the former busboy in 2001, the barber who has been running a one chair shop since 1975.

Big business will recover. These individually-owned businesses may not.

Hold on to your "you can shutdown as long as you like" thought. The Great Depression lasted for ten years despite all of the "keep giving money to people" efforts of FDR.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:58 PM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
In reality, we NEED to contaminate others. We just need to do it at a speed where the healthcare system can keep up. You do realize this, don't you? Just set aside you TDS for a little bit and simply look at how viruses work. Forget the politics and focus on the virus and the economy. We need to get through the virus and the way we do that is by getting the virus and/or getting a vaccine. Vaccines are not 100% perfect and then there will always be mutations, just like the flu. Like it or not, we are going to have to start working again and Covid WILL be out there and people WILL be getting it. I know I can count on you to politicize it all day long, but the facts are the facts when it comes to a virus and while we can hide, we can't do it forever.
Do you understand this is Novel animal virus and we do not have any immunity built for it in our bodies ? It will take quite a while until we do. How many human specimens you want to infect until you are happy the population is now able to withstand it? Maybe you should volunteer first. ? A vaccine will come or a remedy will be invented in some lab - but I prefer to save as many as possible. What’s is your rush??

Old 04-15-2020, 09:02 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
There is a HUGELY big flaw in people's arguments about why we cannot or should not open up the economy again. The economy was NOT shut down to prevent people from getting the virus. It was shut down to prevent too many people getting it at ONE TIME and thus overwhelming the healthcare system. That's it. Once we know that the amount of people getting the virus and needing medical attention will not overwhelm the healthcare system, then we can open up again (Yes, bit by bit and area by area, as is planned). People keep making the mistake of thinking we are shut down and need to stay shut down simply because people may get sick or die. If that was the case, we would be shutting down off and on for all kinds of issues. It is simply because of not wanting to overwhelm the healthcare system. All this back and forth arguing over how many people will die is missing the point completely.

You may now carry on with your arguing. Thank you for your time.
That's the way I look at it.

Our unique federalist form of government is confusing to some people. So here's a handy review of how it came to be, and what it all means.
Basically, the federal government's powers are enumerated. That is, they are given certain powers, and only those powers; the rest of the power is given to the state and the people within the states. So, while Trump has control of international trade, he does not have the power to shut down your local dry cleaner. The state government does, however, and that's where the dry cleaner gets his license to operate.

All-in-all, I think we're doing pretty darn well. We have a few idiots who think it's business as usual, and they are dealt with by local authorities sporting one badge or another.
Some Americans don't take kindly to lock down.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:03 PM

413 posts, read 209,540 times
Quote:
Just curious to exactly what you disagree with? I'd like your thoughts as well.
Sure. My pleasure. It is this part "My argument is as long as you keep giving money to people (Through a UBI or just constant checks until this crisis is over) - NOT corporations to maintain their homes, keep food on the table, and pay bills, you can shutdown as long as you'd like. If companies fail that's fine because all that will happen is kill off the Wall Street folks - particularly bad management at corporations who didn't think to save their profits for a rainy day instead of spending it on stock buybacks and C-suite bonuses. Letting them collapse is a way to teach them a hard lesson and get rid of terrible management. I'm all for this."

I make my living as a financial advisor and many people underestimate just how bad the ripple effect would be to their personal finances (regular folks like you and me who have retirement accounts and/or pensions which are invested) if people stopped "working" and companies started falling. Not only is there the basic infrastructure of the businesses which are very difficult to ressurect, there is the businesses that depend on the businesses who depends on that business and so on. Small and medium companies are much more intertwined and dependent on larger companies than most realize. Once those dominoes start to fall, we go from a really bad situation to a devastating situation that would rip the foundation out from under people and their life savings. Most people live basically paycheck to paycheck. They have only two things of value. Their house and their retirement account. If we allow the destruction of their retirement account, the rest of their lives will be destroyed. They will almost certainly lose their house once they lose their savings. It's not something we every want to entertain happening. I know there is a ton of waste in the spending package and yes, companies who should not get the money will. However, in times like these, we always have to err on the side of doing too much for too many and never allow ourselves to come up short.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
It should remain a goal to slow it as much as possible until a vaccine is available, even if there is a partial reopening.
Agreed. As much as possible, but not to the complete detriment to everything else. Everything within reason.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:05 PM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Ignorance is bliss.

The "corporations" are not affected by the current "stay at home" shutdowns. The "corporations" are all staying in business, with their employees working from home.

The businesses that are being KILLED by the "stay at home" shutdowns are the sole proprietor businesses...the hardware store that's been in the family since 1947, the restaurant that was bought by the former busboy in 2001, the barber who has been running a one chair shop since 1975.

Big business will recover. These individually-owned businesses may not.

Hold on to your "you can shutdown as long as you like" thought. The Great Depression lasted for ten years despite all of the "keep giving money to people" efforts of FDR.
I spoke to my hair dresser today - yes they are closed - but soon as he opens he figured will be on overtime for a while. Not all business will recover quickly - but if it was a good one - they will recover. Soon as my office opens I’ll be purchasing all we did not have plus some incase we have unforeseen issues. Groceries are empty - people are stockpiling. I expect those with some money will spend it- even faster now that they have not been able to splurge.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Do you understand this is Novel animal virus and we do not have any immunity built for it in our bodies ? It will take quite a while until we do. How many human specimens you want to infect until you are happy the population is now able to withstand it? Maybe you should volunteer first. ? A vaccine will come or a remedy will be invented in some lab - but I prefer to save as many as possible. What’s is your rush??
I have, in effect, volunteered first. I have it. Actually, I am just about through it now. It was awful. I am now signing up to volunteer my plasma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies