Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 10:19 PM

1,768 posts, read 716,639 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this.
Peter Navarro specifically stated today that these export bans would NOT APPLY TO CANADA or MEXICO.
This is the guy responsible for implementing this stuff explicitly stating it.
This thread is full of TDS and blatant misinformation.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:28 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
Peter Navarro specifically stated today that these export bans would NOT APPLY TO CANADA or MEXICO.
Well... that's a quick reversal because initially, it specifically mentioned Canada and Mexico. I showed my citations... can you show yours? Dr. Google shows nothing of the sort.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:28 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
How many parts of the world do you think have western cedar AND a pulp mill that produces K10S pulp? It's a specialty product.

https://www.industryintel.com/public...20face%20masks
I'd imagine Russia and other eastern European nations.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:30 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Well... that's a quick reversal because initially, it specifically mentioned Canada and Mexico. I showed my citations... can you show yours? Dr. Google shows nothing of the sort.
I'd like to know what the actual order said and whether Canada and Mexico were exempted from the jump. I'm tired of relying on hearsay accounts.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:41 PM

15,848 posts, read 6,551,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
If true, that would make a little more sense. They are our biggest trading partners; there's no reason to soil that partnership.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:44 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'd like to know what the actual order said and whether Canada and Mexico were exempted from the jump. I'm tired of relying on hearsay accounts.
I provided accurate links in my OP

Old 04-03-2020, 10:55 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
Blame Trump, it's his fault rah rah rah shis boomba! Thats all you can do everyday without looking at the big picture.

Meanwhile, past administrations catered to globalism and letting every foreign cockroaches filter into our manufacturing.

There are many lessons to be learn from this, one thing is for sure...NEVER we will rely on other countries to supply our critical needs and materials. The revolution will start when this pandemic ends...every rock will be turn to ensure we can make things here ON OUR OWN!

Everyone complains..America first is bad..blah blah...turns out if we only had this strategy along time ago we would have been better off.

But Blame Trump because that's all you got.
I heard on the news tonight that something people will learn from all of this is 'supply chain'.

Quote:
The revolution will start when this pandemic ends...every rock will be turn to ensure we can make things here ON OUR OWN!
The reason we do not manufacture in America any more is because it is cheaper to import from other countries and the u.s. loves to consume at the lower prices. Also (i don't know who, or how many) there are u.s. manufacturing companies that have branched out to various locations around the world; they pay u.s. taxes and they export the manufactured goods from those other countries, back to the u.s. so the u.s. consumer can consume them, again at a lower price. That puts the government winning in the tax column and the consumer winning in the lower price column ... sorry about your revolution.
Quote:
past administrations catered to globalism
Yes ... all the way back to George Washington.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:59 PM

1,768 posts, read 716,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I heard on the news tonight that something people will learn from all of this is 'supply chain'.

The reason we do not manufacture in America any more is because it is cheaper to import from other countries and the u.s. loves to consume at the lower prices. Also (i don't know who, or how many) there are u.s. manufacturing companies that have branched out to various locations around the world; they pay u.s. taxes and they export the manufactured goods from those other countries, back to the u.s. so the u.s. consumer can consume them, again at a lower price. That puts the government winning in the tax column and the consumer winning in the lower price column ... sorry about your revolution.
Yes ... all the way back to George Washington.
Actually they keep the profits in lower tax countries and do not pay US taxes on them (Look at apple untill Trump reduced coporate tax rate).

Nowadays biggest reason for US companies manufacturing in China isn't for labor cost but for access to the chinese market. China for years had tariffs and non financial barriers that are tougher than the tariffs that prevent being able to export much there profitably. Instead for access to the chinese market you have to manufacture there, do a 50/50 joint venture with a chinese company, and share your technology. Our politicians let them get away with this.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:59 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
If true, that would make a little more sense. They are our biggest trading partners; there's no reason to soil that partnership.
You've heard trump, right? and, no ... he doesn't need a reason.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
A number of countries that manufacture N95 face masks have banned their export, so we're not unique in this regard. I don't think it's a great policy, but countries are getting desperate. We can only hope that the manufacture ramps up enough so the market gets flooded and exports start up again. Otherwise we're going to see some ugly retaliations.

Ref.: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...-mask-shortage

Personally I'm all in favor of making an exception for Canada. But DJT is a total d*ck, so this is to be expected.
I hope they dick us over on some trade or threaten to back out of our trade deal. I think we need to be fair to our trade partners especially on this hemisphere. Trade goes both ways folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.