Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 09:37 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Wear a mask if it makes you feel better. It's ineffective and just theater for the sheeple. I'm not modifying my behavior so you sleep better at night. So you wear a mask while shopping and I don't. We both get what we came for and go home happy... well, you're clutching your pearls a bit tightly, but stop worrying about what I'm doing.

No, that's not how it works. A business open to the public must accommodate the public. Wearing masks is not part of the normal behavior and certainly not expected nor mandated by anyone with the authority to do so. If he's a Muslim and has strong feelings about it, must my wife wear a headrag and walk six paces behind me while in the store? He can make it a private club and then exclude anyone he wants afterwards.

That's a different thread altogether.
I went to Target today, they had employees standing the near the entrance, anyone seen coming in without a mask, was pulled aside and given one, and were told customers must wear masks if they are going to shop at Target.

I have heard Walgreens and CVS are now requiring this too (but I havent been to either of those in over a week, so Im not sure).

Old 04-27-2020, 09:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
2nd wave will bring in 300k to 750k new cases then will we will have shut for the new wave to. If you though 4 or 5 weeks shutdown was way to long then get ready for a shut down that last 3 1/2 month if you like it or not. Now if the USA would have locked down like 40% tighter then you could reopen some time in June. May is to early to reopen no state has had a decent number of cases drop yet a few states are increase rapidly.

Nonsense and pure baseless speculation. With an incubation period that averages 5-7 days and a duration that lasts 2-3 weeks, there's no reason a second shutdown would need be any longer than the first one regardless of the absolute numbers. Countries all over the world have vastly different populations and numbers but the time to flatten the curve is roughly the same.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:48 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nonsense and pure baseless speculation. With an incubation period that averages 5-7 days and a duration that lasts 2-3 weeks, there's no reason a second shutdown would need be any longer than the first one regardless of the absolute numbers. Countries all over the world have vastly different populations and numbers but the time to flatten the curve is roughly the same.
While a 'second wave' is surely inevitable, there is no reason for there to be a second shutdown of any length. And woe be to any politicians that calls for one.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:49 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
People we need to be smart about this. It's a pandemic and we need to shut the economy down right now in order for this virus to die down. Then we can start reopening things. Because if we reopen things too soon a second wave is going to start happening and then that will shut down the economy again so we need to do it right once. So we don't have to keep shutting down the economy. That is a smart thing to do but people are very anxious so they are suggesting stupid crap.
Nope-that makes no sense. Based on the infectiousness of this bug, we know "lockdowns" and "social distancing" aren't working. Even with those efforts, 25% of NYC has been exposed and has antibodies-all in just a few weeks. Common sense says you're not stopping a bug like that with a lockdown, especially when a significant portion of the population is still out and about as "essential employees" or going about "essential" business. If testing in NYC showed maybe 1/2-1% exposure, maybe, just maybe, you could do something with a lockdown, but not when 25% already have been exposed. Within the next month, I would bet it will be over 50%...unless they have already reached the point of herd immunity by that time.

So, a very, very large portion of the population will be exposed. A very, very large portion of those will never even know it, or at best will have very minor symptoms. That is especially true in the summer, when warmth and sunlight kill the virus, reducing the level of exposure and thereby the severity of the infection. In the summer our immune systems are the strongest, due to sunlight exposure and vitamin D production. If we're going to be exposed-we want it to happen in the spring and summer-NOT in the fall and winter. That would have the potential to be a disaster.

Common sense says keep the most susceptible, the elderly and those with major health issues, locked down for a while longer. But get younger, and otherwise healthy people back to work and to a normal life. Both to get the economy back to life (if it's not too late already) and to ensure that they are exposed at the optimum time of year when the cases are least likely to be severe. Equally important, that gets us to herd immunity as soon as possible and starts driving this bug to an actual end-when there are not enough susceptible people for an infected person to continue to pass it on. At that point we can let the elderly get back to a normal life. (and I shouldn't say "let"-advise would be appropriate).

A vaccine is nothing more than a controlled, low-level exposure to the virus-one that triggers an antibody response in your body. It isn't the vaccine that protects you, it is your antibodies. No different than a low-level exposure to the actual virus, just with bit more control. Thing is, in a year or two, when the "experts" think a vaccine might be ready, we'll already have herd immunity and the bug will be nothing but a bad memory, and the vaccine will be unnecessary. As I recall, that is what happened with SARS.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:52 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I went to Target today, they had employees standing the near the entrance, anyone seen coming in without a mask, was pulled aside and given one, and were told customers must wear masks if they are going to shop at Target.

I have heard Walgreens and CVS are now requiring this too (but I havent been to either of those in over a week, so Im not sure).
I might have to hit up Target, I could use some more masks.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:06 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I might have to hit up Target, I could use some more masks.
They only give you one and its a very flimsy one!

Old 04-27-2020, 10:41 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You think there should have never been a lock down in the first so your ok with 30mill+ case and 500k deaths These right wingers think this is a hoax the biggest hoax ever and every will be well it is not. What about these meat packing plans getting all the cases over the last 2 weeks Osha should have monitored these places better they have so many workers in the packing plants they can barely walk around. I would rather stay home for 10 to 12 weeks then going out with no lock down and then my chances of dying go up 35% to 40%.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:11 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Aren't all large gatherings such as concerts and games canceled?
Limiting indoor crowds to 100 and outdoor crowds to 500 is a guideline, not a compulsory shutdown.

Avoiding crowds in a place as densely populated as Taiwan is a lost cause though. I'll be taking this subway at the end of work today, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with hundreds of strangers.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:16 AM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
Third day in a row with no new cases of coronavirus in Taiwan.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:11 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The old people can’t resist the stress on their bodies -and they die- but the young get extremely ill. You should search some of the ones that lived to tell you their stories- they come very close to dying. Some younger people are trying to tough it out at home and get massive strokes. Facts
only a minority have such an experience.

for most, it's nothing, or mild, or just like any other flu.

Even severely ill mostly recover.

you have <0.5% chance of dying. Can't believe people are still scared of that, even though they do other things everyday that put their lives at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies