Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 10:03 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times

Advertisements

From now on it will be BC and AC--before Corona and after Corona. It's a different world now. This virus will either keep America in perpetual slavery which ends in national bankruptcy or we'll just say to hell with it, open everything up like the Swedes and just accept the high death counts that go along with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 10:04 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Exactly. Right now it's hard to see how things will change going forward, but we can guess:

Telecommuting and distance learning becoming more accepted. Fewer business trips, but more online business meetings (why spend money to send an employee to a distant location when the same discussion can be held via Zoom?).

A move towards increased thrift and self-sufficiency in the general population. Less purchase of bling, but fatter bank accounts and fuller pantries than before COVID-19. More wariness of debt (especially consumer debt).

Some businesses that were struggling prior to the pandemic (shopping malls, movie theaters, etc.) my disappear, or survive in very limited numbers in only a few places.

More barriers to travel (particularly international travel). Boarding a plane may require wearing a mask and passing a temperature check. International travelers may need a Yellow Card documenting their immunization status (now required only for Yellow Fever). Visas may make a return. Some places may require international visitors to self-quarantine upon arrival.

More awareness of hygiene, particularly in the winter respiratory virus. Wearing a mask when out in public may become as acceptable/expected here as it now is in Asia. Public venues may have hand sanitizer stations provided for their customers' use.

We are now living in Interesting Times. It's hard to see the exact shape the post-COVID world will take, but we can know it won't be exactly like the one we knew in December 1919.
Some of this is reasonable

But some is not. Like I said. Eventually we cannot keep everyone away from each othe r

Old 05-01-2020, 10:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Because having certain places permanently closed is not something most people will accept
IF they are under the impression it keeps them safer...you can bet they will definitely accept and tolerate it.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Because having certain places permanently closed is not something most people will accept
Serious question here. What kind of places are you thinking about that most people would object to being closed?

We will all have to come to terms with this virus, because it's with us now. I really don't see most people continuing to patronize businesses/events that they know will endanger them.

Of course, people's judgement of danger will depend on whether effective treatments are available, but most of us do not knowingly expose ourselves to AIDS, even though there are some pretty good treatments these days.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:26 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Some of this is reasonable

But some is not. Like I said. Eventually we cannot keep everyone away from each othe r
I'm curious. Which of the potential changes that I mentioned in my post do you think are unreasonable, and why?

Old 05-01-2020, 02:17 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
How does wearing masks "stop the spread of the virus".

Do you really believe that it does?

What state are you in and what is the name of your misinformation propogating governor?
KY. We have a governor named Andy Beshear.

He gets on the TV every day at 5PM and says almost the same thing to start with, and then he levels out new restrictions. It's always a spin.

It really doesn't surprise me how they spin things. Beshear used to be the attorney general. Back when I was still on disability, his office dispatched investigators to follow me around for about a year. They never could find anything to show fraud. I have a lot of medical problems that were diagnosed over a decade ago. No employer ever wanted to accommodate my medical problems, and the vocational experts said no employer would ever find the accommodations needed for me to work to be reasonable. So, the AG's investigators made stuff up to 'prove' I was a fraud. They even spun my time being homeless during a very cold winter as though I was on vacation. I lost my disability income permanently because the SSA and the AG's office basically committed fraud against me and framed me for fraud. Since I am completely unemployable, I have no chance to ever have an income ever again.

The government even said I was fine to drive when I am on 18 medications and about half of them make me randomly doze off. So, I can now have an excuse if I'm ever pulled over while on my meds since the government already said I could do it. I had always wrote in the forms how I couldn't drive because of the medications and they now insist there's nothing wrong with my driving under the influence. Even the judge said I could drive just fine like that. I've nearly wrecked before because all the medications I take make me randomly doze off or get dizzy. I avoid driving if I can.

After I was thrown off disability they were going to throw me off Medicaid and food stamps too. Fortunately, one of my providers filled out a form saying I couldn't work so that I wouldn't starve to death. I am on chemo to suppress my immune system because I have auto immune disease. One treatment runs over $5k from what I've been told. It costs taxpayers thousands a month to keep me alive. Beshear's office knew and basically was going to just let me die. And he gets on the TV every day telling us how he cares about us and wants to keep us alive.

I really don't have any reason to trust the government. We had no real good options for governor. Bevin was even worse than he is.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:33 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Hows is this shaping the children? Our future,,, they all watched WALL-E

Old 05-01-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Exactly. Right now it's hard to see how things will change going forward, but we can guess:

Telecommuting and distance learning becoming more accepted. Fewer business trips, but more online business meetings (why spend money to send an employee to a distant location when the same discussion can be held via Zoom?).

A move towards increased thrift and self-sufficiency in the general population. Less purchase of bling, but fatter bank accounts and fuller pantries than before COVID-19. More wariness of debt (especially consumer debt).

Some businesses that were struggling prior to the pandemic (shopping malls, movie theaters, etc.) may disappear, or survive in very limited numbers in only a few places.

More barriers to travel (particularly international travel). Boarding a plane may require wearing a mask and passing a temperature check. International travelers may need a Yellow Card documenting their immunization status (now required only for Yellow Fever). Visas may make a return. Some places may require international visitors to self-quarantine upon arrival.

More awareness of hygiene, particularly in the winter respiratory virus. Wearing a mask when out in public may become as acceptable/expected here as it now is in Asia. Public venues may have hand sanitizer stations provided for their customers' use.

We are now living in Interesting Times. It's hard to see the exact shape the post-COVID world will take, but we can know it won't be exactly like the one we knew in December 1919.
That was way before my time. How was it back in 1919?

Old 05-01-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Serious question here. What kind of places are you thinking about that most people would object to being closed?

We will all have to come to terms with this virus, because it's with us now. I really don't see most people continuing to patronize businesses/events that they know will endanger them.

Of course, people's judgement of danger will depend on whether effective treatments are available, but most of us do not knowingly expose ourselves to AIDS, even though there are some pretty good treatments these days.
Endanger them? People used to catch colds, flu, and other things the same way since these places began. These places do not endanger anyone.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:27 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
:::sigh:::

This killed more people in 28 days than the colds and flu did in a year. No signs of letting up. Best way to increase that number is to give the virus some more ammo. Fresh meat. By all means, set everyone free so we can just get this over with.

One of the things people don't consider - I KNOW when I have the flu - I KNOW I'm contagious - and I usually say, "Hey, Bob, I'm not going to make dinner tonight, feeling flu-ish." And Bob will say, "Eh, thanks, I have leukemia so I really don't need that right now."

That type of exchange does not happen with covid - because most carriers do not know they have it. So even if everything else (like the death rate) were equal - COVID would be worse.

But it doesn't change your arguments above - I do not think we can be safe in the long run, and I do think that pretty much everyone that CAN catch it, will. And many will die. (Many more, I mean.) But we're buying time to find a vaccine, to improve treatments, to understand how to REALLY avoid infections - this time is not wasted, even though it's costing real dollars. There's always the chance that your personal "circle" had it - and is over it - and is immune - even if you're not - so now your chances of catching it are really, really reduced. Sure, maybe next year on vacation you might find a new fresh case - and then you'll have about a half of percent chance of dying from it. More if you're older, like most things. But maybe by then we have a vaccine.

So there is logic to both approaches - just depends on your patience and (financial) tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies