Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 09:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
:::sigh:::

This killed more people in 28 days than the colds and flu did in a year. No signs of letting up. Best way to increase that number is to give the virus some more ammo. Fresh meat. By all means, set everyone free so we can just get this over with.

One of the things people don't consider - I KNOW when I have the flu - I KNOW I'm contagious - and I usually say, "Hey, Bob, I'm not going to make dinner tonight, feeling flu-ish." And Bob will say, "Eh, thanks, I have leukemia so I really don't need that right now."

That type of exchange does not happen with covid - because most carriers do not know they have it. So even if everything else (like the death rate) were equal - COVID would be worse.

But it doesn't change your arguments above - I do not think we can be safe in the long run, and I do think that pretty much everyone that CAN catch it, will. And many will die. (Many more, I mean.) But we're buying time to find a vaccine, to improve treatments, to understand how to REALLY avoid infections - this time is not wasted, even though it's costing real dollars. There's always the chance that your personal "circle" had it - and is over it - and is immune - even if you're not - so now your chances of catching it are really, really reduced. Sure, maybe next year on vacation you might find a new fresh case - and then you'll have about a half of percent chance of dying from it. More if you're older, like most things. But maybe by then we have a vaccine.

So there is logic to both approaches - just depends on your patience and (financial) tolerance.
It ultimately boils down to the fact that many people today are WAY too selfish...they want their quality of life to remain the same and do not want to be inconvenienced in the slightest way, they dont care how many people have to die in order for this to be realized, as long as it doesnt impact their lives or careers.

The world is changing drastically, but they refuse to recognize it, they stick their head in the sand and hope it just goes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 09:15 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It ultimately boils down to the fact that many people today are WAY too selfish...they want their quality of life to remain the same and do not want to be inconvenienced in the slightest way, they dont care how many people have to die in order for this to be realized, as long as it doesnt impact their lives or careers.

The world is changing drastically, but they refuse to recognize it, they stick their head in the sand and hope it just goes away.
The thing is our lives have changed forever. It will never be the same. And it will certainly not get better anytime soon if people continue to ignore this pandemic.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:33 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
Quote:

We can’t let a virus that has a 99% recovery rate change our way if life. Most won’t agree to itn

Old 05-02-2020, 09:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The thing is our lives have changed forever. It will never be the same. And it will certainly not get better anytime soon if people continue to ignore this pandemic.
Yes, people with common sense are able to recognize this...problem is, many people are not able to recognize it, they are fighting for the world to go back to the way it was, (its pointless, that will never happen), the GLOBAL economy has been too negatively damaged at this point, there is no going back now.

In my opinion, we crossed the threshold of the point of no return, about 2-3 weeks ago. the economy is in the process of collapse right now, Govt is scrambling trying to find a solution, but it cannot go on much longer.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:33 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
We can’t let a virus that has a 99% recovery rate change our way if life. Most won’t agree to itn
Ultimately, this.

Not sure what's the best solution, but living this way also isn't an option long-term either.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:38 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Yes, people with common sense are able to recognize this...problem is, many people are not able to recognize it, they are fighting for the world to go back to the way it was, (its pointless, that will never happen), the GLOBAL economy has been too negatively damaged at this point, there is no going back now.

In my opinion, we crossed the threshold of the point of no return, about 2-3 weeks ago. the economy is in the process of collapse right now, Govt is scrambling trying to find a solution, but it cannot go on much longer.
The Fed is printing its little heart away, trying anything it can to prop up all the big corporations, buy junk bonds, whatever it can do. Not sure how it's all going to shake out, but it's going to be painful and ugly and already is.

Viruses could not care less about countries, economies, political parties, central banks or anything else except having a host to survive in. And the way some in the world are treating the seriousness of Covid-19, including here in the US, this virus is going to have a lot of hosts to occupy for some time to come.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:49 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Quote:

When you guys talk like that, what does that mean to you when you say things like "our lives have changed forever" and "we crossed the threshold of the point of no return"?

What do you expect the changes will be that will still be in effect three to five years from now? What requirements and limitations will there be that were not in effect six months ago?

I am really curious about what you think this new dystopian hellscape that you appear to be imagining will consist of.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:56 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
When you guys talk like that, what does that mean to you when you say things like "our lives have changed forever" and "we crossed the threshold of the point of no return"?

What do you expect the changes will be that will still be in effect three to five years from now? What requirements and limitations will there be that were not in effect six months ago?

I am really curious about what you think this new dystopian hellscape that you appear to be imagining will consist of.
This.

If anything, what might change is much more emphasis on proper hygiene and cleanness, which is obviously in no way a bad thing.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:03 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/balajis/s...17347646144513

Does that mean we have to social distance forever?

Does that mean sporting events, concerts, movie theaters, gyms, dine in restaurants, shopping etc will have to close permanently?

Does that mean schools and universities will be online Permanently

Would you be ok with this?
It means that we will have our jobs back, but we can still live without NFL, Superbowl, NBA, concerts and those meaningliess shopping at macys and jcpenney etc.

The biggest take away for me durin this is people have the power to vote and power to not spend needlessly and make others rich.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:25 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
This.

If anything, what might change is much more emphasis on proper hygiene and cleanness, which is obviously in no way a bad thing.
OK.

If people wash their hands more often from now on, is that how "our lives have changed forever"?

Or if people choose not to shake hands anymore, is that an example of how "we crossed the threshold of the point of no return"?

The sort of high drama that our local leftist 'fraidy-cats have been presenting in these threads suggests something much more devious and dire. But what is that? I really do not know. Do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies