Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 05:39 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDawg View Post
I agree with the following definition from Wikipedia. Based on their definition, I support nationalism. With that said, there have been "good" nationalists throughout history and there have been "bad" nationalists throughout history. Who were some good nationalists? Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Gandhi. Who were some bad nationalists? Adolf Hitler and Fidel Castro.

I ask because I believe that some have a mistaken idea of what is nationalism. Some view it as being opposed to immigration, for instance. That is incorrect, based on the definition below.

Nationalism - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Nationalism
Nationalism is an ideology and movement that promotes the interests of a particular nation (as in a group of people) especially with the aim of gaining and maintaining the nation's sovereignty (self-governance) over its homeland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalism

Not being reliant on the country where the virus started for medicine and PPE would be a good start.......

Old 04-24-2020, 05:52 PM

159 posts, read 54,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Not being reliant on the country where the virus started for medicine and PPE would be a good start.......
Yea, no kidding. Why didn't anyone sound the alarm on that a long time ago?

Old 04-24-2020, 05:55 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Yea, no kidding. Why didn't anyone sound the alarm on that a long time ago?
Because anyone who dared to say anything would have been targeted by our local political chapter of allies to the ChiComs. They tolerate no dissent.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:02 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
I agree with the following definition from Wikipedia. Based on their definition, I support nationalism. With that said, there have been "good" nationalists throughout history and there have been "bad" nationalists throughout history. Who were some good nationalists? Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Gandhi. Who were some bad nationalists? Adolf Hitler and Fidel Castro.

I ask because I believe that some have a mistaken idea of what is nationalism. Some view it as being opposed to immigration, for instance. That is incorrect, based on the definition below.

Nationalism - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Nationalism
Nationalism is an ideology and movement that promotes the interests of a particular nation (as in a group of people) especially with the aim of gaining and maintaining the nation's sovereignty (self-governance) over its homeland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalism
Works for me. It is insane to put the needs of another nation before your own. Our approach to trade treaties over the last 30 years or more is proof positive of that.

Americans tend to forget what they learned from their mistakes. We forgot lessons learned from giving Japan such an advantage in trade negotiations. We repeat with NAFTA and then China and we wonder why it is so hard to buy made in America.

I remember my father cursing nails that bent easily as Effing Japanese nails. Now we are really screwed with Effing Chinese nails, hammers, pliers nuts and bolts.

Where people get sideways on Nationalism is when they mistakenly think that our way is the only way and refuse to learn from others. Our approach to health care for example. Germany, Japan and Australian doctors are every bit as good as ours. Anyone that would argue otherwise is delusional.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:36 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times
The definition by wiki is somewhat correct, but does not go far enough to explain nationalism, as I believe it should be.
My view of a nationalist country is this.

First, and foremost, it is a nation of citizens working, and striving for the good of the country, and reaping the rewards of a diligent commitment to making all things concerning the country the best in the world.
A country that nationalizes does in fact, shut itself off from the rest of the world, and that is a good thing.
Every thing done with in the country, is for the good of it's citizens.
All products produced, be it food, vehicles, medical supplies, or what ever, would be grown, or made in the country, with enough to satisfy the country, and no more.
A nationalized country would not allow any outside interference from any country, and that would include bans on international travel to and from the nationalized country.
Domestic travel would be the norm.

The country would have it's own military to defend and support the country only, and no other country.
It would not seek, or demand help from any other nation.
There would be no international trade, nor a need for it.
The country would be self sufficient.
It would have a government of it's people, and for it's people, with the goal of making it all work for the betterment of it's citizens.
That is truly a country that is nationalized.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Nationalism is a laughably stupid personal philosophy.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:21 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
What country is highly nationalist but also believes in international trade?

Edit: Actually, I suppose China and India may fit that description.
Japan is both nationalist and extremely trade oriented.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:55 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
To me, nationalism means that policy decisions are made with the interests of Americans in mind and letting that inform those decisions. (Exceptions to be made in dire consequences concerning valid claims of asylum.)

A good example is illegal immigration. It is to the overall detriment of Americans to enable, or outright encourage, millions of unskilled, uneducated people unable to support them families to stream into this country in violation of our immigration laws - and thus nationalists oppose and policies and proposals that range from the establishment of sanctuary cities to bribes that they will get free college educations.

Nationalists would instead want policies that restrict immigration to that which, if not outright beneficial to our country, at least does not cause it net harm. (And to preempt liberals who will scream racism, color and religion are irrelevant.)

Old 04-25-2020, 08:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachfree View Post
Still better than Globalism
Not really. Even globalism has more merit than nationalism.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:35 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
I imagine a bunch of fools who have never left their own country screaming loudly about how it’s the best/toughest/strongest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies