Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 06:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I was watching a Trump rally on TV. The reporter asked a group of devotees if they would wear a mask and social distance if Trump gave the orders. They all said yes. I have said this on the record many many times. Trump supporters are sycophants. It's not about the issues. They love and support the man himself and will follow any order he gives them. ANY order given.
It's called "follow the leader" they rave against the mask only because their leader raves against them, and they would wear it if the leader said so. It's sad to see people behave in such weak manner.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:01 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,280,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Location-dependent. It’s not up in NJ or many other states that were hard-hit in the beginning. We’re only seeing hospitalizations up in select states where the virus was slower to reach.
An edit here. Yes, hospitalizations are “up”. A quarter of a percent. Apparently that’s enough of a rise to generate a whole slew of headlines. When will we learn not to gather news from headlines alone?

Old 10-20-2020, 07:03 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's called "follow the leader" they rave against the mask only because their leader raves against them, and they would wear it if the leader said so. It's sad to see people behave in such weak manner.
Wrong again, as usual, at least with me.

I have no complaints about mask wearing - INDOORS.
Outdoors - yeah, I won't do it. And I don't care whether Trump says to wear a mask, or not to wear one. That has no impact.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
An edit here. Yes, hospitalizations are “up”. A quarter of a percent. Apparently that’s enough of a rise to generate a whole slew of headlines. When will we learn not to gather news from headlines alone?
No, some places are hitting record number of hospitalizations. What's the point of pretending its not happening?

Old 10-20-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, some places are hitting record number of hospitalizations. What's the point of pretending its not happening?
Read both my posts. I said hospitalizations are not up in NJ and other states that saw an early wave of infections. Moneill’s post said they’re up, and I’m saying it depends on where you are.

If you all want to claim that a quarter-percent rise is significant, well, that’s why no one trusts the media anymore and why anyone with a brain is going to make fun of the fear-lingering.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:11 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
This thread didn't age too well. COVID-19 is over, right? Phew. I'm glad all that denying it is a problem finally bore fruit. And to think, Trump could have tried to tackle it instead of lying to the American people and downplaying it. And maybe he'd be shown to be a great leader in a time of crisis.

Good thing he missed that opportunity to prove his leadership. I'm sure America will reward him handsomely in two weeks.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:13 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Too bad for you that Covid 19 hit us in March and you were able to lock us down in April and May and perhaps longer in some areas. But the warm weather, and the mask wearing and social distancing and just the general knowledge by a lot of people that our freedoms are being taken away should bring things back to a relative normal by September. If this virus had hit us in July or August for the first time, Trump would have been dead in the water by election day.

I would have preferred it not hit at all, but I didn't get a vote.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Read both my posts. I said hospitalizations are not up in NJ and other states that saw an early wave of infections. Moneill’s post said they’re up, and I’m saying it depends on where you are.
Maybe not in NJ, but some States like TN, they are up 45%.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:27 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Ignorance is not acknowleging that Covid 19 has more than a 99% survival rate if you get it, and are under 70 years old.

Shall we talk about this item?

Or do you want to shove it under the rug?

High risk individuals need to self quarantine and/or take precautions. For everyone else - get back to life. You want to wear a mask & social distance, fine. I don't have a problem with that, indoors. If outside - it's a waste of your time, and I notice that NFL teams, even in blue states like PA are starting to allow fans back into the games. Sturgis motorcycle rally - 200,000 people - turned into a big nothingburger. My post aged just fine, and people are being played for fools.

Ignorance is changing your story and moving your goalposts, in response to your own written response, where everyone (including you) can see what you said back in May, and not even realizing you've been manipulated by the right-wing media you consume.

You said in May it was a non-issue, and that mask wearing and learning would make it go away by Sept, you said if it hit later, Trump would be Dead in the water. (Or something like that, it's not in front of me right now). What happened is that the "non-Trump world" did learn, and did our part, but Trump and his base have no regard for anyone, so they keep spreading.

And here you are, now changing your story to a fake number about survival rates. FYI, 200k dead out of 8M infected is not "more than a 99% survival rate", Do the math before you post fake stats.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:32 AM

Here’s a way to put the “rise” of hospitalizations in NJ in perspective. We have a population of about 9 million people. The new cases make up 0.00000167 of our population. It’s not panic time, folks.

Of course, Murphy says he won’t ease current restrictions on dining and unless you have a kid on the football team or in the band, you’re not allowed to sit outside and watch a high school game. The kids are still in the school building less than half time - alternating with half the school, and only going half days.

At this point, the restrictions are draconian when you look at where we are. And before anyone says that the numbers are only good (if they can even admit that much) because of the restrictions, if you visit any of these towns you’ll see that very few are following guidelines outside of places where they’re mandated. Families are at each others’ homes. Kids are all playing together without masks or distancing. When neighbors meet on the street, they’re not staying 6feet apart and reaching for their masks.

People have grown tired of this, and are becoming quite complacent. It hasn’t resulted in huge new waves. We’ll continue to see serious cases trickle in, but those crippling days are well behind most states. We are closer to the end than some want to admit. This is reinforced with studies like this latest one:

Quote:
Many uninfected individuals have T cells that cross-react with SARS-CoV-2 because of earlier annual coronavirus exposures. In fact, 9 out of 10 people have antibodies to coronaviruses at some point in their lives, though they may last anywhere between months to as long as 34 years.

At present, some investigators estimate a 35% prevalence of helper T cells due to prior exposure to these common coronaviruses, and it is, therefore, necessary that the role played by these cells in the context of clinical severity and outcome be studied.
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...in-the-US.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies