Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2020, 05:13 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
President Trump showed up for the launch in person and effectively ordered the continuation of this program by not intevening to stop or alter it, the way that Obama did to President Bush's crew launch program in 2009. President Trump supported NASA and SpaceX in their efforts to conduct of the launch. He should be credit for that, much like Obama should be credited for supporting the Navy Seals in their heroic mission to kill Osama bin Laden.

In both cases, the lion's share of the credit properly goes to the people who actually carried out the work and not the presidents who endorsed these important accomplishments.
NASA is one of a few federal agencies to consistently receive bipartisan support.

This is good because most space programs take longer than 4 years to complete, so if every president starts over and there is no continuity then we go nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 05:15 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
Nothing has changed in this forum. Just a giant echo chamber. We sent people to space and the only thing the right can do is blame the left for everything that is occurring now. So much projection.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Trump did make it a point that we should be able to design, manufacture and build things like this in our own nation, using our own workers, hands, brains, machines, factories, rockets, etc. Depending on the rest of the world for all this is not a good long term strategy in my opinion, and Trump's.

I'm happy to see that we as a nation were able to launch two astronauts into space, using SpaceX rockets built in the USA. The launch also took place on USA soil. This wasn't possible under Obama's failed administration. As another poster pointed out, we were woefully dependent on Russia for that. I thought Russia = bad, according to the left?
False and uninformed.

Obama started the commercial crew program which this launch was conducted under.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:17 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
LOL @ lefties who are mad because Trump MAGA

Old 05-30-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
LOL @ lefties who are mad because Trump MAGA
LOL @ righties that have to make everything about Trump to feed his ego.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:19 PM

18,028 posts, read 27,479,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
Doesn't that violate the stay at home orders?
Well, blue cities can always riot and loot while we hurl into space. Happy Weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I have to disagree with this. NASA/ Government have always subcontracted into the private sector.

I'm a Grumman baby still on Long Island. The Lunar Landers were made here by not government, but the Grumman Corporation that engineered and assembled them, as well as a TON of some of the greatest aircraft of the 20th century!

The notion that NASA is just some National bureaucracy that hammers out government rockets and aircraft in their government machine shops and hangers is short sighted, yet prevalent, in this never ending argument.

imo
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Today's mission was named after Joe Biden's Presidential campaign....failure to launch!
Compared to Trumps catastrophic crash and burn...
... And then today Trump turned the Kennedy Space Center into a Trump Rally after a successful Launch! Good job Trump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
But the CEV has absolutely nothing to do with the commercial crew program. It's the project that later turned into the Orion capsule, part of the ill-begotten Constellation program. Entirely different vehicle, launchers, program, everything.

No, he didn't. The Obama administration canceled the Constellation program, to much dismay, although Orion survived.

Congress then re-animated the corpse of Constellation as the "Space Launch System" and it is lumbering along at classical NASA pace, with a possible unmanned launch in November 2021, although I'd not bet money on that happening. The pork must flow.

The commercial crew program was conceived as the antidote to Constellation-type thinking at NASA, and it was introduced in 2010. That is simply a fact. A political and financial gamble that paid off quite well. And, it has to be said, a program that stood on the shoulders of the commercial resupply program (i.e., unmanned), and the credit for that can certainly be laid at GWB's feet.

There is simply no denying that the commercial crew program was an Obama-era initiative. The outcome is on the launchpad today.

On that we agree, and wholeheartedly.
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Obama was all about putting America "IN IT'S PLACE" on the world stage. Meaning unfairly criticize, demonize, and apologize constantly, but also destroy some our our proudest institutions and heritage. Obama would rather launch unmanned drones at civilians than promote American progress and exceptionalism.
Good to know this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
This was Obama's vision for NASA's new direction....
https://www.foxnews.com/transcript/o...-a-new-mission

Quote:
NASA Administrator Charles Bolden says his foremost mission as head of the space exploration agency is to improve relations with the Muslim world. Bolden told the Arabic network Al Jazeera that the Muslim outreach is one of three objectives he was given by President Obama.
"One was he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math -- he wanted me to expand our international relationships and third and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science... and math and engineering," Bolden said.

It had to be seen to be believed, but we quickly learned to never be surprised by anything Mr. Obama said or did. And, for the record, my stance in early 2009 was to give the man a chance.
Good to keep this in mind as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
In the midst of all this political division, how wonderful to witness the accomplishment of space travel of which all Americans can be proud! As it launched, I had those same chills that I did as a kid, watching the Apollo missions lift off.

Bravo, and G-d speed!
Agreed.

Last edited by McGowdog; 05-30-2020 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-30-2020, 05:22 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,499,109 times
Quote:
https://www.livescience.com/spacex-d...h-success.html

While the left works tirelessly to burn America to the ground in the name of fake social justice, smart people have succeeded in MAGA by launching two astronauts into space

We desperately need a new frontier, to escape the angry destructive mob that is the democratic party and their brownshirt foot soldiers. They are a menace to society, and actively working to destroy civilization as we know it. We must rebuild somewhere where we can be safe from them. Maybe space is the answer...

Hmm, let's see. Launched by a company owned by a South African and contracted under a leftist liberal administration. Way to go on getting so much wrong in such a short post.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:25 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Hmm, let's see. Launched by a company owned by a South African and contracted under a leftist liberal administration. Way to go on getting so much wrong in such a short post.

What do you have against immigrants?

And what's wrong with people working together?

So many questions... So many deflections from the left.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:26 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
This is really a wonderful thing to see. That rocket looks to tiny compared to a Saturn V or a shuttle.

Listening to the live coverage, every time I hear them talking about Bob and Doug, all I can think of is "take off, it's a beauty way to go".

After days of watching subhuman savages burning cities and looting businesses, it's good to be reminded just what human beings are capable of.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:27 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
0 credit to trump

All failures for trumpets.

All credit to Elon Musk and SpaceX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies