Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 09:04 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Well, we certainly agree there.

The context of the argument being had was that Whitmer was some how dumb or negligent by allowing out of state folks to travel to their vacation homes in MI. I'm betting she simply lacks the authority to stop them.
You are quite probably right and if the matter were sorted out in court some years later charges would likely be dropped. If I were an Ontarian or Ohioan with a cottage in Michigan, I wouldn't want to spend a night in the pokey, or have a ticket hanging over my head.

As a lawyer I get calls on these kind of questions, even though that's not my field. Then again COVID-19 is no one's field, yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 09:05 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Who is "us"?

Were you up at the capitol building in Lansing waving your Gadsden flag and sporting your three-sizes-too-small-tacticool vest with your combat slung M4 without a mask and not observing social distancing?

If so, Chuck was talking to you. If not....

I was trying to find a picture of the woman I was actually referring to. The self proclaimed rebel standing barefoot, in her sweatpants with no mask or gloves. But your pictures portrays it pretty well.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Or a dangerous path restricting a drug she knows nothing about.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. If your loved one was dying what would you choose ? A chance that something might work or just let your loved one die ?
Great retort. I agree with you even though I am "deep blue" politically. And I repped this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The helicopter parents have been attempting a complete takeover for awhile. First with the climate and now through a medical "crisis" This is their moment.
You know, I was thinking about that just yesterday. They tried to cry that climate was an "emergency." When no court would but that (finding some Obama-era rules invalid) this was the perfect excuse to push their dystopian version for society.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I could less what anyone takes as long as it is recommended by a doctor who actually knows what they are doing. What's the problem with that.
Which Whitmer restricted them from doing.
Yes, because it had the propensity to cause a shortage for patients using it as a proven treatment for serious conditions. That very thing was being reported elsewhere contemporarily (do you perhaps mean "contemporaneously"?*************It's all moot at this point, regardless. The restriction has been lifted and we move forward.
Trump came upon the drug by virtue of two studies. It is cheap, in abundant supply and been in approved use for over sixty-five years. If those studies are accurate and the drugs turn the disease into something manageable the drug has the "propensity" to hand the election to Trump on a silver platter since my fellow Democrats were dumb enough to turn this into an election issue. It has nothing to due with any "propensity to cause a shortage."See Israel's Teva donating potential COVID-19 treatment to US Hospitals.

I hate the idea of having Trump re-elected because of such blithering stupidity.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:23 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You are quite probably right and if the matter were sorted out in court some years later charges would likely be dropped. If I were an Ontarian or Ohioan with a cottage in Michigan, I wouldn't want to spend a night in the pokey, or have a ticket hanging over my head.

As a lawyer I get calls on these kind of questions, even though that's not my field. Then again COVID-19 is no one's field, yet.
The biggest challenge, and one that impacts every aspect of the response to the pandemic, encapsulated in one short sentence.

Reps to you.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:26 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That is a very, very small FRINGE element. It is not representative of Republicans, Trump supporters and people that respect the U.S. That would be like saying the violent ANTIFA kooks, and Black Lives Matter (BLM) violent RACISTS represent all or most Democrats.
Couldn't rep you again but this is SO true! I don't know anyone who is defiantly ignoring the government's recommendations and guidelines for this virus and I definitely don't know anyone who would have anything to do with a Confederate flag, and I move in vastly conservative circles.

Many of us conservative types here in the Upper Midwest have very deep roots here, along with ancestors who fought to end slavery in this country. We are not racists and we do not support anything to do with the Confederacy or its symbols. A few loons do not represent the rest of us.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The biggest challenge, and one that impacts every aspect of the response to the pandemic, encapsulated in one short sentence.

Reps to you.
Thanks for the rep.Thanks even though we disagree on almost everything!

Old 04-17-2020, 09:31 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Trump came upon the drug by virtue of two studies. It is cheap, in abundant supply and been in approved use for over sixty-five years. If those studies are accurate and the drugs turn the disease into something manageable the drug has the "propensity" to hand the election to Trump on a silver platter since my fellow Democrats were dumb enough to turn this into an election issue. It has nothing to due with any "propensity to cause a shortage."See Israel's Teva donating potential COVID-19 treatment to US Hospitals.

I hate the idea of having Trump re-elected because of such blithering stupidity.
#1 - Trump didn't "come upon" this drug - he's not some epidemiologist or pharma researcher. Of course he latched on to the first thing that came along with any sort of promise - he knows his job is on the line.

#2 - Calling those two testing scenarios "trials" gives them far more weight than they deserve. Hopefully we start hearing news about the testing in NY soon - that testing scenario was much more controlled.

#3 - It's cheap. It's abundance is questionable, there has been reporting of Lupus and RA patients that can't get their scripts filled since the pandemic started. I'm not sure where we currently stand regarding supply/demand in the US.

#4 - Everyone has politicized this pandemic, not just your "fellow Democrats".

Old 04-17-2020, 10:35 AM

31,072 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
It’s funny to hear this from liberals who advocate risking life to illegally cross our southern border “for a better economic life”. Now it’s “money isn’t worth it”.

Liberal hypocrisy is very passionate, Lol.
Yeah, only the They should determine which life is most important

Old 04-17-2020, 10:49 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
I disagree with the "rally" and have been since I've seen the build up to it on FB. And once I saw some of the footage from it, it became so cringe worthy. It ended up turning into a Trump rally with some extreme right wing kooks and inbreds thrown in.

Some of the footage remains etched into my mind...there was a shot of a female, barefoot, no mask , no gloves claiming she was a "rebel"....oh man...so sorry to see people like that in my state.

I guess that the Democrats have to deal with extreme left SJW's , we on the GOP side have to deal with the extreme right inbreds and racists. Proving extremes are a bad thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Sounds like a Hillary rant. She calls us "deplorables" and you call us "kooks and inbreds".
Wrong on both counts. That's not what either person said, so don't take umbrage under false pretenses.

-1- You don't get to claim you are deplorable unless you are. Hillary did not call all Trump supporters deplorable, but she did say that many deplorable people support Trump (which makes me wonder why you would want to be associated with them, I certainly wouldn't). If you are not a Neo-Nazi or a white supremacist then she was not talking about you.

-2- You don't get to claim you are a kook or inbred unless you are. If you want to out yourself here, and self-identify as a kook that's ok, but I doubt you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies