Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 08:45 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
President Trump is our leader. He created the Space Force. This was launched from a GOVERNMENT facility by NASA. He reopened the program for America after Barack sold us out to the Russians at the price of $85million/seat to ride their rockets to the station.
This is stupid. Wrong and factually incorrect. You should feel bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 09:31 PM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
This is a great engineering achievement by SpaceX and NASA. Some people seek to diminish it be saying that it's not without historical precedent - while that's true, there haven't been many manned space vehicles produced in the 60-year history of manned space flight - it's too difficult and too costly. There is a great deal of complexity involved and the enormous physical stresses in the rocket and the hostile environment of space make for a risky and very unforgiving project.

For the fools who need to rant about politics - you already do that in all the other threads. Give this one thread a rest and let Americans of all political views share some pride, joy, and relief in a complex mission that is going well.
Did you see the propulsion unit land in tact on the drone ship? That's unprecedented... and impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This is stupid. Wrong and factually incorrect. You should feel bad.
What part is false?

Old 05-30-2020, 09:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This was cool. Easily the best thing that happened this whole month in this country!

People are still capable of doing very good things.

Yes this was the best thing to happen to this country.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:49 AM

8,387 posts, read 4,374,196 times
The two people that left the planet are the smartest people I have seen in a good while.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:32 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And the statement I responded to, "At least some of you are giving Trump credit for this launch", certainly makes no pretense of doing so, does it?

And who knows what Trump really wants?

https://spaceflightnow.com/2019/06/0...-moon-program/
I was referring to Moneil who kept saying we had this space program already. I believe Trump created an entirely new Space branch.
U.S. Space Force: Sixth Branch of the Armed Forces

Old 05-31-2020, 09:14 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Since 2011, when the Space Shuttle was retired, the US has been dependent on the Russians to launch US astronauts into space. That will finally change on May 27, 2020, when two astronauts are launched to the ISS using the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft.

I think this is the one where the land the reusable rocket boosters by remote control. It is pretty cool and I am not aware of anyone else doing it.

Of course this is also noteworthy as the first private launch of humans into space and to the ISS. So this will be a pretty big day. As far as us no longer being beholden to the Russians for these launches, that is cause for celebration as well.

This will be the beginning of a bold new day.

"To infinity and Beyond!"
-Buzz Lightyear
I gotta say, that was an amazing spectacle to watch yesterday. All my nerdiness was on full display as I watched with wonder.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:39 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times
The dragon capsule has docked with the ISS. Here is the video:

Old 05-31-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Did you see the propulsion unit land in tact on the drone ship? That's unprecedented... and impressive.
Impressive, certainly, but SpaceX has pulled that stunt off quite a few times now. 30 or so?

Quote:
What part is false?
Let's break it down.
  • President Trump is our leader. - Legally correct, but not much to do with this launch.
  • He created the Space Force. Technically correct, but this launch has absolutely nothing to do with Space Force. The ISS is a civilian program.
  • This was launched from a GOVERNMENT facility... The land is government land, leased to SpaceX. They build, own and operate the launch facilities. NASA couldn't build a jet arm that sleek on their best day.
  • by NASA. - Incorrect. SpaceX is the operator, NASA is a customer. NASA doesn't employ people who can operate a Falcon 9. The launch and flight control center is at SpaceX HQ in Hawthorne, CA.
  • He reopened the program for America - Nonsense. Utter nonsense. The Commercial Crew Program was a 2010 initiative, as has been outlined several times.
  • after Barack sold us out to the Russians... - That's just stupid. The decision to retire the Shuttle was made in 2004, and overdue at that. It was well known even then that there would be a gap. The "replacement" was the porkbarrel boondoggle known as Constellation, which begat the porkbarrel boondoggle known as SLS.

Trmp's amazing accomplishment in this was to resist the temptation to cancel a well-working program, and I grant him whatever credit there is in that. He stayed away in a most statesmanlike manner.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I was referring to Moneil who kept saying we had this space program already.
We had. Moneil is correct.

Quote:
I believe Trump created an entirely new Space branch.
This is a civilian launch, The ISs is a civilian program. Space Force has nothing to do with what happened here.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
This is a great engineering achievement by SpaceX and NASA. Some people seek to diminish it be saying that it's not without historical precedent - while that's true, there haven't been many manned space vehicles produced in the 60-year history of manned space flight - it's too difficult and too costly.
It's worth remembering that SpaceX was the upstart outsider when bidding started in 2010 - not even a decade old as a company. The well-established, experienced, solid aerospace company that ultimately got the bigger chunk of funding - Boeing - flubbed their unmanned test mission a few months back.

Someone said that it's been 39 years since a US astronaut launched in a new-design spacecraft. If Boeing gets their stuff together, we'll have two manned designs operational within the year.

The guys at Roscosmos must be crying in their vodka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies